Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

racofer

Thread Incliner
Until A Dance with Rogues gets ported into this game, I'm not touching it.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Finished the gaem in 64 hours.

For a game with so much mechanical freedom, lack of proper narrative freedom and more interesting C&C is surprising. I'm not even sure there are extra endings, or does the way your characters grow matter. It's dissapointing that locations you finish don't really change, even if story just begs for at least small cosmetic changes. Like, you finish winter level, why is winter still coming? There is even a way to change that, but it's not a C&C. But it would be a nice C&C. You help NPC who is supposed to keep balance in one location, why doesn't he then?
Too many cool characters are just bosses to kill. It would be so much cooler if you could strike deals with them. Instead they're just permanently hostile.
Some locations had great potential to become amazing hubs worthy of exploration and new quests and NPCs, but it did not happen. So much work to reach lair of trolls that looks so amazing, but it's just a cave with hostile mobs and randomly generated loot.
Final boss can be blinded & stunned. Wat. I almost did not see his special attacks.

The plot is super epic so it's very hard to care. Your characters are just too epic, too fantasy, too chosenones. Really beating the dead horse there with gods and prophecies and saving the whole world.
Just the writing as a whole is not for everyone.

Relationship with your companion doesn't grow into something interesting. No rivalry or anything. Plot demands I guess.

Quick ride through other poor stuff would probably include broken economy (I did not touch my 99999 gold stack even in the endgame when you can buy a bunch of high level stuff that costs tens of thousands of gold), not very responsive UI (and of course, only 1 bar at a time while you can load up to three), repair/identify items by clicking on every one of them (and I only had ranger's bow to repair, thankfully), some animations that could be hastened (3-5 seconds on healing or rain spell and your mouse still locked as "casting wand") and no checks for non-combat skills in dialogue.

Some quests also can't be finished if key NPCs are dead - they remain in your journal, while it would make more sense for them to "fail" to at least remove themselves from it.

The combat. See previous post. Magic makes it bloody easy because AI doesn't use it's abilities to it's fullest and because magic and crowd control are just too overpowered. I'd imagine party without much magic who will suffer from same effects would actually find it too hard. And in beginning it can be hard if you don't have all the right skills.
It's not entirely symmetrical, sometimes it works for the better, sometimes for worse. Some scripted abilities look nice and make sense, but I found too many bosses rely heavily on infinite adds. They just spam adds unless you kill them so again, mages have huge advantage there because they can easily hold adds with CC or summons (AND the boss lol) while making short work of the big bad.
I imagine devs had to throw adds at you because there is little resource control. No mana/stamina/memorise means you can try again and again during combat to find a more proper tactic.
Also, the resistances are not capped, you can make yourself almost immune to magic.

And when I say it's not symmetrical I also mean that often you just don't see enemies use your own spells against you. I was teleported by enemy once in game, almost at the very end. There is one boss that uses meteor shower. I've met one fight where my party members got charmed. Maybe it's because I just nuke the fuckers before they try and nuke me, but enemy party compositions could be more optimized.

Sometimes enemies rely on scripted ambushes a-la DA2. It's very rare, but when it happened, my first thought was "come on Larian, that's beneath you". With so many options in combat, scripted ambushes and abilities should be unnecessary.

So yeah I want more TPKs. I only suffered a few and in the beginning. There are a few surprising fights but again, just a few. Maps later in game often don't even mix enemies properly.

So what's the good stuff. The options. Holy shit are there many options in combat in this game. They come from your items, your weapons, abilities, environment, weather, positioning, line of sight - you name it, it's probably there. Nothing like seeing charmed enemy leader charging his own minions who got fear spell on them while everyone is skating on ice you created. I haven't laughed so hard since the time when I charmed a bunch of ogre ladies in Nox and they were trying to kill a random rat or something.

Trash encounters are few. Yeah you'll have to murder a bunch of wolves or plants from time to time, but overall game surprises you.

The good stuff that is not combat. Everything that should been praised was already praised. Game is pretty and has great soundtrack. It's Ultima-like. You investigate and explore shit. You actually fucking play, while so many modern games feel like they play for you.

So what was the best part of the game for me. I'd say it was the feel of actually exploring something - without any handholding. The slow walk through huge locations and forests into unknown. Kicking shit around ancient tombs. Gazing on fantastic interiors of wizard houses. Figuring out how to destroy unique enemies. Solving murders and finding hidden lairs. Pixel hunting for that last clue to solve a puzzle. The overwhelming feeling of how big and detailed world is and that much more of it lies behind another chunk of fog of war. The sweet feeling of an adventure.

So 20 dorra (600 russian potatoes) for feeling like little child who stumbled onto something big and amazing and can't stop exploring it. Good deal I say.

Last edited:

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Hehe. Minor spoiler:

Just met Bellegar and had to chuckle at the studio breaking the fourth wall and telling the audience to check out an older game. How very Monkey Island/1990s.

:greatjob:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
What do those stats even do anyway?
Haha, exactly. Over time they amass to give you slight perks on your abilities but... meh.
Fuck you, I dropped the cash. I hope it is better than the kill APEX mission. :P
You will not be disappointed. This is the best game Larian has ever made and one of the better crpgs I've played, period.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
So what was the best part of the game for me. I'd say it was the feel of actually exploring something. The slow walk through huge locations and forests into unknown. Kicking shit around ancient tombs. Gazing on fantastic interiors of wizard houses. Figuring out how to destroy unique enemies. Solving murders and finding hidden lairs. Pixel hunting for that last clue to solve a puzzle. The overwhelming feeling of how big and detailed world is and that much more of it lies behind another chunk of fog of war. The sweet feeling of an adventure.

Well said. I sort of skimmed the majority of your post since I'm still in the earlier stages (nearly ready to leave Cyseal, I'm a slow-moving completionist!) and didn't even want any real mechanical spoilers. But yes, this game handles encounters...in the all-encompassing sense, very very well.

Grunker, shut up already and go play the game instead.

Seriously, ffs.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Shadenuat Do you happen to know the answer to the question I asked earlier ITT?

I have a question about the pressure plate puzzle in Hiberheim, in the same area as the wishing well.

"Something seems to have triggered to the right of here". Anyone been able to find out what has triggered and where? I must've searched every inch around that place.

Murk

Arcane
Question about a certain source related chest near a certain boss in act 1

the chest near braccus rex called the 'source king chest' is locked. I got the key from braccus but it won't open it. am i overlooking something or does this come later?

Question about a certain source related chest near a certain boss in act 1

the chest near braccus rex called the 'source king chest' is locked. I got the key from braccus but it won't open it. am i overlooking something or does this come later?

Come later or use the scroll unlock. That key is for the personal chest.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
:lol: They gave up probably since they can't stop stealing shit and restarting to find out how each class plays.
Gotta wait for that GameFAQs brah.

Zeriel

Arcane
My fav part

In a similar fashion, there are a lot of pretty contrived elements, such as not being able to find a shovel in an entire town, in spite of the fact that graves have been clearly dug pretty recently,

The graveyard he's talking about has a shovel right next to the graves.

giphy.gif

sbb

Learned
Can anyone tell me how the game performs in OS X? A friend is wary of it and would rather not have to dual-boot for it, and he can't seem to find much online.

doggfookker

Educated
Can anyone tell me how the game performs in OS X? A friend is wary of it and would rather not have to dual-boot for it, and he can't seem to find much online.

I am currently playing on a mac while my Windows GAMING laptop is getting fixed. I've played about 25 hours and so far it's only crashed once randomly after loading. It plays pretty smooth at mid-high graphics settings and other than the previous crash has had no problems.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Bros, forgive me if someone asked that question already, but here it comes. I want to recruit some henchmen or another companion to my party. Can someone just give me a slight hint where to find 'em? I have only met the warrior woman in the Inn, but I already have a knight and want something more thief-y or wizard/druid like. Help is appreciated!

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Bros, forgive me if someone asked that question already, but here it comes. I want to recruit some henchmen or another companion to my party. Can someone just give me a slight hint where to find 'em? I have only met the warrior woman in the Inn, but I already have a knight and want something more thief-y or wizard/druid like. Help is appreciated!
It's part of the main quest, just keep going on the murder mystery

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron

cannot into companynz.

Tigranes

Arcane
Shadenuat you're not wrong about the story - I expected this to be a better Divine Divinity, a real DD2, and so far (still Silverglen) it's turning out to be that. Larian's clear weakness is writing and world design in a very specific way; in every single one of their games, they can create lots of levels full of interesting encounters and small funny & lackadaiscal moments, but they have never, ever, shown any real talent in writing an interesting plot or an interesting game setting, or in weaving in recurring themes, long term C&C, etc. Indeed, the worst parts of their game is the main story plot (Bethesda-quality), the recurring NPCs (like that fucking imp), and the almost complete lack of any multiple choices in important parts of the game.

But my expectations were precisely a Divine Divinity+ and I'm still having a blast - you get a sense of adventure, the combat system isn't perfectly balanced but has lots of fun things to do, and the munchkin aspect of it works well despite its problems.

Re. Charmed, I've seen a couple of enemies do charms, such as the orc leader in Luculla Forest (the one in the open), but if you just play with 2 characters a charm spell almost certainly means a reload. I would have liked to see generally more squishy enemies (almost everybody has more HP than my characters) and then they use more funky stuff like teleport.

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, enemies using teleport would be amazing. Imagine a mage teleporting you into the middle of the enemy cluster and getting raped instantly. This, of course, is also why it isn't there. People already complain enough about difficulty.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Got a question about a buggy quest:

Skeleton King's Summoner. So I killed the Baron of Bones and mentioned it to Arhu and he sent me to find out who is behind raising Bracchus. Unfortunately I discovered Thereylon's hut before talking to Arhu and found the evidence that he's the one behind it. So, despite reading his diary there's seemingly no way for me to progress the quest further. Any ideas?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Cool, so there's no intermediary step where I find the dude who's diary I found and/or mention it to someone? After I found it he isn't where he normally was so I'm guessing I'll stumble on to him later?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom