Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes, why have dialogue at all? Let's just have concepts of a conversation, a theoretical framework of how interaction should/could be. That won't backfire at all.

It's a legitimate complaint!

IMO, an under-recognized attribute of late 90s RPGs is that they had dialogue that seemed like it was trying to be an actual "interactive conversation" (influenced by dialogues from LucasArts adventure games, perhaps?). Whereas in newer games, dialogue seems like it's more deliberately structured around the "quest options" available to the player.

Of course that also meant a lot of meaningless fluff, but it had its charm.

Antigoon

Augur
It is weird but for me there are other things that bother me more. Like Butter, who I can pretty much romance as an undead. Including handshake, her touching my non-existing cheek without response. So far nobody gives a fuck that an undead is walking around there

Quillon

Arcane
Read somewhere that at the end of act 1
companions who are not in the party dies? dat true? should we just pick 3 from the start and stick with them then?

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm 99% certain they justify it to themselves with "we couldn't write 7 different manners of speech for every origin + custom char".

Maybe they do. The reasoning back whe this was news to my recollection, though, was roleplaying. Not dictating the players lines, but giving a line where the wording and tone are more vague. Or something to that effect.

I don't really care about the 3rd person dialog. It was weird at first but I can read just as well as direct lines.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Agree 100% with the third person dialogue system. It's just terrible and makes the reading tedious, and it makes me feel disconnected from my character. Shame really.

Maybe a year from now some mod will fix it.

Antigoon

Augur
Read somewhere that at the end of act 1
companions who are not in the party dies? dat true? should we just pick 3 from the start and stick with them then?
That wouldnt surprise me the way they are dumping all npcs on you early on.

imweasel

Maybe you should have complained harder.

Didn't work for "item fever."
I haven't finished the first act yet, but from what I can tell so far the "item fever" has been been cut down quite substantially since the alpha, when I was also complaining about it. E.g. finding an uncommon crossbow is now actually rather uncommon. There are also unique items and uniquely named standard items in the game.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Fully voiced is such a waste, most of the time. To me it goes against the essence of isometric RPG. Better writing would achieve much more in terms of immersion. Besides, it's slowing the game down. I don't have time for waiting a foggy cat to finish its sentence.
Just remembered Irenicus's voice in BG2, maybe it's just about good voice acting vs bad after all? But this narrator's voice, it starts to get on my nerves.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Prime Junta

The combat in DOS1 was fun (mostly). The combat here... somehow isn't. I think it's the armour, it just makes the fights drag on and feel more grindy.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Fully voiced is such a waste, most of the time.

And money. Entirely a concession to slack-jawed retards who view reading as something quaint and obsolete that people used to do, like raising cattle or sew your own clothes. Plus I bet half of them dumbasses switches the narrator off within the first hour anyway.

The combat in DOS1 was fun (mostly). The combat here... somehow isn't. I think it's the armour, it just makes the fights drag on and feel more grindy.

It did feel grindy due to the armor system and maybe the elemental combos not doing that much damage anymore? But maybe it's only Tactician's problem, restarting on Classic now, will see.

Antigoon

Augur
zZrdzFS.png
Yeah totally blocked :/

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
This game is a fucking restarters dream. Every characterbuild makes me feel like I have to start over almost immediately after reaching the fort and often earlier already... :lol:

And once again... Lucky charm proved to be quite valuable early on, but I'm getting cold feet on if a shadowblade will serve in the long run... Fucking hell.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Any way to make game stop adding shit to my clean skill bar every time I pick something up?

Yes, mods fixed it:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1135790676

You're welcome.

A problem is that mods remove achievements for some reason. I know, I know, achievements who cares right? But this decision still falls under "why in gods name Larian?".

Streamlining, nigga.

One step forward - no quest compass. Two steps back - so much voice acting it actually becomes TOO much.

One step forward - All inventories shown on screen at once. Two steps back - everything gets piled onto your hotbar for no reason.

One step forward - Tacticool mode. Two steps back - impenetrable armor rendering the awesome interactive environment of D:OS useless for the first few turns in combat.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, they think DA:I and the Mass Defect franchise are "RPGs" and they have fully voiced protagonists, soooo.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't like the magic/physical armor implementation. It only adds Hit point bloat and consequently boredom. Why don't stick with classic damage resistance or dodge chance?

Now you have another hit points bar to remove before doing damage, and they can recharge it. It only slows fights, doesn't add tactical depth.

Why don't limit this stuff to some not spammable protection/shield spells ?

I'm not sure what to think about all classes having same Action points in combat. It's true that in games like Fallout the action points stat always become a must, but it makes the classes very homogeneous.

I have to play more, but mechanics wise, seems weaker than DOS:1. Maybe it's because I prefer deadlier combat in tactical games. What do you think?

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Wait, people are complaining that PC lines aren't voiced? In a CRPG?

That's what you get for trying to play it towards those people already to ridiculously redundant lengths by voicing everything else.

They probably shouldn't have had VO's in the first place. At most some VIP characters here and there and ambient chatter in crowded areas.

This is another thing that doesn't really bother me for some reason, though. Goes in from one ear out from the other.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't like the magic/physical armor implementation. It only adds Hit point bloat and consequently boredom. Why don't stick with classic damage resistance or dodge chance?

Now you have another hit points bar to remove before doing damage, and they can recharge it. It only slows fights, doesn't add tactical depth.

Why don't limit this stuff to some not spammable protection/shield spells ?

I'm not sure what to think about all classes having same Action points in combat. It's true that in games like Fallout the action points stat always become a must, but it makes the classes very homogeneous.

I have to play more, but mechanics wise, seems weaker than DOS:1. Maybe it's because I prefer deadlier combat in tactical games. What do you think?

It does remove depth. All enemies are now the starship Enterprise with a shield around until you can remove it. The previous game was far more tactical in that certain spells/attacks were more effective against certain enemies, and almost useless against others. Meaning you had to mix up your tactics once in a while.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Good on Swen and Larian.

With success, perhaps we will some day get that non-fantasy game from them.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It does remove depth. All enemies are now the starship Enterprise with a shield around until you can remove it. The previous game was far more tactical in that certain spells/attacks were more effective against certain enemies, and almost useless against others. Meaning you had to mix up your tactics once in a while.

Yeah, I agree, you articulated better than me. I have played lately quite a bit of Underrail, and I think shield protection is much better implemented. For a start, only tough enemies have it, you can melt them with spells, some types of damage get rid of them more easily, and for you it's expensive to get energy to power them up. Now I appreciate even more how mechanically sound Underrail is.

A shame it isn't party based, with that quality combat I would be a blast.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom