Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The previous game was far more tactical in that certain spells/attacks were more effective against certain enemies, and almost useless against others.

Aren't there enemies with less physical armor than magic armor or vice versa?

Antigoon

Augur
The previous game was far more tactical in that certain spells/attacks were more effective against certain enemies, and almost useless against others.

On the first map I dont think so. But not super sure. No need to really scout them out anyway. Its pretty obvious what the game wants you to do.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The combat in DOS1 was fun (mostly). The combat here... somehow isn't. I think it's the armour, it just makes the fights drag on and feel more grindy.

Turns out there's a point where more-deterministic combat in a RPG isn't fun. :M

These lessons were learned by Obsidian back in Pillars of Eternity 1.0. Larian finally learning for themselves.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Yes. But you have to go through one of those before they get damage. As opposed to the first game where you could just blast through them with a damage type they weren't immune to.

I haven't been playing long but it looks like the type of magic damage you do doesn't really matter, as long as you take down that magic armor, as opposed to the first game where they had different resistances to different damage types.

Edit: Also: All your awesome abilities like cripple, pin down etc are blocked by physical armor until you take it down. r00fles!!

Last edited:

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I would be fine with armor system if it didn't straight out block effects, maybe having a percentage for the effect to pierce through would be better. At the moment, they literally work as 2nd and 3rd hp bars. Also it doesn't make any sense for trash mobs like source hounds to have both kinds of armor.
Read somewhere that at the end of act 1
companions who are not in the party dies? dat true? should we just pick 3 from the start and stick with them then?
yeah
I thought they were just fucking with me until the journal literally said they died. Now I have no support/healer since Lohse died :negative:

GrainWetski

Arcane

There obviously are. Silent Monks have no phys armour at all, for example. Well, the one in the Orivand fight did, not sure about the others since they're all dead and I can't check.

Yes. But you have to go through one of those before they get damage. As opposed to the first game where you could just blast through them with a damage type they weren't immune to.

I haven't been playing long but it looks like the type of magic damage you do doesn't really matter, as long as you take down that magic armor, as opposed to the first game where they had different resistances to different damage types.

They still have different resistances to different damage types..

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I agree that it's probably not a good idea to have enemies with both types of armor be ubiquitous, especially at the beginning of the game. I think most games would start off with unarmored enemies like in D:OS 1 and only introduce the armor mechanic later.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I would be fine with armor system if it didn't straight out block effects, maybe having a percentage for the effect to pierce through would be better. At the moment, they literally work as 2nd and 3rd hp bars. Also it doesn't make any sense for trash mobs like source hounds to have both kinds of armor.
companions who are not in the party dies? dat true? should we just pick 3 from the start and stick with them then?
yeah
I thought they were just fucking with me until the journal literally said they died. Now I have no support/healer since Lohse died :negative:

Haha wow now that's an extreme way to force a person to replay a large chunk of the game to see all the content.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
In more r00fles news: Burning overrides Wet, even in Rain.

(Anyone who has ever watched Naked and Afraid knows this is pure BS)

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
yeah

Looooooool, that's insane. Who thought that was a good idea? I guess it's a "consequence", though, so incline?

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I would be fine with armor system if it didn't straight out block effects, maybe having a percentage for the effect to pierce through would be better. At the moment, they literally work as 2nd and 3rd hp bars. Also it doesn't make any sense for trash mobs like source hounds to have both kinds of armor.]

Both things are pretty lame.

They have spoiled the combat in this game big time.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow, many design decisions in this game are just completely absurd.
At least on "tactician" mode. Tactician, my ass. The enemies are just stat-pumped.

You really have to do absolutely every tiny quest in the right order to even stand a chance.
And know what is going to happen in every fight beforehand, as not doing so results in certain death.
Walking along a path, get jumped by frogs that just wipe your party with poison and electricity waves before it is your second turn - and I'm not even underleveled.
So, reload, put everyone in a proper position so that only character will get instawiped...
I mean, seriously, didn't they claim they did a lot of testing? Who thought it was a good idea to make almost every encounter basically impossible without prior knowledge?
Even D:OS 1 wasn't that retarded in this aspect.
And of course you have absolutely no money to buy anything. D:OS 1 at least had the decency to drop you in a city where you could steal loads of paintingw to buy at least some basic stuff.

The armor system is complete garbage as what made the first game so good (the effects) is now completely blocked by the armors.
Which you have to "wear down" first in order for ANYTHING to have any effect at all besides damage. Wtf?!
It would be fine if just a few enemies had it as a specialty. But absolutely everything needs to be worn down first before any of the skills you invested your sweet time and money in even do anything.
I am at a complete loss why they would willingly sabotage the greatest strength of their system in such a way.

Wow, I really did not expect to be so disappointed.
At least the start is completely fucked up - not even close to how fun it was in D:OS1.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The armor system is complete garbage as what made the first game so good (the effects) is now completely blocked by the armors.
Which you have to "wear down" first in order for ANYTHING to have any effect at all besides damage. Wtf?!
It would be fine if just a few enemies had it as a specialty. But absolutely everything needs to be worn down first before any of the skills you invested your sweet time and money in even do anything.
I am at a complete loss why they would willingly sabotage the greatest strength of their system in such a way.

At least the start is completely fucked up - not even close to how fun it was in D:OS1.

Completely on point. The status interactions were the most fun aspects of DOS1 combat.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Wow, many design decisions in this game are just completely absurd.
At least on "tactician" mode. Tactician, my ass. The enemies are just stat-pumped.

You really have to do absolutely every tiny quest in the right order to even stand a chance.
And know what is going to happen in every fight beforehand, as not doing so results in certain death.
Walking along a path, get jumped by frogs that just wipe your party with poison and electricity waves before it is your second turn - and I'm not even underleveled.
So, reload, put everyone in a proper position so that only character will get instawiped...
I mean, seriously, didn't they claim they did a lot of testing? Who thought it was a good idea to make almost every encounter basically impossible without prior knowledge?
Even D:OS 1 wasn't that retarded in this aspect.
And of course you have absolutely no money to buy anything. D:OS 1 at least had the decency to drop you in a city where you could steal loads of paintingw to buy at least some basic stuff.

As I said, all the enemies are the Enterprise now. You have to take down the shields first before anything works.

Maybe somewhere down the line you'll catch the chief engineer in the bathtub and steal his shield frequencies. But I doubt it. I think it's just shit design masquerading as INNOVASHUN.

Especially bad wrt to the special abilities. What's the bloody point of special abilities if they aren't special in the first place and are blocked by shields?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, the testers were random people that wanted to test for peanuts. It's unclear what they were supposed to test, or if they tested Tactician at all. It's also unclear how good their feedback was or how much Larian listened to them if it was good.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Speaking of budget, this situation reminds me a bit of VD's interview with RPS nearly a decade ago.

Overall, I’ve witnessed the trend from simple graphics-amazing gameplay to amazing graphics-simple gameplay. Can’t say I’m too happy about it. Take X-COM for example:

1994: It took 7 people to make X-COM: UFO Defense. Two guys who did both design and programming, 2 artists, 2 music/sound guys and a project manager.

1996: It took over 30 people to make a “more of the same” sequel. Now we have 4 assistant producers, 12 artists, 6 level designers, etc.

1997, XCOM: Apocalypse, a game that kinda sucked. Over 50 people team. 5 sound guys. 21 artists. An army of level designers. We even have a brand manager now. Good times are about to roll.

2001: X-COM: Enforcer or Say Goodbye to the Series. Great job managing the brand, assholes.

Whaaaaat you have to be joking. The game could be made by a team of third the size.

Look at those graphics. :smug:

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Look at those graphics.
Yes, the graphics, looks the same like DOS. They could've refurbished so many assets, and really graphics arent that important, its the meaty, satisfying combat that is important. As long as its mechanically sound, and as the icing on the top -it looks good, then im all good with other aspect of the game, not being graphically impressive.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Apocalypse didn't suck though, it was just too ambitious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom