Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Do you want to read my Magical Diary?

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
cover_1161720112010.jpg

detention.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
6 to 5 Ayes for Detention.

Lawful Neutral alignment change.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Got tired of waiting for voting. Pretty sneaky DRM they have in this game :thumbsup:
The base game is a buggy mess that crashes at the second dungeon, and you need to type in a key to patch.

RK47

Patron
I thought the frequency of update is fast enough, Ully. Unless you want to buy the game yourself. :smug:

papillon

Hanako Games
Developer
Got tired of waiting for voting. Pretty sneaky DRM they have in this game :thumbsup:
The base game is a buggy mess that crashes at the second dungeon, and you need to type in a key to patch.

*rolls eyes*

No, that's a custom fake build that we leaked to pirate sites. That's why it has 'YOU LOST THE GAME' images hidden in subfolders.

It was my linux partner's idea. He was sure people would understand that it wasn't a real bug. He overestimates people. :)

The benefit to this is that if a real customer downloads it because they lost their install or something, it does them no harm and they can easily patch up to a working version with their reg key. (We do provide new downloads but sometimes people are shy about asking.)

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Hence the "pretty sneaky DRM" comment. :D
I was torn on the issue because typically this type of game really doesn't mesh with me but otoh the concept seemed strange enough that it could've been entertaining. I figured I'd check out the dungeons that were advertized to see if they'd make up for the long periods of inactivity that are the main turn-off for the genre for me. I guess I'll never know, since by the time the dungeon came up I was already getting a bit bored. I'll consider your snarky response that completely disregards the first sentence in my previous post a small price to pay for not having spent 10 eurobucks on something I would probably have tired of an hour or so from now. Or hey, maybe the dungeons would've made up for it. Guess we'll never know.

As for the updates RK, it's not so much the frequency as the fact that some people already spoiled what was going to happen, including posting what skill tresholds were needed and stuff several times :P

RK47

Patron
16 - It's alright

I really don't get it. They gave us freedom of choice, but punished us when we make the wrong choices. If that is the case, then why give us a choice at all? Might as well have the teacher schedule the student's lessons to stop them from straying from the right path. Send me for detention then.

01.jpg

02.jpg

A look of surprise is written all over her face.

pots.jpg
My. What an unusual girl you are, RK.

+5 Weird

pots.jpg
Well, in that case, I'll excuse you from today's exam. You can cover the material on Saturday with Professor Grabiner.

Sigh. I guess it could be worse, I'm already at 10 demerit points.

pots.jpg
Please pass on the schedules to your roommates.

She waves and goes on her way.

03.jpg

I couldn't get anything into my head during class. I guess that talk with Potsdam is bothering me. And seeing Jerkface on Saturday isn't something to look forward to. So, I've missed my first exam. I didn't fail, nor succeed. I merely...excused myself from it.

The next day arrives.

04.jpg

rk-frown.jpg
Actually, I didn't take it. Prof. Potsdam said I wasn't prepared. So instead, I have detention today.
virg.jpg
What? That stinks! Well, I guess we can tell you what happened, since you would have known if you'd gone.

I listen with interest. Maybe it'll help prepare me for future exams.

virg.jpg
They teleported us into a walled-in dungeon room. No doors. So you have to use magic to get out.

Oh. So it's a practical test.

virg-smile.jpg
I blew up the wall. Mostly, anyway. Old Grabby said that's the boring answer, but I thought it was fun!
rk.jpg
What about you, Ellen?
elle.jpg
Well, I just teleported back out again.

She *knows* teleportation?!

virg-smile.jpg
Hah! That makes sense.
rk.jpg
So will the other exams be more dungeons?
virg.jpg
Probably. Weird how the exams are more fun than the classes, huh?

I actually agreed with that. Learning spells without putting it to practice is just silly.

elle.jpg
I don't think they are.

Now you're just being silly.

virg-frown.jpg
Eh. So what are you guys doing today?

At that moment, there is a knock on the door.

elle.jpg
Is that the allowances? Why didn't they just push them in?
rk.jpg
I'll go check.

Outside our door, I see a small stack of envelopes - the normal ones with the allowances in them, and also a large brown padded envelope addressed to me. My parents sent me something! I head back inside and hand out the money to the other girls.

+$5 dollars.

05.jpg

rk.jpg
Something from my parents. I don't know

It's covered in tapes, it's going to take me a few minutes to get it open.

virg.jpg
It'll still be here later!
rk-frown.jpg
I guess. I have to go do my detention now.
elle.jpg
Good luck..

When I arrive at the detention hall, Donald is already with the Professor.

06.jpg

don-frown.jpg
Yeah, yeah.

Then he notices me.

don-frown.jpg
What are you doing here? Did Urchin sent you?
rk-blush.jpg
Uh, no.
jerk.jpg
Not everything that happens in this school has to do with you, Mr. Danson. As it may not serve my best interests to correct your technique, I choose instead to address your sense of humor.

Wow, Donald must've pissed him off. I wonder what did he do?

jerk.jpg
The sophomore exams involved a large number of Jirseys. Which means their dungeons need cleaning out. Without magic. Get to it.
don-frown.jpg
Yes, sir.

...Dungeon cleaning as punishment? What?

jerk.jpg
Now, for you, Miss 47.

He hands me a strange object that looks like some kind of child's toy. It's a large silver jingle bell imprisoned in a tiny wooden cage - two colorful disks held together by narrow bars all along the rims. I can see the bell and shake it and hear it chime, but the gaps between the bars are far too small to get it out. The cage must have been built around it.

jerk.jpg
Write me an essay describing various magical methods you could use to remove the ball from the cage and the pros and cons of each approach.
rk-frown.jpg
But none of my spells are...
jerk.jpg
You do not need to be capable of casting the spells you describe, but make an attempt to estimate their difficulty and danger.
rk-frown.jpg
Oh.
jerk.jpg
And I require at least ten possibilities before you will be allowed to leave. Get started.

Great. And so the afternoon passes - stressfully. +10 Stress.

07.jpg

On my way back to my dorm, I run into Donald.

08.jpg

don-smile.jpg
It was a crappy job!
rk-frown.jpg
Huh?
don-frown.jpg
I was cleaning up after Jirseys, you know?
rk-frown.jpg
Football jerseys?

He laughs.

don-smile.jpg
I forgot, you're a newbie. Imagine a horse about as tall as a cat, with bat-wings and a long forked tail. That's a Jirsey.

That's... mind-fuck.

rk.jpg
Flying horses?!
don.jpg
More like birds that scream and kick you in the head and go all over the place.
rk-frown.jpg
So you were cleaning up after horse - ewww.

Suddenly my detention seems better in comparison.

rk-mad.jpg
That's horrible! He shouldn't make you do something like that!
don.jpg
Eh, it's not that bad. I used to help out my buds who had dogs back in normal school. I really wanted a pet and my folks wouldn't let me have one.

Yeah, after what you did to a bunch of toads, I can see why.

don.jpg
I was always bringing things home that I'd found and they'd keep throwing them out again. Except the caterpillars. They let me keep those until they hatched.
rk.jpg
Still, that's pretty mean. Teachers aren't supposed to be allowed to make kids clean toilets with toothbrushes anymore.
don.jpg
That's because kids kept blowing up the toilets.
rk-wink.jpg
You wouldn't!
don.jpg
'Course not.
09.jpg

rk-frown.jpg
Uh. What?

He waves and walks away. Next week - detention again? I hope not. I trudge back to my dorms. No one's there, I pull out the package that my parents sent me.

Well, it's not a package really. Just a big envelope wrapped up in tape. I try for a while to pull the tape off, but it's not giving way. Eventually I pull out some nail clippers and use them to make a small hole and tear it apart.

10.jpg

Guess they haven't forgotten me after all. It'll still be quite a while before I get to home... not until Thanksgiving. But they're not really that far away. If they needed me, they could come and get me. I've been here for about a month now. I guess I'm getting used to this life. I flip open my diary to review last week's stuff.

11.jpg

And my spell book.

12.jpg

It's been a long week. I didn't even get to take my first exam. Oh well, there's always next time.

Monday

13.jpg

elle-shock.jpg
Like... president? I don't think...
rk.jpg
What do you have to do to run?
virg.jpg
Not much. You just have to tell the teachers by the end of this week that you want to run, then next week everybody votes.

Hmm. Maybe I should give it a try...

virg.jpg
Oh, and you have to have a clean record, no demerits.

Shucks.

rk-frown.jpg
That rules me out. Unless you know how to get rid of demerits?
elle.jpg
There must be some way to earn merits and balance your record. Maybe you could ask one of your professors to let you do an extra credit project?
virg.jpg
You won't catch me asking for extra work. Anyway... There are only two positions for the freshman class, president and treasurer. The upper classes have more because they do more events and stuff.
rk-frown.jpg
Wait, the freshmen officers don't do anything?
virg.jpg
I'm sure they do something, just not as much. Like, the junior class is in charge of the prom, and that's not a big deal. And then the same people who run the prom junior next year have to run initiation at the start of the next year because elections haven't been held yet. It's a ton of work.

Well, if I could be a president, I'd change the Initiation ritual.

virg.jpg
It's much easier for freshmen. You probably just have to go meetings with the teacher and nod a lot. So are you interested?
elle.jpg
I... No one would vote for me.
virg-smile.jpg
But that's why I'm asking! See, Minnie Cochran is obviously going to win the president position, so it's not even worth trying for that. But the treasurer position is open.

Oooh. Handling money.

virg.jpg
Pastel says Jacob says he thinks he'll win it easy. So I want someone else to win. Anyone else.

Why do you hate Jacob so much, anyway?

virg.jpg
William isn't running for president in his class again this year, so it's perfect! He can endorse a freshman candidate and then they're sure to win.
elle.jpg
I'm not sure that's...
rk-frown.jpg
Why don't you run?
virg-smile.jpg
No way! Class officers have to have meetings with teachers! I see way too much of them in class already. Speaking of which, we need to pick our classes for the week.

Hmm...Treasurer huh? I'm disqualified due to my demerit points - but let's see if I can change that this week. For now, let's schedule classes...

14.jpg

Shadenuat

Arcane
Pretty sneaky DRM they have in this game .
Oh man, just ask some friendly russianscodexers to help. There is more than two places you can get working one.
google magical diary FIXED 1.09

For choice of classes, I am almost with Whiskey Wolf, middle-finger image included :lol: 4 Blue, 1 Black

some people already spoiled what was going to happen, including posting what skill tresholds were needed and stuff several times
My bad. It's hard not to go all weee when you've beaten game three times . I'll be more discreet, as I don't want to ruin great job RK doing.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Nah. No need. I mostly wanted to give it a spin to see if this would be the moldbreaker to end my aversion to those japanese visual novel thingies. It isn't. Better I find out this way than after sinking j€wros into it on steam. The same money will buy me Driver San Francisco AND Red Orchestra 2

Sukeban Cho

Erudite
Nah. No need. I mostly wanted to give it a spin to see if this would be the moldbreaker to end my aversion to those japanese visual novel thingies. It isn't.

You should try...

... if you are into cute witches.

More detailed dating, less detailed magic, better art, much hotter guys, and a character there's simply no way to make tomboyish.

:troll:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I think I'll stick with Mechwarrior Online. Stuffing 3 ER-PPCs into a catapult is magical too. Even if you pretty much overheat from a single shot.

Ashery

Prophet
1x Green, 1x White, 1x Red, 2x Blue

One class a week from the off colors until we get the first spell of each.

ironyuri

1x Green, 1x White, 1x Red, 2x Blue

One class a week from the off colors until we get the first spell of each.

This. Although, I think it should be changed to:

2 x blue, 1 x Green, 1 x White, 1 x Red

So that we are more likely to level up our focus magic tree before mid-week and late-week stress sets in).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom