Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Kem0sabe

Arcane
AI is indeed the games weakest point as far as game mechanics go. There is no clear priority list for the AI to attack, no threat assessment, no coherent ability use. If you just spam a few useless summons, the AI will focus on them while you pick them off one by one for example.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Yeah I liked how the enemy who does poison attacks kept focusing on my spider summon. Of course then I charged with madora and discovered it was a bad idea:M

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, I'm much more of an 80s/early 90s RPG fan. I like pun and easter egg overload and generally crazy settings, like Wizardry or Might and Magic's nonsensical mix of magic and sci-fi for example.

I like storyfag games as well, but if I had to choose, I'd take D:OS over any Obsidian game. It's just much more fun mechanics-wise, and funnily much more polished too. I wonder if PoE will surprise me as much in a positive way.

Who was the fag who posted that crafting list? Magical rabbit's paw and rope doesn't make lucky charm belt, doesn't do shit.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Who was the fag who posted that crafting list? Magical rabbit's paw and rope doesn't make lucky charm belt, doesn't do shit.

Spend your magical rabbit paws on rings, +1 speed ring. Gives + movement if its a better paw.

Edit: Another crafting tip, you can "enhance" your weapons with tenebrium easly by just dragging a tenebrium bar on them.
Edit part 2: If you really hate that your characters slipping on ice, just add nails to their boots.

Last edited:

Bladderfish

Augur
Favourite bit so far has arrived courtesy of the dual-dialogue. I had a fight by myself, while my friend was off sorting out his inventory, and after he comes back we have a conversation that starts with (to paraphrase), "I noticed you weren't here during that last fight. Why was that exactly?"

It's a little thing, but a great touch.

bonescraper

Ok, the game is good. Mechanics, content and polish-wise Larian did a very good jerb. But it also has it's share of annoyances.

- It's pretty hard getting into that pixel-precise location behind an enemy to get the backstab effect. This annoys me really often. I really don't like spending my action points dancing behind the enemy, searching for the right position.
- From what i've read so far by the end of the game you can only max out 3 skills. If that's true then it's a really dumb idea IMO. There's a lot of skills so that means you'll either max out the necessary ones (Knight for example - 2h weapons, armor and man at arms), or you'll gimp yourself wasting stuff on cool, but optional shit like crafting, blacksmithing etc. That sucks. And don't tell me to fill the blanks with item bonuses. Items are so fucking random i'm mostly using really old stuff just because it has decent stats on them. And this leads to another point...
- Itemization. Shit, how i hate Larian's random loot. The game could definitely benefit from some hand placed items now and then. And they should do some item balancing (Diablo III style) if they really love their random loot so much. Full plate armor with intelligence and perception? Robes with strength and 2H weapon mastery? Fix that shit! 90% of the loot i find is pure and utter garbage. And what's the point of buying treasure maps, if the loot inside most likely won't be any better than what i find in a random barrel?
- Story and setting. Here's the biggest bugbear for me. Yeah, the game is funny and shit. But that just doesn't work for me. Because of all that humor and the light-hearted nature of the game i really don't care about the setting and the plot. So there's some evil shit going on, and the whole world everythingness is endangered. You're even supposed to make some moral choices from time to time. But every sense of danger and tension is just completely trivialized by slapstick jokes, interent-meme-speaking animals, satanic snowmen and pop-culture refereces. Some occasional humor wouldn't hurt, but at this point it just destroys every single moment the game would like to get more serious, or make you stop think about your choices. Oh, and there's Phelot just outside Cyseal gates. You just can't make a coherent setting when you're filling it with so many in-game jokes and references. It's just like Fallout 2 all over again.

It's a great game, but despite it's solid mechanics and the overall polish i really can't put it next to, let's say, Mask of the Betrayer. It might do a lot of things better than Obsidian's masterpiece, but it can't make me feel even half as engaged and invested.

Shadenuat

Arcane
A question for those who have played to the end; do the state requirements for weapons keep increasing?
Yes but at slower pace than you manage to increase them. You'll need about 12 dex to use highest level bows in game.
I'm not sure it's a good idea to split stats like that though, since INT improves all your spells.

Unlock - only random scrolls or can you learn the spell at some point?
I think it's supposed to be a unique quest-like scroll. There are about as many magical locks in game as I found these scrolls.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I knew I saw an enemy slip!

Anyway, Ormagöden and I played co op for a few hours last night and found that the bleed spell in Witchcraft is... extremely useful when cast on Leech characters.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Coop is hilariously fun, especially when I "accidentally" stun Babitz with my lightning bolt.

A question: what do you get for returning Cecil's staff to him? Because it is rather good and I'd prefer to keep it if possible.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Coop is hilariously fun, especially when I "accidentally" stun Babitz with my lightning bolt.

A question: what do you get for returning Cecil's staff to him? Because it is rather good and I'd prefer to keep it if possible.
+ reputation
you can come to him and tell him you're keeping it. you'll get +evilmotherfucker and good XP and staff

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

You get a big fat f. all. Actually I had a better staff already so it was no issue for me. Oh, if you're a steam achievement hunter, there is one achi for returning the staff, and one for keeping it.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Finally had some time over the weekend to get into this - didn't play beta much since I didn't want to spoil it. I've clocked a bunch of hours but I keep restarting to try different builds - the number of fun combos you can put together in combat is very impressive, as is the amount of detail in the gameworld! Overall it feels a lot like a spiritual sequel to Ultima VII, but with good combat this time - which is what Larian were going for and I think they pulled it off. :incline:

Even normal people (i.e. not just Codexers) seem to like it! :P
It14kGl.png

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I used pretty much only crossbows with my ranger, cost alot more AP, only one shot per turn but when it hits or ricoshets, it hurts.

- From what i've read so far by the end of the game you can only max out 3 skills. If that's true then it's a really dumb idea IMO. There's a lot of skills so that means you'll either max out the necessary ones (Knight for example - 2h weapons, armor and man at arms), or you'll gimp yourself wasting stuff on cool, but optional shit like crafting, blacksmithing etc. That sucks. And don't tell me to fill the blanks with item bonuses. Items are so fucking random i'm mostly using really old stuff just because it has decent stats on them. And this leads to another point...

I'm confused by this. You mean skills or abilities, exactly? Crafting, blacksmithing, 2h weapons, armor don't fall under "skills" category in this game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom