Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DNF 2011 is DNF 2001

MetalCraze

Arcane
Who gives a shit? It's being made by worthless crap that is Gearbox.

It will suck and there is not a single reason for it to be otherwise.

Exmit

Scholar
They bought 90% from 3drealms , so they might just finish the stuff that 3drealms made

MetalCraze

Arcane
Except 3D Realms didn't make anything. Maybe 1 or 2 levels at best and that will be the only parts that won't suck hard.

Oh and wait - is it multiplatform? Because if it is then there is nothing that will ever redeem it as gameplay will be ridiculously slow.

Lightknight

Liturgist
They bought 90% from 3drealms
90% of what ? 90% of a complete game, or 90% of what 3DRealms made, because when you read some reports from ex-employees at 3DRealms - they made a couple of separate complete locations...and thats it.

Exmit

Scholar
90% of what ? 90% of a complete game, or 90% of what 3DRealms made, because when you read some reports from ex-employees at 3DRealms - they made a couple of separate complete locations...and thats it.

I've read that 3drealms had most of the game complete but they've run out of money, and if those were only 1, 2 levels gearbox wouldn't shit with it, would be pointless to get a 5% product and 'finish it'

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yes of course. That's why after spending so many years pouring tons of money and workhours into the game they cancel it when it was mostly complete?
I've also read that Failout 3 is a true sequel to Fallout. That must be true.

and if those were only 1, 2 levels gearbox wouldn't shit with it, would be pointless to get a 5% product and 'finish it
Buying franchise names is new!

Exmit

Scholar
MetalCraze said:
Yes of course. That's why after spending so many years pouring tons of money and workhours into the game they cancel it when it was mostly complete?

they've run out of money , they asked someone to fund them ( i don't ermember if it was 2k or activision or someone else) but they refused to give them anymore money and they couldn't finish it because sponsors didn't believe them after so many years.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Exmit said:
they've run out of money

So let's see. 3D Realms never made anything apart from a few trailers during the past decade showcasing a few corridors but then BLAM! suddenly the game is finished but then they BLAM! ran out of money? :lol:

Do you seriously try to believe that Gearbox can make a DNF game after the piece of shit that was Borderlands that was like a sleepy hollow thanks to consoles - in contrast to a twitchy DN3D gameplay?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
new one will suck just like the one from 2001 would... and just like old DN did.

Never understood what's so cool in DN series...

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Konjad said:
new one will suck just like the one from 2001 would... and just like old DN did.

Then again, you're not very smart so that's hardly surprising.

zeitgeist

Magister
Exmit said:
they've run out of money , they asked someone to fund them ( i don't ermember if it was 2k or activision or someone else) but they refused to give them anymore money and they couldn't finish it because sponsors didn't believe them after so many years.
The problem with this excuse is that, when you show "90% of a completed game" to someone, they tend to believe you.

MapMan

Arcane
A dude from #fallout says that gearbox is full of shit and they didnt really work on DNF, instead they outsourced a small company created by the folks who left 3d realms. I don't know if it's true or not but gearbox has a history of telling total bullshit to the public.

Lightknight

Liturgist
I've read that 3drealms had most of the game complete
Nope, not even close. All this time they scrapped the entire game no less than 3 times just to change engines, and a few more times to change everything else. Basically what they've done is pre-production design. Do you honestly believe it takes 10 years to make a game ?

DraQ

Arcane
FeelTheRads said:
Konjad said:

Then again, you're not very smart so that's hardly surprising.
There is truth to that, though.

When DN3D brought FO3 grade humour and fairly imaginative weapons to the FPS genre, it was considered so awesome, it overshadowed (along with Q1) some really worthwhile contenders like Strife or TN:SFC.

Unlike RPG genre, FPS genre actually developed over those 14 years. When DN4 brings FO3-grade humour and DN3D style action to modern FPS market filled with titles ranging from dumbest console popamoles, through arcade retro games in vein of Serious Sam, through fast paced arcade DM games like UT series, through serious, semi-realistic shooters in vein of STALKER to almost simulations like Flashpoint, it will be considered...

I don't know what exactly, but I'm pretty sure "awesome" is not the word I'm looking for - maybe something more along the lines of "second coming of Daikatana".

Luzur

Good Sir
i will try and believe in Duke.

and wait until the first "DNF reviewed by Skyway" thread is posted before judging it.

MetalCraze

Arcane
FPS genre actually developed over those 14 years
Only when it comes to Bohemia games - yes.
Arcade side of FPS genre was already in decline after a few years since LGS went out of business which truly tried (and managed) to innovate in the FPS.
Today we just have a neverending stream of shitty single player MMOs like Borderlands, Prototype, Stalker, Just Cause and so on with the following arcade series being the ultimate indication of decline:

fast paced arcade DM games like UT series

UT series = fast paced? You are joking right? Only UT99 was fast paced, then they started to make retarded multiplatforms and since UT2k3 it plays as if you are swimming through the water and same goes for projectiles. They managed to make it even worse in UT3 which is turtle-paced. At least UT2K4 had something going for it with pretty fun Onslaught (which was dumbed down too in UT3)

This will happen to DNF as well.

DraQ

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
fast paced arcade DM games like UT series

UT series = fast paced? You are joking right? Only UT99 was fast paced, then they started to make retarded multiplatforms and since UT2k3 it plays as if you are swimming through the water and same goes for projectiles.
There is always game speed setting (or mutator in the latter games).
And I don't deny that UT'99 is by far the best UT made to this day.

TBH UT3 seems to have inclined in several aspects - for example weapon design, although retardedly elaborate at times (ok, all the time), seems to be a step in the right direction, back towards the cool weaponry of original Unreal. What I can't comprehend are retarded damage overlays on models, and how Flak and Eightball become progressively more retarded with each iteration.

The main problem with UT3 was that it was blatantly unfinished, with very little content, few gameplay modes and lot of hilarious AI screw-ups and such.
UT2k3][, basically.

I would also appreciate if they stopped screwing around with iconic monsters so much. Skaarj became retarded looking brutes in U2 and never recovered, UT3 Kralls look like anything but - I wonder what will they fuck up next.

DefJam101

Arcane
He's right to say that UT99, 2003, and 2004 are slower than say, Quake 1 or 3. Their movement systems are more static, mostly due to lack of strafe jumping and side-dodging as the fastest travel method. 2k3 and 2k4 are also hitscan fests; a common indicator of a slow-paced game.

But comparable to a CoD or a Counterstrike? No, not at all.

Also for those who don't know, the console version of UT2003, Unreal Championship, runs at 80% speed whereas the PC version runs at 100%. Mkay.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Ed123 said:
I loved UT2k4. So much fucking content even in vanilla, a nice fat modding community producing hundreds of maps, minor mods, total conversions, etc.

That's what was redeeming it. However when compared to UT99 it was like sleepy hollow.

Ed123 said:
2k4 also had good muzak :)

It had nothing on Brandon & crew

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If not onslaught and vehicles in UT2k4, original UT would be still better but these vehicles and awesome onslaught mode add much to the game.

Konjad

Patron
and race server are awesome too, where one team needs to complete objectives and the other team must prevent them doing so, I often play on 91.121.23.8:7777.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Exmit said:

Still looks amazing even today, the fuck happened?

And DN3D was fucking mindblowing back when it was released, it's atill awesome even today.

UT series = fast paced? You are joking right? Only UT99 was fast paced,

2k3 and 4 were faster paced than UT, that's why they sucked, they were a poor mans version of quake 3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom