Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do Publishers Understimate Consumers?

Luzur

Good Sir
Annie Carlson said:
About a year ago, a developer I respect said he was certain the game industry was headed for another crash. I didn't believe him then. Now I just hope he's not right.

personally, i think that is what is needed for the business, pierce the boil and cleanse the pus away.

a new start, like after first crash in 1984.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think at least, the voice acting angle will get better in 10 years time. There are damn impressive commercial and academic emotional text to speech projects already.

bhlaab

Erudite
SCO said:
I think at least, the voice acting angle will get better in 10 years time. There are damn impressive commercial and academic emotional text to speech projects already.

Yeah, well let's see how hot shit they are when they're having to pronounce retarded fantasy names

No man-made technology can realistically parse a race of ogres called "Ghfrar'tgh"s

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well phonetics would replace the textual representation in the "special" (retarded) words of course.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The Video Game industry is nowhere near a crash. In 1983, publishers were making games that nobody liked. In 2009, games are consistently being made at a very high quality. Just because there might not be as many games for hardcore players is hardly relevant. When casual players become more hardcore, the industry will adept accordingly. Hollywood and game companies will both need to taper their big spending of course, but this will happen automatically as a matter of cause and effect. Codexers thinking the Game industry will collapse is analogous to republicans thinking the U.S. will collapse. In other words, it has a bad "I told you so" smell to it.

bhlaab

Erudite
LeStryfe79 said:
The Video Game industry is nowhere near a crash. In 1983, publishers were making games that nobody liked. In 2009, games are consistently being made at a very high quality. Just because there might not be as many games for hardcore players is hardly relevant. When casual players become more hardcore, the industry will adept accordingly. Hollywood and game companies will both need to taper their big spending of course, but this will happen automatically as a matter of cause and effect. Codexers thinking the Game industry will collapse is analogous to republicans thinking the U.S. will collapse. In other words, it has a bad "I told you so" smell to it.

I don't think the whole industry will collapse. 1983 technology and public support were in their infancy. Now it's kind of silly to think that the idea of video games can just "go away" like the rubiks cube or wood panelling.

However, I do feel that eventually the pin will have to be pulled on the way the industry does business. And that will be the 'crash' of sorts-- not that people stop buying games, but that publishers and developers are forced to accept that they can no longer sustain themselves in the same way they have with their huge budgets and 'bigger is better' mentality.

The idea that such a crash would bring about some sort of hardcore renaissance is suspect, though. If anything it will bring about more low budget and safe "Amazing Babyz" ds games. I think that there could be a bit more room for titles like AoD to move and breathe, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom