Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Why can’t you, though? More than 80% of BGII is optional and except for a few quests none of the side stuff really seeks you out.
Okay, I CAN imagine skipping more than half of the game, but it would greatly surprise me. If I have to guess, I'd say I skipped no "major" quest (stuff like the Cult of the Eyeless, Animal Trouble in Trademeet, and Investigate the Deaths in the Umar Hills) and only missed very minor stuff like Kill Roger's Sea Troll. I know for sure I only completed companions' quest for the ones I brought with me, but that's to be expected unless you play switching companions just to see their content.

I'm trying to find a comprehensive checklist of all quests, but surprisingly I can't find anything. At a superficial glance, the wiki list seems to have some holes (for example, there's nothing regarding the slaves in the Slums). The walkthrough on Sorcerer's Place looks better, do you think I can use that to evaluate how much I missed?
http://www.mikesrpgcenter.com/bgate2/index.html

Mikes RPG center is the best general resource for vanilla BG 1&2 information.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It is virtually impossible to know things like that as an archer you should probably maximize Warfare without looking online guides to plan your party
indeed it sucks. As usual its game of stacking multipliers but dos2 ones are just weird
https://divinityoriginalsin2.wiki.fextralife.com/Damage
Weapon damage: Weapon Base * (1+Element%) * (1+Attribute%+WeaponSkill%+Misc%) * (1+Highground%+Crit%)

Spell damage: Base * (1+Element%) * (1+Attribute%) * (1+Misc%) * (1+Highground%+Crit%)
Yeah, this system obfuscation is terrible.

And I've argued it's why many hate the supposedly bloated armor system, because they're not making effective characters to overcome it.

KateMicucci

Arcane
Is there a mod to fix the level scaling?
Is there a mod to fix initiative?
Is there a mod to revert stats back to the way they worked in beta?

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
How do they fix BG3 when they are making DOS3. You need to put on your Roddy Piper glasses to see the clear obvious truth. Lol

The game will be a...

Shitty BG3

Great DOS3

Slightly Above RPG

So sayeth the truth. :)

It will be an incredible D:OS3 because they finally got the itemization right.
Itemization was what kept me from finishing D:OSII so good to hear.

I finally finished this. I played a suboptimal mixed damage party but after mid Reaper's Coast I didn't struggle
That's because mixed damage isn't suboptimal.

DemonKing

Arcane
I never managed to finish this when it first came out but recently picked up the IOS version on sale given I'm travelling later this year and it has cross-saving with PC. Have to say the Ipad version is the real deal...it basically feels like the PC version just with touch controls.

I still have mixed feelings about the game but the way they managed to get it to work so well on a tablet is pretty impressive.

:hero:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Booted up the game for the first time, made it to the bit where the Lizard gets exploded outside of the Ghetto. Did a small fight and recruited a few companions.

Holy fucking shit it's hard to stick with this game. Here are some complaints in list form.

- The turn-based combat feels incredibly slow and sluggish, there are for sure some settings I can select to speed things up right?
- I ended up going with a Lizard character. Why do I waddle around everywhere? Is there a run option I'm missing?
- Every single thing is voice acted, and it makes me want to shove stakes in my ears. The voice acting isn't "bad", but it's certainly not good and adds absolutely nothing to the game. When I click to my second monitor it trails off, and even when I am focused on the main monitor, I always finish reading the text far before the voice acting finishes, so I basically just skip every line.
- Why the does it feel like every single character is a spell caster? Everyone is casting spells and throwing shit around with tons of particles and effects.
- By god, the writing is horrible.
- The game just drops you in without any real introduction? What the fuck is even going on? So we're a bunch of people that have access to something called the "Source", and when it's used/harnessed, these strange creatures appear? That's all we're given to work with?
- The art style is poor.
- I generally dislike high fantasy settings, but somehow this setting manages to make Forgotten Realms look grounded. So Lizards are just integrated into society? I've already found well over five resurrection scrolls. If they're as common as they seem, why should anyone have to worry about dying?
- Just going through the ship, every single character randomly touched me/wanted to flirt with me. What the fuck?

These are just the first few things that come to mind. I will try to stick with it, but if anyone has any commentary or suggestions, I'm all ears.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
made it to the bit where the Lizard gets exploded outside of the Ghetto
- The game just drops you in without any real introduction? What the fuck is even going on? So we're a bunch of people that have access to something called the "Source", and when it's used/harnessed, these strange creatures appear? That's all we're given to work with?
Bro, you are 1/3 of the way into the tutorial.

- Why the does it feel like every single character is a spell caster? Everyone is casting spells and throwing shit around with tons of particles and effects.
Maybe read the terrible writing, and you'll know.

- Just going through the ship, every single character randomly touched me/wanted to flirt with me. What the fuck?
This is just objectively wrong, and you come off as a feminist complaining that a guy smiled at you.

Every single Codexer turns into a snowflake when they touch Swen's work, its magic.

Yosharian

Arcane

This is just objectively wrong, and you come off as a feminist complaining that a guy smiled at you.

Every single Codexer turns into a snowflake when they touch Swen's work, its magic.
To be fair DOS2 does have some terrible writing

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
You're right actually since the island is literally a prison of sorts for sorcerers/spell casters. Still obnoxious.

Not objectively wrong. The chick who's name starts with an L who was being accosted by kids grabbed my arm and pretended that we were married. The Elf touches a scale or something while reading the book. The Red Prince Lizard touches you/grabs your face when he's looking at you. The Dwarf grabs you when you're listening to the ship. The guy next to the Magister fucks with your collar.

I'm not "offended", I'm just commenting on how laughably dogshit and ridiculous it is.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Just be honest with him and tell him he is indeed playing D:OS2. The situation cannot be helped.

Booted up the game for the first time, made it to the bit where the Lizard gets exploded outside of the Ghetto. Did a small fight and recruited a few companions.

Holy fucking shit it's hard to stick with this game. Here are some complaints in list form.

- The turn-based combat feels incredibly slow and sluggish, there are for sure some settings I can select to speed things up right?
- I ended up going with a Lizard character. Why do I waddle around everywhere? Is there a run option I'm missing?
- Every single thing is voice acted, and it makes me want to shove stakes in my ears. The voice acting isn't "bad", but it's certainly not good and adds absolutely nothing to the game. When I click to my second monitor it trails off, and even when I am focused on the main monitor, I always finish reading the text far before the voice acting finishes, so I basically just skip every line.
- The art style is poor.
- I generally dislike high fantasy settings, but somehow this setting manages to make Forgotten Realms look grounded. So Lizards are just integrated into society? I've already found well over five resurrection scrolls. If they're as common as they seem, why should anyone have to worry about dying?

These are just the first few things that come to mind. I will try to stick with it, but if anyone has any commentary or suggestions, I'm all ears.
I'm not even a big fan of some of the things this game does and how Larian designs some things, but I have to say that half of these complaints strike me as borderline retarded.

A lot of it.

The overall feeling of the turn-based combat is among the last problems this game has. it's ANYTHING but "slugging" in feeling/responsivity.
"Oh no, too much quality voice acting" is an idiotic thing to complain about. But feel free to "stake your ears" at will. "I can read faster than they talk" is an old and recurring RETARDED argument on the Codex, so admittedly I'm not surprised t cross it again, but it's still missing the point by a lightyear.
No idea what the fuck are you even rambling about when it comes to your lizard character.
Also, yeah, in this setting lizard people are supposed to be sophisticated rather than savages. Not sure what's the problem with that.
The game gives all the introduction anyone should need to grasp the premise. Hard to tell what's supposed to be so confusing about it.

I'll concede that the "cartoony" presentation the game goes for is not everyone's cup of tea (and not even mine, frankly speaking), but that doesn't make it objectively bad in quality, either.

I have a list of grievances with the way this game is designed that could go on for a good half hour, but it's mostly on a mechanical level (how core rules work, how things are balanced, etc).
You on the other hand sound like someone who just went in from the start with the mindset of wanting to BITCH about trivial shit.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
The overall feeling of the turn-based combat is among the last problems this game has. it's ANYTHING but "slugging" in feeling/responsivity.
Sitting and waiting for the Voidwoken or whatever the fuck to lumber over to me, having to sit through the same spell animations from all the different characters (all of them have ridiculous effects/animations like stomping rocks out of the ground to shoot people and shooting massive swathes of fire, only to do like four damage. Makes watching them over and over again feel really bad), these are examples of what I mean when I say the combat feels sluggish/unresponsive. I think it's a system of having the game be 3D.
"Oh no, too much quality voice acting" is an idiotic thing to complain about. But feel free to "stake your ears" at will. "I can read faster than they talk" is an old and recurring RETARDED argument on the Codex, so admittedly I'm not surprised t cross it again, but it's still missing the point by a lightyear.
I literally said the voice acting is not quality. I said it's not absolutely horrible, but it's definitely not good, and I would much prefer if the game had none of it. Disco Elysium had amazing voice acting and I praised the game for it even despite the fact that I could read faster than they talk and all the other critiques that I can and have applied to D:OS2's voice acting which you don't seem to care for. The voice acting from what I've heard is just not good, and outside of a few rare RPGs, few games ever manage to do it well, which is why I prefer if they didn't bother.
No idea what the fuck are you even rambling about when it comes to your lizard character.
The animation for lizards as they move around the map. It looks bad, and more importantly, feels super slow. I don't think it's just a lizard thing, all the characters seem to float over the terrain.
Also, yeah, in this setting lizard people are supposed to be sophisticated rather than savages. Not sure what's the problem with that.
I could write paragraphs about why shit like this in fantasy settings is retarded, but I can't be arsed now. If you don't see any issue with gigantic lizard people, (elves and dwarves too for that matter, but that's more acceptable) living side by side with humans, I'm not sure what to say. Also funny how from what I've seen, you could have made the Lizard characters human and literally nothing would be different. Obviously I'm like an hour and a half into the game, but the point stands, and I really despise this kitchen sink attitude that modern fantasy settings have.
The game gives all the introduction anyone should need to grasp the premise. Hard to tell what's supposed to be so confusing about it.
Confusing isn't the right word. The introduction was just so brief and I literally can't give a fuck. Compare this introduction to what we see in the IE games, or the sheer uniqueness of the settings in games like AoD, Underrail, Vagrus, etc, and D:OS2 has made zero impression on me thus far in regards to what the setting is like. Well, that's not true, it has made a negative impression rather.
I'll concede that the "cartoony" presentation the game goes for is not everyone's cup of tea (and not even mine, frankly speaking), but that doesn't make it objectively bad in quality, either.
This same argument could be used to justify all sorts of shit, but all I said was that it has a poor art style. The fact that I didn't rip into it goes to show that I understand and agree to some extent with what you're saying. That being said, even though there's nothing wrong with it "mechanically", it just isn't good imo and that's a valid critique.
You on the other hand sound like someone who just went in from the start with the mindset of wanting to BITCH about trivial shit.
I've said it before, I am very picky when it comes to enjoying games. It's hard to capture my interest, I do notice all of these things and they do really bother me. It's not like I'm shitting over D:OS2 while playing garbage on the side, every cRPG I enjoy is a super high level one because that's how high my bar is.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
started playing this again and I wonder why there is no holy/light magic in this game. wanted to make a paladin, opted for “holy” fire magic instead.

I have to say that the graphics are beautiful and the combat nice and strategic even on the earliest level. I do hope it gets more and more complex. Playing on Classic difficulty and just did the teleportation gloves quest in the beginning. Overall great game design even though the writing is shit, skipped through 90% of dialogue so far.

jf8350143

Liturgist
I think this game's voice acting was pretty decent. The main problem comes from the game play, which is OK itself(hence pretty enjoyable in early game) but the god awful itemization and armor sytem and some major balance issue drags the whole thing into abyss in late game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom