Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divine Divinity on GoG

Ebola1717

Novice
Pretty much speaks for itself. The extra's are nothing to brag about, but since Larian's still around, I feel better buying it than torrenting it. And it's somewhat approved by Codex, I hear? as far as ARPGs go.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
It's fairly well-liked around here, yep. Nothing revolutionary about the game, sometimes the writing's pretty camp, but all around solid fun and big explorable world insofar as ARPGs go.

getter77

Augur
RPGwatch had that story not so long ago about the devs looking to do some kinda patch overhaul for the game in the near future...so better times ahead?

/added to GoG backlog

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Turns to shit at the end.

(as do almost all rpg since planing went out of fashion).

denizsi

Arcane
Use the search, Luke. There was a pretty informative thread here on DoD just a few months ago.

Murk

Arcane
Has a lot of interactivity with the game world, plenty of exploring and actually decent dialog considering its a hack'n'slash.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it put the entire Diablo-clone genre (and diablo) to shame and back.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Yes, the last part is shitty, but most of it it's fun, unlike Lionheart. The combat is repetitive and boring, all you need is to find a weapon "of frost" or something like that, it will freeze your enemies no matter what level they are, so it will render the combat trivial in order to enjoy the other aspects of game: one huge continuous map like in Ultima VII, deep quests and some clever puzzles, and overall it succeeds in creating an atmosphere that was never achieved since Ultimas and Infinity engine games.

Murk

Arcane
gunman said:
Yes, the last part is shitty, but most of it it's fun, unlike Lionheart. The combat is repetitive and boring, all you need is to find a weapon "of frost" or something like that, it will freeze your enemies no matter what level they are, so it will render the combat trivial in order to enjoy the other aspects of game: one huge continuous map like in Ultima VII, deep quests and some clever puzzles, and overall it succeeds in creating an atmosphere that was never achieved since Ultimas and Infinity engine games.

second cheap trick- learn to poison weapons, grab any bow at all, poison it, shoot a tough enemy and watch it die in front of your eyes. you can do this to the entire orc army very early on. fight through the weaker ones - then when you reach the elites, run around blasting them with poison arrows and just make sure to run away from the horde. experience and loot galore.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Death Scorpions Motherfuckers.

BTW a mediocre game overall.

DaveO

Erudite
Must not be epic enough for the Let's Play to continue. You either make it past the starter dungeon or don't.

getter77

Augur
phanboy_iv said:
getter77 said:
RPGwatch had that story not so long ago about the devs looking to do some kinda patch overhaul for the game in the near future...so better times ahead?

/added to GoG backlog

The GOG version is the patched one. Changelog here: http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads ... Post390123

Cool! Somehow I'd thought that patch was something a ways down the road still. Maybe they'll decide to keep on patching and enhancing it afterall, one can hope.

/bumps higher on GoG backlog

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO ENJOY YOUR CLICKFEST TRASH MOVE THIS TO GENERAL GAMING PLEASE

A user named cat

gunman said:
The combat is repetitive and boring, all you need is to find a weapon "of frost" or something like that, it will freeze your enemies no matter what level they are, so it will render the combat trivial in order to enjoy the other aspects of game: one huge continuous map like in Ultima VII, deep quests and some clever puzzles, and overall it succeeds in creating an atmosphere that was never achieved since Ultimas and Infinity engine games.
I always avoided any weapons with freezing properties, it does make the combat way too easy and removes basically all challenge reducing enemies to nothing more than paper mache roadblocks to plow over.

Relayer71

Liturgist
Mikayel said:
Has a lot of interactivity with the game world, plenty of exploring and actually decent dialog considering its a hack'n'slash.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it put the entire Diablo-clone genre (and diablo) to shame and back.

Calling it "hacknslash", a "Diablo-clone" and even an action-rpg sell the game short.

Sure, there's a ton of combat in the game - clicky combat at that - but the game world is massive and very well developed, you can pretty much go anywhere and there's some interesting quests and characters. It's sort of Ultima meets Diablo I guess.

For some reason I always liked collecting chests, urns, and barrels in this game. Probably because stuff like that is static in most games. Here, you really can steal just about anything not nailed down.

Murk

Arcane
Relayer71 said:
Mikayel said:

Calling it "hacknslash", a "Diablo-clone" and even an action-rpg sell the game short.

Sure, there's a ton of combat in the game - clicky combat at that - but the game world is massive and very well developed, you can pretty much go anywhere and there's some interesting quests and characters. It's sort of Ultima meets Diablo I guess.

Yeah... hence the first part of my post where I praise its interactivity, exploration, and even decent dialog. I appreciate the defense of a game I love but, c'mon guy, seriously.

Genma:TheDestroyer said:
For some reason I always liked collecting chests, urns, and barrels in this game. Probably because stuff like that is static in most games. Here, you really can steal just about anything not nailed down.

There's a certain book used to hide a secret key in the game and I think at least 1 barrell that both way either very little or not at all - I remember carrying both around in my inventory and using them to organize things. There was also some exploit there you could use to steal crap by putting them straight into a container that's in your inventory if I'm not mistaken.

And the infamous portable bed. That was glorious.

Relayer71

Liturgist
Mikayel said:
Yeah... hence the first part of my post where I praise its interactivity, exploration, and even decent dialog. I appreciate the defense of a game I love but, c'mon guy, seriously.

Oops, I quoted you but was referring to other posters who tend to call the game a Diablo 2 clone and then leave it at that, probably having only played through the 1st dungeon - I should have made that a bit clearer, I meant to back up what you stated, apologies.

Murk

Arcane
Relayer71 said:
Mikayel said:

Oops, I quoted you but was referring to other posters who tend to call the game a Diablo 2 clone and then leave it at that, probably having only played through the 1st dungeon - I should have made that a bit clearer, I meant to back up what you stated, apologies.

Oh no worries then. I don't really get why people would criticize the game for the first dungeon - yeah its kinda long but not really that bad compared to games like Diablo that only feature one fucking dungeon (that just keeps changing). And I thought the ending to the dungeon was pretty friggin' awesome, as well as the existential-philosopher skeletons. Probably the best scenario of "necromancer trying to rule the world" i've ever seen -- very Terry Pratchetty too.

Hell I'd wonder what they'd say if they were forced to go through the sewers.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
This game is awesome.
Fuck haters.

A user named cat

Never kill a cat either, or their entire population will become your enemies. It's just unfortunate they don't attack you, at least I don't remember them doing so.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom