Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Do you want to read my Magical Diary?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So when do we learn to resculpt our bodies like a Tzimisce? RK needs bigger boobs badly.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
15 - Let's do this!

Just a few more hours? No problem. I'll take it! I follow Prof. Grabiner to a slightly small room, a group of students followed as well. Guess everyone is anxious not to fail this exam. From the whispers I overhear, it seems that no one knows what the tests is going to cover, only that it takes place tomorrow.

01.jpg

I scoot over to where I can peek at Ellen's notes, they're better organized than mine.

jerk.jpg
If you've paid ANY attention to your schoolwork up to this point, you should be aware of a broad range of uses for magic within the pentachromatic system.

Uh.. I only have a rough idea, I only attended 2 out of 5 possible magic classes. Am I in trouble?

02.jpg

Uh oh, here goes...

03.jpg

I can't even remember what Green Magic does. I guess from that question and answer - it must nature magic.

jerk.jpg
I should hope that you would know that much without the need to ask for my approval.

He looks at me. It's time.

04.jpg

I try to remember the school of magic descriptions as reference, red is elemental? Blue is illusion? White is spirit, ehh... Wait! If it's matter changing magic - then it's gotta be just like what Ms. Potsdam's class teaches!

05.jpg

rk.jpg
Uh. Black, sir?
jerk.jpg
Why are you so hesitant? The magic of objects is certainly a possibility.

Whew. I got lucky there. He continues in this vein, putting individual students on the spot to answer questions about the applications of each color of magic. Suddenly his voice cuts off in the middle of a sentence.

jerk.jpg
Mr.Danson.

Oh, isn't that Virginia's brother, Donald?

05.jpg

With a frown, Donald nods and leaves the room. What was that about? I didn't see him do anything, but it's too crowded in here to be sure. I hope all this revision is worth it. It's wearing me out.

Smarts +1
Stress +1

That wasn't so bad.

The next day...

I awaken to a knock on the door. Looking around the room, I notice that Virginia hasn't stirred at all. Ellen's awake, but she shakes her head frantically when I meet her eyes. I guess it's up to me to answer that. I pull on my robe and go to see who it is.

06.jpg

rk-wink.jpg
Ah, Prof. Potsdam! Good morning! What can I do for you?
pots.jpg
I came to deliver your exam schedules. This is a solo exam, so each student has a separate timeslot. Report to the listed room at the time indicated to receive further instructions.

Further instructions at separate times? This exam process is very unusual. As I was about to thank her for the papers, her smiling face suddenly turn into a look of disapproval.

pots-sad.jpg
I"m afraid there is one other thing.
rk-frown.jpg
Eh?
07.jpg

rk-blush.jpg
I... uh...
pots-sad.jpg
I know you're capable of more than this, RK.

But..it can't be helped.

pots-sad.jpg
I want my students to embrace their own strengths, but how can you learn what your strengths are unless you try?

I just wanted to..specialize!

rk-frown.jpg
But I-
pots-sad.jpg
Do you think detention would be useful to you? Some pupils benefit from a more structured environment?

Whaaaaaaaat? How do I answer that sort of question?

08.jpg

Ahhhh don't look at me like that!!!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
But that's what Ms Potsdam expects! time to throw a curveball!

RK has been a bad girl and must be punished!

Shadenuat

Arcane
That's why I adviced to mix some Red or White in :lol:
Hard choice for me.
I know that your Blue is't high enough to shout "Hah! In your face!" afterwards, but missing exam is't that cool... on the other hand, you are already gone weird path, and you also said RK should be a "normal" gal, and I know just the person I can sukebancho you to meet...

TL; DR
Big orange fag in a suit says: "It might be best"!

lightbane

Arcane
Is that a joke? Of course NOT RK shouldn't go to detention, she hasn't done anything wrong (yet)...

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
My choice...

fuck-you.jpg

...and fuck your jack-of-all-trades mentality.

Erebus

Arcane
Specializing is one thing, completely ignoring 3 out of the 5 kinds of magic is another. In the future, I think we shouldn't spend more than two or three days per week on blue magic.

Anyway, let's accept the detention.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Specializing is one thing, completely ignoring 3 out of the 5 kinds of magic is another.
fuck-you.jpg

Don't listen to them, we are getting too powerful and they know it. They want to stop us, fools.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Specializing is one thing, completely ignoring 3 out of the 5 kinds of magic is another.

Well, personally I'd say learning more than 2 kinds of magic at once sounds a bit ridiculous. You can't really become a powerful magician if you spread your points too thin. I know this is a problem common to most single player cRPGs, which expect you to learn everything at once since there are no other party members to back you up. Still, I can't say I like this kind of approach, and a well-done cRPG would rather offer at least slightly different paths/solutions for those specializing in different schools of magic. (I believe Academagia does that, although I can't say for certain since it's been some time since I last played the game.)

Erebus

Arcane
Still, I can't say I like this kind of approach, and a well-done cRPG would rather offer at least slightly different paths/solutions for those specializing in different schools of magic.

I agree that specializing is more interesting and fun than a highly balanced build. But I also think that Blue 50/Black 15/White 15/Green 15/Red 5 is a more flexible and reasonable build than Blue 80/Black 20/Everything else 0 (and that it should also be more efficient).

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I agree that it looks good enough on paper, even though this kind of build really isn't my idea of fun, but do you really need "Red 5"? If I get this right, it means RK should only attend 1 red magic class per month -- sounds negligible (although who knows how it works in this particular game). 15 means about 3 classes per month, which is better (and I definitely agree that we should strive for at least a couple of basic spells in other schools), but again, this means compromising higher-level Blue and Black spells in order to gain some low-level White and Green ones, which doesn't bode well for our character becoming supermegapowerful.

Erebus

Arcane
*cough* err you are discussing magical builds for dating sim for gals

True, that...

Hmm... Maybe a Blue/White build would be for the best : we could improve both our heroine's beauty and her charm !

Sukeban Cho

Erudite
The problem is not with specialization.

The problem is that you guys did not even assist the other opening classes to know -what- they are about to begin with. It would have been smarter to assist to at least one class of each during the first week and then decide on -what- to specialize in if you want to, as you haven't even read the blurb for the other three types.

Also, over specialization can hurt you in this game from what I remember.

So,

Detention it is.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Well, if meta-gaming knowledge tells us specialization hurts, let's go for 40/15/15/15/15 or something like that. :(

Ashery

Prophet
Accept detention :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom