Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DNF 2011 is DNF 2001

Nihilism

Educated
fizzelopeguss said:
Exmit said:

Still looks amazing even today, the fuck happened?

And DN3D was fucking mindblowing back when it was released, it's atill awesome even today.

UT series = fast paced? You are joking right? Only UT99 was fast paced,

2k3 and 4 were faster paced than UT, that's why they sucked, they were a poor mans version of quake 3.

Hatas gon' hate.

Exmit

Scholar
If gearbox will fuck this up , 3drealms will hunt them down and go medieval on their asses

this is from 3drealms site

Apogee and 3D Realms are die hard game players who make games without marketing pressure, corporate management, or arbitrary release dates. We make games we want to play, and we work on them until they are perfected and done. We are hard working, hard playing, highly motivated developers with a mission to succeed at all costs. We hire only the industry's cream-of-the-crop talent--and if you've got the talent, you can join us.

Sad to see they couldn't finish DNF.
Their games were always good.

Death Rally , Max Payne , Duke, Blake stone. no weak titles

MapMan

Arcane
fizzelopeguss said:
Exmit said:

Still looks amazing even today, the fuck happened?

And DN3D was fucking mindblowing back when it was released, it's atill awesome even today.

UT series = fast paced? You are joking right? Only UT99 was fast paced,

2k3 and 4 were faster paced than UT, that's why they sucked, they were a poor mans version of quake 3.

This trailer shows pretty much that was done. I've read an article from one of the ex developers who said that they spent months just making the trailer and after they finished, there still was nothing for the game. Everything you see in the trailer is scripted.

MetalCraze said:
Arcade side of FPS genre was already in decline after a few years since LGS went out of business which truly tried (and managed) to innovate in the FPS.
Today we just have a neverending stream of shitty single player MMOs like Borderlands, Prototype, Stalker, Just Cause and so on with the following arcade series being the ultimate indication of decline:

FPS games? OK, everyone knows you don't even try playing most games you bitch about, but damn son... you could at least bother watching a gameplay vid or two.

fizzelopeguss said:

Yep. It was the first FPS game I've ever seen back at my friend's place in the day when owning a PC was only a dream for a poor fuck like me, and I still happily play High Resolution Project even today, after experiencing all the new shit that has come.

reaven

Educated
Multidirectional said:
Yep. It was the first FPS game I've ever seen back at my friend's place in the day when owning a PC was only a dream for a poor fuck like me, and I still happily play High Resolution Project even today, after experiencing all the new shit that has come.

I don't understand why do people like these High Resolution packs for old games... They look like abominations.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Ed123 said:
Depends. 2D to 3D packs are usually fucking hideous, just like the early 3D games. Mods/packs that "clean up" 2D textures and such are usually quite good.
Most of the "cleaning up" usually involves redoing the textures from scratch and introducing a LOT of details that wasn't there, so they end up like "textures inspired from Doom" (or whatever the game)

Multi-headed Cow

Is there a cleaned up Doom textures pack? Haven't seen such a thing.

reaven said:
I don't understand why do people like these High Resolution packs for old games... They look like abominations.

I don't know about all of those packs but DN3D HRP is just fine. Plus it's not only the textures, it's things like widescreen support and mouse look all in one place that got me using it.

Multi-headed Cow

Cool, I'll check 'em out. I had used new engines like that before, and I had seen ones with the bad 3D models, but I hadn't heard of a high res texture pack. That might be some blasphemy I can get behind.

Not sure what's up with the lack of high res Heretic textures though. They've got the Dooms and Hexen in there.

Exmit

Scholar
High res pack makes duke look like jedi knight from year later

reaven

Educated
Multidirectional said:
reaven said:

I don't know about all of those packs but DN3D HRP is just fine. Plus it's not only the textures, it's things like widescreen support and mouse look all in one place that got me using it.

But you dont need the 3d models and texture to have that. Just the port.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Exmit said:
Apogee and 3D Realms are die hard game players who make games without marketing pressure, corporate management, or arbitrary release dates. We make games we want to play, and we work on them until they are perfected and done. We are hard working, hard playing, highly motivated developers with a mission to succeed at all costs. We hire only the industry's cream-of-the-crop talent--and if you've got the talent, you can join us.

now where did i hear that before...

wide_e-sports_02.jpg

:lol:

reaven said:
But you dont need the 3d models and texture to have that. Just the port.

Where did I say I dislike new models and textures? I get it, I'm not disgusted by sharper textures so I'm not as cool as some of you. Since I'm fine with that, please let me be a newfag in peace.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Multi-headed Cow said:
Cool, I'll check 'em out. I had used new engines like that before, and I had seen ones with the bad 3D models, but I hadn't heard of a high res texture pack. That might be some blasphemy I can get behind.
The high-res pack you can get from JDoom's website (or linked there) is interesting. The wall textures are bullshit, some of them look completely different from the originals. The floor/ceiling textures however (it's a different pack) really do look like cleaned up versions, with no extraneous detail added. I tend to use the floor/ceiling one only.

Not sure what's up with the lack of high res Heretic textures though. They've got the Dooms and Hexen in there.
I have 2 high-res texture packs for Heretic, so they definitely exist.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
DraQ said:
Terra Nova: SFC.
Ah. Sorry, I'm not keeping up on my acronyms. Anyway I wouldn't blame the lack of success of SFC on Duke and Quake. It was, but its design, less likely to appeal to the same masses as the straight shooters (and it certainly was more niche than either of them). And while I wouldn't go as far as calling Duke 3D a work of art... it was a pretty good game.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
fizzelopeguss said:
Next playthrough.....blood.
I'm doing the same. Since I finished Duke 3D again recently I have reinstalled One Unit Whole Blood. I think Blood is my favourite FPS game, but I'm not 100% sure on that, it's hard to choose.
:thumbsup:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom