Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Roguey is an American.

In theory, it could take longer to ship things over there if Larian doesn't have a good shipping infrastructure in North America. I don't see why they wouldn't, though. I'm sure a large enough percentage of Kickstarter backers are from the US.
They said they arranged similar distribution deals in America and in Europe, so I don't see why Americans would have to wait longer.
Also, people complaining about long shipping time should stick to digital versions.

Tytus

Arcane
Roguey is an American.

In theory, it could take longer to ship things over there if Larian doesn't have a good shipping infrastructure in North America. I don't see why they wouldn't, though. I'm sure a large enough percentage of Kickstarter backers are from the US.
They said they arranged similar distribution deals in America and in Europe, so I don't see why Americans would have to wait longer.
Also, people complaining about long shipping time should stick to digital versions.

Or do what I did with one game I pre-ordered. I had to wait around a week to get my game, so I just dowloaded the caribbean version. Played on that one and when my game finally came, I just transfered my saves. No wasted time.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder how much of the dialogue will be voiced, because surely not all of it? :hmmm:

Anyway, by recording the VOs, Larian ensures itself at least +10 metacritic score for D:OS.

Wait, 10 days? It will be kind of rushed, so probably +5 at most.
So... I actually watched the video and they are voicing the overhad text only, which is a great idea and should work great. :incline:

Also, LOL @ Swen calling out to people, who need to insert their shipping address data, including Barack Obama, David Walgrave (forktong) and Farhang Namdar (Dragon Commander producer).

Avellion

Erudite
I wonder if there will be a mute voice option for the player characters. Just incase the voices would piss me off like what happened to a few other Player character voices.

Xeon

Augur
Yea, I didn't like the voices in IE games and NWN with the repeated lines with every action. IIRC NWN2 allows you to not set any voices which was pretty cool I think.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I wonder if there will be a mute voice option for the player characters. Just incase the voices would piss me off like what happened to a few other Player character voices.
asked them about it in the update page. Hoping for relevant options..

Visperas

Augur
i've just played a bit and I find it amazing. Two small things I noticed. It's too easy to see what's inside the houses from outside. This happens only in towns and such, building with windows or everywhere? Also, inside Cyseal is sunny but it's raining if you step outside...

Zeriel

Arcane
Status Effects: The Game, is a really fun mage simulator with great co-op.

That's the only thing about the game so far I legitimately dislike, the elemental interaction system is cool conceptually, but its way too powerful/dramatic in practice, makes every fight revolve around ground effects and overshadows other potentially interesting aspects of the character system.

You could try and play with pure fighters/rangers/rogues and cast few spells... that would make the various surfaces less ubiquitous, but some fights would become quite tough to beat, I guess.
Anyway, that's one of the thing that still needs some work, yes : never was there a game where you're as likely to die from your own fire... :)

It's numbers tuning where I have a problem, not the concept of ground effects being there and being an element of the game. Kind of like the question of 5 lbs of salt on a dish. I love salt. I love it less when I can only taste the salt, and not the thing the salt is supposed to be seasoning. It's especially a pity because so much of the character system is really cool and left unexplored compared to the dominance of spells. But... there is going to be an editor. So thank god for that.

Zeriel

Arcane
Zeriel have you posted your concerns on Larian's forums?

I usually take a "if I noticed it, someone else certainly did and posted about it" approach to these things. Besides, like I said, if it goes live this way someone will be able to dig into the scripts and rebalance it in 60 seconds the moment the editor is live, so whatever. Maybe some people will like the way the ground damage is right now, and prefer to keep it that way.

Also, Larian reads this thread, so...

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
It's numbers tuning where I have a problem, not the concept of ground effects being there and being an element of the game. Kind of like the question of 5 lbs of salt on a dish. I love salt. I love it less when I can only taste the salt, and not the thing the salt is supposed to be seasoning. It's especially a pity because so much of the character system is really cool and left unexplored compared to the dominance of spells. But... there is going to be an editor. So thank god for that.
He was a lvl 2 boy, she was a lvl 9 zombie, cannot make it more obvious. He had a fire spell, she spawned on a poison patch, what more can I say? He wanted the XP, she wanted death, so he went and casted a spell.

SHE WAS IN FLAMES NOW, DOTED TO DEATH SOMEHOW, LVL2 SPELL WAS GOOD ENOUGH FOR HER ♪ SHE DROPPED A NICE CAPE AND TONS OF EXPERIENCE, HE ALSO GOT A LEVEL U-U-U-UP ♪

Last edited:

Visperas

Augur
He was a lvl 2 boy, she was a lvl 9 zombie, cannot make it more obvious. He had a fire spell, she spawned on a poison patch, what more can I say? He wanted the XP, she wanted death, so he went and casted a spell.

SHE WAS IN FLAMES NOW, DOTED TO DEATH SOMEHOW, LVL2 SPELL WAS GOOD ENOUGH FOR HER ♪ SHE DROPPED A NICE CAPE AND TONS OF EXPERIENCE, HE ALSO GOT A LEVEL U-U-U-UP ♪

:bro:

Disgruntled

Savant
:negative:

June 30th.

I remember having the dilemma between this, MMX and Blackguards. Finished those ages ago, now had nothing amazing in the interim.
Need more of the same, the dark is darker since ive seen the light.

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
Actually in the latest update, the surface gameplay/effects was affected by three changes:

1. When you are on a fire/ooze surface, and it sets the burning/poisoned status, you take damage only from burning/poisoned and not from the surface as well. This used to be the case and you got double damage.
2. When you walk over a surface, you get less damage than before, and I believe it now hits per 2 meters travelled over it instead of each footstep. When standing still, hits you per six seconds (i.e. one turn). I'm not super sure about the details, but something there was changed :)
3. The status damages / saving throws used to tick on your turn, now they do on the turn of the char or object that set them on you, making it easier and more predictable.

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's three people talking to themselves and one post from Larian clarifying that the physical is indeed DRM free.
Yeah, so much drama. (I'm disappoint).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom