Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

V_K

Arcane
I might remember things incorrectly but if my memory serves me right this is basically the only game (at least recent, of the ones I've played (I must confess that I haven't played the gold box era games)) where for example rain makes puddles which you can then electrify, something that have always bothered me about magic in other games: no environmental effects (or whatever it's called).
Voidspire Tactics has environmental interactions as well (I strongly suspect it was directly inspired by DOS). It even arguably takes them a bit further because they are also used for some slight puzzles. Despite the name, it's also a very open-ended game with a strong focus on exploration, a ton of secrets and alternative non-combat solutions.

toduah

Novice
Patron
D:OS is one of a kind, though I suppose you might also like Underrail :M

Voidspire Tactics has environmental interactions as well (I strongly suspect it was directly inspired by DOS). It even arguably takes them a bit further because they are also used for some slight puzzles. Despite the name, it's also a very open-ended game with a strong focus on exploration, a ton of secrets and alternative non-combat solutions.

It is my understanding that you should be suspicious of parrots on this site so I searched for your posts on Underrail and it seems I was correct (at least on this occasion).

Both of those games looks somewhat interesting to me (Underrail I had naturally already heard about, being a long time lurker here) unfortunately neither of them have a Linux client and I hate everything windows with a passion (wasn't that long ago that I decided to drop windows permanently though, but I've thought about it basically the entire time I've been lurking here) so I only support developers that release their games for Linux as well (no, fuck wine) but if that ever happens then I might get it/them.

(also I realised that I lied before, I actually bought NuXCOM too, but that was like 5$ on steam when I bought it so..)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
With the right marketing I think D:OS could do pretty well in Japan. :M

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Geralt is close to being an anime character himself, lone Ronin wandering the wastes, killing monsters and fucking witches on top of stuffed unicorns... It's practically made for Japan .

Mustawd

Geralt is close to being an anime character himself, lone Ronin wandering the wastes, killing monsters and fucking witches on top of stuffed unicorns... It's practically made for Japan .
Just need to install this mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/951/ and it's done.

Why does he have eye shadow in this image?

951-0-1450491226.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron

Wapanese voice acting is way better than the English, Geralt sounds like a Yakuza boss.

SniperHF

Arcane
Spike Chunsoft handled the localization and publishing. (It's a PS4 only release btw.)
What stopped them from releasing other version in Japanese?

It was said on the official or steam forum (can't remember) that they didn't translate the PC specific UI information for M&KB. So it seems clear that the publisher didn't think it would move many units on PC in Japan.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Spike Chunsoft handled the localization and publishing. (It's a PS4 only release btw.)
What stopped them from releasing other version in Japanese?

Well, based on SteamSpy data, about 8-9K Japanese gamers already have D:OS EE on Steam. I guess it's significant for this kind of game and the PC games market in Japan. (And apparently there's also a Japanese fan translation patch for PC version.) So Spike Chunsoft did not bother.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom