Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah, IIRC D:OS is the game that Swen has always wanted to make, and thus the reason for going to Kickstarter, because Publishers would laugh hystericaly if he approached them with this game. LOL Turn Based? Go back to 1980 Grandpa!.

Perkel

Arcane
Yeah dos is supposed to be rpg they wanted to make also creating two games straight to create third in game developement is like playing russian rulette to third shot.

So far they gone independand and they fund games with their money which is super important to make games they want.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
i thought that was supposed to be dos.
I think it's not actually.

From here:
"That’s why in addition to Dragon Commander, we’re also working on an unannounced RPG (which btw is closer on the release horizon than most people think J )"

I think that unannounced RPG was Original Sin. And when they release that, and get the money in (assuming OS is a success), then they will make their "big RPG that will dwarf them all".

Unless Original Sin became their big RPG during the course of its development. Don't know about that though.

Monty

Arcane
Kickstarter helped them progress more quickly but from Swen's last blog post it seems DOS is now at the stage where they have to get it out and hope it's successful enough to make an even better game next time:

The fantastic and completely unexpected thing that happened this last year is that Kickstarter and Steam Early Access worked out so well for us, that suddenly we were able to take some serious shortcuts in this long-term roadmap.

So in a sense, thanks to the help we received from crowdfunding, the game that ships on June 20th will be at the quality level of Game 3 on my roadmap instead of Game 2. Or put differently, the Divinity:Original Sin that will ship is not Divinity Original Sin 1.0 but instead Divinity:Original Sin 2.0.

And because once you commit to an idea, you should commit to it fully or it won’t come to fruition, that means investing in Game 4 by putting even more into Game 3 isn’t that unreasonable.

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I always thought the big one was meant to be D:OS too. But if they want to go ahead and do something bigger and better next time, fine by me. If the current game is any indication, they might be on to something...

Gord

Arcane
Now I'm not sure if I want to play D:OS anymore.
I think I should save myself for the real big one.

Where's the next virginity pledge taking place? :M

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Is the videogame market currently saturated with thousands of turn-based cRPG's all of a sudden? Did I miss something?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
there's no guarantee the next one will actually better than dos. wanting to make a better game and actually making a better game are not one and the same.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
there's no guarantee the next one will actually better than dos. wanting to make a better game and actually making a better game are not one and the same.

Judging by the fact that the first time they tried to make an ambitious RPG (first Divinity), everyone but 3 people got fired there is no guarantee that there will be another game at all.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Judging by the fact that the first time they tried to make an ambitious RPG (first Divinity), everyone but 3 people got fired there is no guarantee that there will be another game at all.
Well the idea now is that they don't need a publisher contract. They should be able to funnel money from the games they own into their new game.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Not yet, only tried it for a very short time (which, in itself, is telling I guess... Though it seems to have some nice things going for it. I plan to get back to it at one point...probably while I wait for D:OS final release.) But I see what you mean...

Gord

Arcane
DC is not a bad game - it can be quite fun, but personally I found it a bit too unfocused and held back by a few strange design decisions.
Still worth checking out, imho.

It should be said though, that you can customize it quite a bit in custom campaign mode, allows for some pretty different playstyles.

Last edited:

Snozgobler

Educated
I will be curious to see how well many of these Kickstarter games do once they're out. I mean, many of the "hardcore" fans will already have be backers, so I'm curious to know just how much of the market is left untapped by crowd source funding.

I played the Dragon Commander multiplayer beta on Steam, I'm sure the full game has significant differences from the small multiplayer beta, but I just couldn't really enjoy the battles that much. I've much more thoroughly enjoyed my time with Divine Divinity and D:OS, and I have no regrets for backing D:OS on Kickstarter. I hope they make enough money post launch to keep on growing and making awesome games.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The "big RPG that will dwarf them all" is obviously something that will compete with Bethesda, Bioware, and CD Projekt, jeez. Vincke's claimed that if he had their budgets he could do something so much better than what they've done.

Zeriel

Arcane
I see no reason to doubt him, personally. He already does better than them with smaller budgets.

Of course, those smaller budgets might be why I prefer his games. Bigger budgets tend to lead to games-as-experiences, rather than games-as-games.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I see no reason to doubt him, personally. He already does better than them with smaller budgets.

Of course, those smaller budgets might be why I prefer his games. Bigger budgets tend to lead to games-as-experiences, rather than games-as-games.
It's all about scope, and they have theirs right. If they went full $50M AAA they could keep D:OS current engine/systems and blow up the world size, loot and skill systems out of proportions. Maybe adding Z-axis mechanics if possible. And that would be my GOTY all years.

Zeriel

Arcane
Roguey also thinks Josh Sawyer is a great game designer, though, on the proof of such soaring classics as Icewind Dale II.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
global chat? good. I need a place to unload all my ascii dicks
B=====D

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Roguey also thinks Josh Sawyer is a great game designer, though, on the proof of such soaring classics as Icewind Dale II.
And New Vegas. He's the best at making the best of bad situations.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom