Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Playing with Undead Phoenix. We're all standing in a giant puddle of water. He makes his henchman cast a lightning bolt spell onto our puddle, stunning the entire party. Skeletons turn us into pincushions. GG. :M

Same thing happens with pools of blood too :) After getting some backstabs against humanoids with my thief, I just electrocute their asses. Then I cast a fireball while they are helpless. If they still move I cast lightning spell again which creates a minor storm in their midst. Creating scorched ground under poison blooded zombies is another treat, every hit becomes minor explosions.

Really loving this games combos. Regretfully most of them only need spells/arrows. My thief and warrior mostly CC stuff with stuns and knockdowns eventhough they can deal good damage to single targets.

Tigranes

Arcane
Not 100% sure what to do with the mystery now, but that's OK, I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually.

Have confronted Esmeralda with love letter & dagger, not able to pick the lock into Evelyn's house, know the Jake's corpse is stolen. I've found a zombie painting in Esmeralda's cellar which looks suspicious but can't do anything with it.

Level 4 and with great difficulty I've cleared the zombie mobs to the west of Cyseal, hope to be able to get into the lighthouse soon.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
We did not believe it would be fair to offer you a version of Divinity: Original Sin that does not include these features, so instead we released nothing at all so that you can sit in misery while watching all your friends play it on other platforms. How very fair of us.

GOG you fucking suck.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Anyone levelled up their Wayfarer yet? Any idea how the spider pet scales (so far it's fantastic but I suspect tougher mobs will just squash it). And how useful is the Pet Pal talent, have I made a horrible mistake to choose it?

I'd like to know some tips about very useful/extremelly useless talents and spells in general.

Perkel

Arcane
Probably it has more to do with with Larian constantly patching game because they couldn't delay it any longer so GOG waits for version that actually is gold instead of releasing different installers every 5 minutes.

This is imo problem which digital era created. Few years back you had to have GOLD master to put in on shelves. If you wouldn't nail bugs those bugs wouldn't be fixed even after you release patch (because most of people don't patch their game). This is also probably why they delayed boxed version. To include latest patches and voices.

Naturally back in that era you would have proper autopatching system or patches would be condensed into actuall proper big patches instead of 5 minute ones.

So it is not GOG fault or anyone else but Larian for not including proper autopatching system in game which wouldn't be using Steam.
I mean i play Factorio which is created by 4 people in czech and my game is up to date everytime and i don't see why Larian couldn't do it if they know they will be patching game a lot.

BTW:

Lone wolf trait is actually lone wolf or just 2 people without companions ?

Gord

Arcane
Pet Pal is alright, offers some alternative solutions to quests (e.g. the murder mystery) and some quests on its own.
You also get access to Larians own version of the quest compass. :smug:

I played the Wayfarer for some time during the Beta. Spider was doing ok (poison immunity helped, too), but due to constant updates I never managed to finish the beta content with the wayfarer and her spider, so I can't say how long the spider stays relevant.

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
pakoito Teleport seems sucky to me, yeah you can open chests and auto pickup shit from a distance, which is cool, but in combat you just toss an enemy to the ground. You can't really have fun with it by teleporting yourself around. Why do you like it?
There's this thing called imagination not everyone has. Teleport allows you for many many positional shenanigans. Let me enumerate some:

My current strat for most encounters is to get at 15m from the enemy group's toughest foe with one char while stealth, and position the other char 15m away from my other char. Then on the first turn I "kidnap" that enemy to my first char location and then the second picks him up from there and puts him by his side. Then the first character pyramids himself to the second. By the end of the first turn you have singled out the biggest threat at 3 walking turns from the group, who is on disadvantage against two opportunist warrior-types with several CC spells each.

Explosive enemies detonate on arrival. Char 1 brings poison/oil barrel and teleports, char 2 teleports explosive zombie or throws fireball. Mass nuke means fight is over before starting.

For small groups I max range projectile from both characters. It takes 2 turns from the enemies to reach me, twice.

I'm frozen in the middle of a group of enemies. My dear colleague picks me up from in between 4 skeletons and brings me to safety, frozen reduces damage to peanuts.

If you advance in the game a bit there are enemies who are strong while standing on their element. Teleport them to opposite surface or else they'll heal every turn.

Several characters sitting on a puddle of water in the beach except two. You can permastun them and make a lvl 7 encounter trivial by lvl 4 but only if you deal with those outside the water because even one of them will 3-4 shot your toons. Heck, you can trivialize that boss fight on the same strat.

Ambushes are way easier if one toon can teleport another who spends the turn running, and on turn 2 he pyramids to safety.

Melee enemies and levels with different heights.

I'm not the end it all of strategists but if I learnt one thing from (war)gaming is that correct positioning is half the battle.

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Spider is an earth spell, shouldn't it scale with it? I summon it most of the time, it is tough but don't have high damage even when poison works. Still good for tanking.
I was dissapointed about fire elemantal at first but then found its ranged knockdown skill :) Great pet for a fire mage, gets free heals from every fire damage.

Pet pal unlocks some quests and helps in some but its mostly there for teh lulz. It is a real pain in the ass to catch that goddamn rats...
I found most of the bleeding skills useless, the highest bleed damage I dealt was 8! with my thief... Immunity spells also gets their better versions as shields so no need to learn them, we can plenty of them as scrolls too.
Other than that most of them skills have nice combos. Basic cold spell which only slows targets become a freeze if they are wet.

Edit: I agree with pakoito , teleport is just awesome. Placing poor enemy mages between my warrior and thief feels so good :)

eremita

Savant
Wow, is it really that good?! Cause I was thinking like playing it someday after I'm done with Storm of Zehir... I might get it now, because it seems the game has pretty smooth start without that much bugs and shit. Who's doing Codex review?

Also, how about classes or "classes"?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Really enjoying exploring every little detail in the map and finding new enemies to fight. Couple of thoughts:

1. Fire Magic is extremely overpowered, most of the environmental puzzles involve fire one way or another, including fights... someone spent their time covering many of the battlefields with oil patches/barrels;

2. Pet pal is essential for the awesome animal interactions, including quest hints and new quests;

3. Melee is very underwhelming and not much fun to play as. Mages have all the cool toys;

4. Encounters are not scaled, thats refreshing as i got my ass handed to me more than once for straying too far from town underleveled;

5. Loot is random tho, while this is good for some variety, it forces you to OCD on every container in the game, because you might just find that awesome magic underwear of poison immunity;

6. Interface and graphics wise, the game is top not and has much higher production values than any KS release so far;

7. Sound wise tho... disappointed by lack of music variety and unfinished voice overs;

8. Combat is fun but the animations are painfully slow and it gets frustrating after a while. Try equipping one your characters with a crossbow and see how ridiculously slow the entire process of attacking, rearming is.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
1. Fire Magic is extremely overpowered, most of the environmental puzzles involve fire one way or another, including fights... someone spent their time covering many of the battlefields with oil patches/barrels;
I believe this is just for the early game, where they want you to be able to progress out of the first 5 levels before getting interesting skills. From the streams you can see snow levels seem to be a majority later on.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So, should I play the game from GOG now, or wait some more for patches. Is there a problem with the GOG version?

7. Sound wise tho... disappointed by lack of music variety and unfinished voice overs;
NOOO! Sound is one of the most important thing for me, especially the music. :(

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
1) Fire is the most straightforward of elements. You can get similar results with the other, but they require more creativity. Fire is excellent early on against the undead though, no argument there
2) Not essential, but fun
3) Rogues can do some fun positioning stuff and fighters are not quite so bad as in nearly every other rpg. Take a dip into a magic school to spice things up if you must, but nothing wrong with a pure fighter/rogue type
4) Yep, is good stuff
5) I don't OCD EVERY container, but I know someone who does :smug:
6) Yep. The chat window in muiltiplayer is a little annoying (it doesn't like deselecting chat when I'm trying to use hotkeys), but everything else is smooth
7) The guy in charge of the music had an extended serious illness which affected the amount he could produce. I wouldn't know how bad it is though, since music is the first thing I turn off in games.
8) Swords, daggers, spears and magic aren't too bad. Haven't checked crossbows.

Angthoron

Arcane
Wow, is it really that good?!
It is!
Cause I was thinking like playing it someday after I'm done with Storm of Zehir... I might get it now, because it seems the game has pretty smooth start without that much bugs and shit.
There might be bugs in later content, but by the point you get to it, I expect it all to be fixed. Larian pushed like 4 patches just yesterday alone.
Who's doing Codex review?
Right now it seems like that'll be me, but I'm going to take some time and enjoy the game rather than rush through it.. Explore, do co-op, things like that, to have a proper opinion on the game. I've played through the beta content completely though.
Also, how about classes or "classes"?
You can play with presets or build whatever you want. Lots of options, and with two characters to start off with, and two easily available companions, you'll probably not fuck your stuff up too badly.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
STR based Melee starts to shine later with some area effect skills and depends on equipment a lot while mages can create electrical stroms, huge explosions, frozen grounds as naked at level 1. 2 handed weapon damage is nothing to laugh at especiaaly when it crits.
But DEX based melee is dissapointing somehow. You can get good backstab damages but most of them useful skills are either CCs or buffs. My thief has a good dagger with air damage on it, haven't seen any successful stuns from her basic attacks ( and you get many attacks with 2 AP cost) while warrior with a fire damage axe burns everyone and their grandparents.

Arkeus

Arcane
Not 100% sure what to do with the mystery now, but that's OK, I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually.

Have confronted Esmeralda with love letter & dagger, not able to pick the lock into Evelyn's house, know the Jake's corpse is stolen. I've found a zombie painting in Esmeralda's cellar which looks suspicious but can't do anything with it.

Level 4 and with great difficulty I've cleared the zombie mobs to the west of Cyseal, hope to be able to get into the lighthouse soon.
Seems like you missed a certain book in esmeralda's house.

Angthoron

Arcane
STR based Melee starts to shine later with some area effect skills and depends on equipment a lot while mages can create electrical stroms, huge explosions, frozen grounds as naked at level 1. 2 handed weapon damage is nothing to laugh at especiaaly when it crits.
But DEX based melee is dissapointing somehow. You can get good backstab damages but most of them useful skills are either CCs or buffs. My thief has a good dagger with air damage on it, haven't seen any successful stuns from her basic attacks ( and you get many attacks with 2 AP cost) while warrior with a fire damage axe burns everyone and their grandparents.
I modified my Knight build at start to implement Dust Devil, the whirlwind AoE. Best pick ever for L1, the sheer amount of damage that does is absurd.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
STR based Melee starts to shine later with some area effect skills and depends on equipment a lot

Does the DOS follow the time-tested RPG tradition of swords being awesome and plentiful and all other weapons being far inferior in quantity and quality? Coz I chose a blunt-weapon wielding cleric just for the usual fun of sporting my lvl1 club for 3/4 of the game and then switching to swords anyway.

Gord

Arcane
I found lots of other weapons as well, but don't they anyway only differentiate between one- and two-handed weapons?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
STR based Melee starts to shine later with some area effect skills and depends on equipment a lot

Does the DOS follow the time-tested RPG tradition of swords being awesome and plentiful and all other weapons being far inferior in quantity and quality? Coz I chose a blunt-weapon wielding cleric just for the usual fun of sporting my lvl1 club for 3/4 of the game and then switching to swords anyway.

You need to pray to the RNG gods. Loot and shop invetory are random. You can use blacksmithing/crafting I guess but need to invest some points in it.

edit: I found many maces and mourningstars btw.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
So, should I play the game from GOG now, or wait some more for patches. Is there a problem with the GOG version?

The biggest problem with the GOG version is that Larian has been doing extensive patching on the Steam version, while they didnt provide the same easy update functionality on the GOG version, theres no auto-update (probably cost saving measure on servers). You will only have that functionality when GOG Galaxy launches (steam like game integration, mp and updating) in august.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

You should get over yourself and buy the game on Steam instead. GOG are horrible people who steal scene cracks without giving credit. No money for potato thieves. :rpgcodex:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

You should get over yourself and buy the game on Steam instead. GOG are horrible people who steal scene cracks without giving credit. No money for potato thieves. :rpgcodex:
There is only one big problem with steam. Me and my brother can't play with games in the same time. Fuck Gaben with this bullshit. Back in the day when I bought a game, I could install it on both of our PC and play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom