Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Goofiness is good.
The game tried to be serious as well, but it couldn't deliver because they went overboard with the ''goofiness'' and bad jokes.
Goofiness is good but Larian can't handle it very well and that's why they should stop because it makes a lot of potential costumers go away.

pippin

I'd rather have a goofy game than yet another gr1md0rk rpg in which you wear black clothes because they reflect the darkness within you.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Goofiness is good but Larian can't handle it very well and that's why they should stop because it makes a lot of potential costumers go away.

Yeah, just look at World of Warcraft.
Why would you compare an mmo with a sp-coop game?All mmos have some sort of goofiness because the community wants it,sadly I don't remember fans asking Larian to go full retard.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Nah,this time they went full retard with the goofyness and that's why a lot of people lost the desire to finish the game.

:hmmm:

I don't think you can back this up.

All the complaints I see about it is that it's utterly boring, which is the opposite of goofy.

Developers need to understand that TB combat needs a good storyline that makes people to digg through all those pesky trash mobs that consumes 10-15 minute per battle.

:hmmm:

Divinity: Original Sin
B4fun9s.png

Where will this take me once I figure how to use it?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Larian Quebec

xAHtnkH.jpg

Larian St. Petersburg

1I7MRgn.jpg

I wonder how Larian Dublin logo will look like. A drunken leprechaun?

A French article on Quebec studio: http://www.lapresse.ca/le-soleil/af...le-studio-belge-larian-sinstalle-a-quebec.php

By the might of Google Translate:

Within three years, the number of employees will increase to 40, so the studio Quebec will work on his own title, continues Mr. Vincke. "By having three studios working on each title, we will release a game every year. It is a production rate over three years, but we prefer to make quality games rather than to hurry to make games faster. What is the difference between an independent company and one that is accountable to shareholders, "says he.

"we will release a game every year"

:what:

And they're hiring a PS4 programmer: http://www.larian.com/jobs.php?id=13

Pretty much confirms console ports.

Aenra

I'm too old for goofy shit. Naturally, I couldn't get into D:OS

Father of D1P !!! Preacher of the Xbone! Are you kidding me? You buy all those shitty crazy number of games..and you found yourself unmoved from a TB, isometric, Ultima 7 love letter project?

:retarded:

p.s. You should ask The Janitor to give you your old avatar back.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A French article on Quebec studio: http://www.lapresse.ca/le-soleil/af...le-studio-belge-larian-sinstalle-a-quebec.php

Within three years, the number of employees will increase to 40, so the studio Quebec will work on his own title, continues Mr. Vincke. "By having three studios working on each title, we will release a game every year. It is a production rate over three years, but we prefer to make quality games rather than to hurry to make games faster. What is the difference between an independent company and one that is accountable to shareholders, "says he.

Larian wants to make the Call of Duty of oldschool RPGs?

Zeriel

Arcane

Larian wants to make the Call of Duty of oldschool RPGs?

Or just hiring people to port their PC games to consoles, makes sense in light of their "We're not fooling around with controllers, guys!!!! :)))~" articles from a while back.

Xeon

Augur
Man, Hope Larian will continue doing alright and not shoot themselves in the foot.

I think I saw a movies of poor people getting suddenly rich and end up spending money like crazy.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Or just hiring people to port their PC games to consoles, makes sense in light of their "We're not fooling around with controllers, guys!!!! :)))~" articles from a while back.

I'm talking about the annual release schedule with three developers. It's identical to how the Call of Duty franchise is being produced currently.

Zeriel

Arcane

I'm talking about the annual release schedule with three developers. It's identical to how the Call of Duty franchise is being produced currently.

Oh, yeah. On a basic level it isn't that bad (3 years per title is reasonable, 3 studios x 3 years per title averages out to 1 title per year, even if they would technically finish around the same time), but it sure doesn't look good from the outside.

Swen seems to be doing his best Austin Powers impression. "I also like to live dangerously."

Aenra

Mother Infinitron has a point actually, it does sound bad..
An RPG? In one year? No fucking way. Yes, they got the engine, sure, but.. doesn't sound good to me, sorry.. :(

am hoping that something got lost in translation. No offense to our mayo fetish friends up North.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Mother Infinitron has a point actually, it does sound bad..
An RPG? In one year? No fucking way. Yes, they got the engine, sure, but.. doesn't sound good to me, sorry.. :(

am hoping that something got lost in translation. No offense to our mayo fetish friends up North.

Uh, no, you misunderstood what I said. Three development studios. Three years of development for each game, but synchronized so one game comes out every year.

hiver

When has that dream ever worked?

This assumes all of the three games will be good and have good sales.
What happens when the first one doesnt?

And you cant just keep churning out D:Os sequels either. Which means unknowns get into the equations...

Why not instead keep the safety net and work in a relaxed, no publisher, no release dates, no stress environment? Which is most conducive to the artistic juices and talents flowing, which is conducive to creating great stuff.
Not to mention having free time to get the "community feedback" without insane crunch times.

Why the hell do you need three studios and thus three times the problems?

Aenra

Infinitron no, i did get you :)
I just think it..stretched..
Imagine being a studio literally split into three. For the intentions of a single game production, ok, but in three parts nonetheless. Said parts still expected to have designed, compiled, iterated and polished up on a title within a year? On top of the in-communication necessary to reach said point and still have something holistic and organic to showcase. Distance and segmenting aside... Am not saying it's impossible, you just gave examples yourself. Am just saying that to me, this sounds like a lot of pressure, a lot of disjointedness..hence my saying "bad". We got used to a different tune by Larian until late. One i personally prefered :(

edit: This reminds me of the VD thread about the time it takes to make an RPG. With all due respect to everyone, a strict yearly cycle is not enough in my book. Not even near.

hiver

There is no such tech/tool/know-how sharing.

Engines dont and cannot remain the same, internal mechanics change, you cant make three exactly the same games.

Sure there will be a decent amount of knowledge and tools sharing, but thats not as easy and complete as it might seem to those thta dont know better. Especially when games start diverging.

Its a fucking trap! Always was, always will be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom