Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divine Divinity on GoG

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The giant portable bed was pure fucking awesome <3

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Kinda wondering if all these fixes and improvements could have been made available as a patch for the old users, or that they are so consequents that they need a new version.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Nice! Also, by buying this game from GOG you get to support the orginal developers, not some french dickwad who fired the original deveopers of some other games GOG sells.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Gragt said:
Kinda wondering if all these fixes and improvements could have been made available as a patch for the old users, or that they are so consequents that they need a new version.

That would have been nice, and may yet happen, unless the purpose of the patch was to make the DD version more "exclusive" or something.

Oh, and it's also on Impulse now for a dollar less than GOG. No extras and client required though.

DaveO

Erudite
I found that the GoG version is a patch they're not planning to release to the original owners. Epic failure, and any possible desire to buy DD2 is offset by this behavior. I wonder how much time will transpire before The Witcher folks notice and start following the same practice? :x

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I think GOG funded this fix precisely to make their version better from the ones you could buy elsewhere. There's no reason we should expect they just give the fix to non-customers. If these are just "minor fixes", and so not worth $5, then get over it and play the original version. If they're things of bigger importance to your DivDIv experience, then pay the people who made them $5.

A user named cat

The English version of Divinity 2 has been leaked on torrents. I'm almost tempted to pirate it since they're screwing those of us who already own a boxed copy of Div out of an update patch. Fuck buying a game twice just to get proper widescreen and some bug fixes. Remastered edition - more like an update most devs would give out for free.

I still think I'll just buy D2 though since they're a smaller company who needs the financial support. The whores.

DaveO

Erudite
Why support Larian since they want to screw over old customers? Who can't see the same old crap coming light years away when the current one available commercially is put to pasture and then people who put in the money are treated the same?

What can change the nature of a greedy developer man?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
How the hell is Larian screwing over their old customers? Don't you think they're under an contract which prohibits them from releasing the patch to non-GOG public? (Which is, of course, entirely reasonable if it's GOG who paid for it?)

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
DaveO said:
I found that the GoG version is a patch they're not planning to release to the original owners. Epic failure, and any possible desire to buy DD2 is offset by this behavior. I wonder how much time will transpire before The Witcher folks notice and start following the same practice? :x

Good God, a question of $5 and everybody suddenly develops a case of stringent morals. That $40 game you were going for is out because $5 is just way too much to pay for a new copy of a game?

Elwro said:
How the hell is Larian screwing over their old customers? Don't you think they're under an contract which prohibits them from releasing the patch to non-GOG public? (Which is, of course, entirely reasonable if it's GOG who paid for it?)

The Impulse version is the same as the GOG version. I said that already. It's not a GOG-led conspiracy. It's Larian trying to make the DD version more salesworthy.

A user named cat

phanboy_iv said:
DaveO said:

Good God, a question of $5 and everybody suddenly develops a case of stringent morals. That $40 game you were going for is out because $5 is just way too much to pay for a new copy of a game?
$5 or $1, the price has nothing to do with it. Why should we have to buy the same exact game twice just for a new version? That's bullshit. If this remastered edition introduced say new texture work (though not needed) or new content, then I'd be all for investing more into it. But to spend money on something just to get widescreen support and some bug fixes is utter nonsense.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Phantasmal said:
phanboy_iv said:
DaveO said:

$5 or $1, the price has nothing to do with it. Why should we have to buy the same exact game twice just for a new version? That's bullshit. If this remastered edition introduced say new texture work (though not needed) or new content, then I'd be all for investing more into it. But to spend money on something just to get widescreen support and some bug fixes is utter nonsense.

I don't mind it. I like DivDiv a lot. I have a soft spot for Larian. It's $5. Widescreen and bugfixes are certainly worth $5 to me. There are more important things in life to have scruples about than this.

A user named cat

I too loved Divinity, have actually been playing through it again. But I simply refuse to buy a game twice when us old customers should be getting this as a free patch like most devs out there would provide. I also hate download services, they all suck. Give me the box and manual any day.

Murk

Arcane
there's really no 'should' about it. they're not required to release any patches or support, to be honest. shitty deal in technicality, but that's the situation.

basically alls i can say is "if you don't want it, don't get it" - at least it's the full game and not just a patch.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Phantasmal said:
The English version of Divinity 2 has been leaked on torrents. I'm almost tempted to pirate it since they're screwing those of us who already own a boxed copy of Div out of an update patch. Fuck buying a game twice just to get proper widescreen and some bug fixes. Remastered edition - more like an update most devs would give out for free.

I still think I'll just buy D2 though since they're a smaller company who needs the financial support. The whores.

That's not really true. If GoG didn't fund it, there would be no patch at all.

DD is an old game, they have nothing to gain from patching it now and releasing it for nothing. Spend the 5 bucks, it's worth it.

RuySan

Augur
The point is that us people who paid full price for it and helped Divinity become a success are feeling ripped off. Isn't there a torrent of this version anywhere?

1eyedking

Erudite
Heh. GOG doing its thing again. The same happened with Arx Fatalis.

Eventually their version got torrented and everyone lived happily ever after.

A user named cat

According to one of Larian's employees, they don't have the resources or time to make it into a patch. He said they'd have to make different language versions too and this remastered edition is English only. Oh well.

dragonfk

Erudite
Elwro said:
I think GOG funded this fix precisely to make their version better from the ones you could buy elsewhere. There's no reason we should expect they just give the fix to non-customers. If these are just "minor fixes", and so not worth $5, then get over it and play the original version. If they're things of bigger importance to your DivDIv experience, then pay the people who made them $5.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom