Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Divine Divinity is pretty darn good according to RPGWatch

BearBomber

Scholar
Nah. Everyone who disagrees with me is dumb. Not EVERYONE.

>>>Toddlercopter.

Letum Fol

Novice
On, come on. You've been reading me spam hjere for how long and you can't figure out what game I liked from 2002? Give me a fuckin' break, and you a brain transplant.

I know its NWN but I just wanted to hear you say it. Hey give me a break, I'm new. Anyway, has Volourn ever explained why he considers NWN to be so amazing. I actually want to know.

Also...

Mareus said:
All this talk has got me interested in DD, so I may give this hack/slash game another shot. It obviously can't be any worse than what games offer today and it will be good to change from 3D world to 2D world. But I seriously doubt DD was the best RPG game of 2002 which was a very strong year when it comes to RPGs. I don't know how the critics accepted it, but from what I can remember Arx Fatalis, Morrowind and Gothic 2 came out 2002 (although I don't like Gothic, I know a lot of people here love it). Don't forget Icewind Dale 2, NWN, for those who don't mind jRPG Kingdom Hearts, etc...

A damn good year for PC gaming and I really wonder where things went wrong?

That's part of the reason I love DD so much. I didn't expect it to compete with the all the big guns that had come out but while those were all dissapointing in some way or another DD was unexpectedly awesome.

Murk

Arcane
^ volourn explains nothing, as apparently he's explained it SOOOO many times, he will instead tell you to search for it and not give you any clue as to what you're searching for.

also, ignore volourn, he's too awesome for us cretins to understand

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Hey give me a break, I'm new."

Codex doesn't scale to your level.

Letum Fol

Novice
Volourn said:
"Hey give me a break, I'm new."

Codex doesn't scale to your level.

Then how the fuck are you still around? :D

And just answer the question, I really want to know. Think of it as a test of your love. If you can answer rationally, you might change people's minds.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Then how the fuck are you still around? "

Because. Ask the Codex bosses. I only make the decision to post here; but they could ban me anytime they want.

And just answer the question, I really want to know. Think of it as a test of your love. If you can answer rationally, you might change people's minds."

Actually, I tried that. Codex. Codex never changes.

Besdies, NWN is a 6 year old game - people aren't all of asudden going to change their opinions on it - nor would I want them to. People like or dislike like want they want. *shrug*

Them hating it doens't hurt my enjoyment of it or vice versa.

Letum Fol

Novice
Is it cos of mods? I played a couple of decent NWN mods but nothing great, nothing that approached the IE games.

Mareus

Magister
I guess people around here don't like NWN1 because it was hyped to be Baldur's Gate spiritual successor and it didn't live up to that hype. Besides ugly 3D graphics and stupid henchmen instead of the party, NWN1 didn't even offer nearly intriguing story as BG, and therefore people who expected a lot were disapointed. Add that to typical Bioware design formula of artificial choices and consequences that really don't exist and you have your answer why people around here hate NWN1. It's not going to change.

I liked it enough to say it is a good game, and wouldn't go so far to say it sucks. But it is far from greatness and splendour of Baldur's Gate.

Of course Volly has his own version.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"I guess people around here don't like NWN1 because it was hyped to be Baldur's Gate spiritual successor and it didn't live up to that hype"

Bullshit. It was hyped up for it's MP and toolset. BG fans are the one who mistook for BG3.

"Besides ugly 3D graphics and stupid henchmen instead of the party,"

Awesome 3D graphics, and solid hirings that ahd better AI than any IE games Henchmen were in BG series.

"NWN1 didn't even offer nearly intriguing story as BG,"

This is true. Still a decent story, however.

"and therefore people who expected a lot were disapointed. Add that to typical Bioware design formula of artificial choices and consequences that really don't exist"

Much closer to being a TRUE RPG than BG was though.

"and you have your answer why people around here hate NWN1. It's not going to chang
e."

People here hate NWN becuase they hate BIO, and NWN is a BIO game which many of their strengths and weaknesses.

"I liked it enough to say it is a good game, and wouldn't go so far to say it sucks. But it is far from greatness and splendour of Baldur's Gate."

NWN is better than BG.

"Of course Volly has his own version."

For starters, NWN wasn't intended to be the mythical 'spirtual successor' of BG. Nor wa sit BG3. When BIo first introduced it it was about MP and the toolset. Whiny BIO crybabies including me whined we found out that it wasn't going to be akin to BG. Hell, there eren't gonna be any joinables AT ALL at first. Yet, you dare to claim that NWN was suppsoed to be BG3? Get the fuck out. One of the main parts of BG were the joinables (even in BG1 where they weren't that fleshed out), and BIO had no intention of having them in NWN1 yet you try to bullshit people into thinking BIo's goal for NWN was BG3? That's fuckin' crackin' delusional. NPCs were only added to NWN1 because the Bg fanboys bugged them.

That's because dumbnutz including me had this retarded motion that BIO = BG therefore NWN = BG despite WHAT BIO TOLD US REPEATEDLY. It was only when the masses rose up that BIO did what they could to add BG elements to the game, and if NWN has any weaknesses its because of that. BIO made the cardinal mistake of listening to fans and changing their vision.

Thankfully, BIO has enough skill to make NWN OC a decent D&D adventure anyway, and ana wesome,a wesome game overall. It should also be noted that there was no real 'NWN OC' in its original deisgn. Most of the campaign were basiclaly short adventure mods that BIO later combined to make the OC and tie the story together.

The OC itself is okayish/good. I'd rate it about 75%. But, NWN: TP is fuckin';a wesome. Only games that come close to it in playability and long termness are MVP 2005, and NHL 08.

Aurora is awesome. It's combat is deeper, more complex, and hell of a lot more fun than IE. It's graphics, spell animations, and sound effects are virtually untouchable from that era and beyond.

LONG LIVE NWN!

DEATH TO BG!!!!

SpaceKungFuMan

Scholar
Volourn said:
"and you have your answer why people around here hate NWN1. It's not going to chang
e."

People here hate NWN becuase they hate BIO, and NWN is a BIO game which many of their strengths and weaknesses.

BG2 is a top 5 game for me. BG one was excellent too, and I liked KOTOR a lot, just not the gameplay. I went into NWN never having even completed BG2 (i had played act 2 many times, but never went past there without rerolling, because I'm an obsessive min/maxer which has led to me becoming a tax attny IRL). So I basically went into NWN without that much of an opinion on Bio's story telling capability, and was focused on the combat and character building of BG1/2 much more so than the story.

When NWN was announced, I was excited because I thought 3rd edition D&D might be fun to make chars with. I even bought the fucking Player's Guide in anticipation of the game to read up on the rules (again, rule obsessed personality that led me to be a tax lawyer). I probably played the stupid intro level 20 times trying different builds. But as I went on in the game, I just found a lot disappointing. This was one of the first games I was playing on my shiny new PC I'd built, and the graphics left ALOT to be desired. Low poly chars and environments, low res textures, and an awkward camera. But I wasn't going to let that stop me. I wanted combat damn it, and everything else be damned.

But then I quickly found the combat to be boring and easy. I had all kinds of neat feats, but in the end power attack mode was enough to beat almost everything. Not once did I have to stop and think about my strat for a fight like I did for the harder fights in BG1/2 (not to mention other rpgs). If I lost a fight, I reloaded, buffed up, and won that fight before moving on. Horribly boring. Then there was the story. . . I knew going in this was not going to be PST or Arcanum, but I was blown away by how bland the story was. Lots of fetch quests, a derivative story, and bland combat eventually led me to abandon the game (I would later beat it with an even more over powered character build just to finish it).

Then I sat down and replayed BG1 before segueing into BG2 to finally beat it, and it was a GREAT experience. Combat was more fun and challenging, the NPC banter was enjoyable, there was quest variety, and the story was passable. When I played KOTOR, I was not expecting much, after NWN, but I was pleasantly surprised by the story and characters, even though the combat sucked as much as NWN.

So no, volly, not all NWN haters are Bio haters. I liked what they made before and to a certain extent after NWN. NWN was just a bad game. Bio seems to be able to pull of good stories and good combat when they put their mind to it. Unfortunately, NWN lacked either. JE falls into the same boat imo (story is better than NWN at least).

Letum Fol

Novice
First of all, hats off to Volourn for actually replying. It means you aren't just a flaming troll and actually better than a lot of the other posters around.

But I still feel that NWN was a disappointment. Even if no OC was planned, single player is BIO's strength and they should have used their experience. BG2 is a top 5 game for me too, and it just surprised me coming from that and going to NWN.

Oh and what's NWN: TP. Sorry if that's a stupid question.

Zakhal

Liturgist
DD is the only diablo-clone I liked. Mostly because it had way more dialog, npc and story than rest of them. There is a lot of hacking though and you really have to put your back into it to. At the first try I was halted at the lizard dungeon, because I got tired after killing only hundred or so of them.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Oh and what's NWN: TP. Sorry if that's a stupid question."

The whole package. It includes the OC, MP, toolset, PWs, everything.

A lot of people try to pretdn when I say NWN is the best that i'm somehow referring to the OC when I actuall am refering to the entire apckage.

Like I said above, I enjoyed the OC for what it was; but I found it 'merely' average/good. I only defend the OC because people try to claim it's 'the worst RPG ever' when is just plain silly consideirng some of the actual trash that has come out over the decades.

Mareus

Magister
Volly I may be mistaken when I say that NWN1 was hyped by BIO as spiritual successor to BG, because back then I knew about those sort of things only through magazines I bought and as I found out later it wouldn't be the first time they gave wrong information. They said something about being able to import your character from BG, while the game was still in development. Also on several trailers it had music from BG and IWD. But even if they didn't hype it as BG successor it sure let a lot of people down and if you really believe NWN1 is superiour to BG or that Aurora is superiour to IE, your are just clueless.

How can anyone say that very unimaginative tiles and square look of NWN is awesome next to hand drawn graphic of BG , is beyond me. Add that to 3D clunky camera, story which is nowhere near good as BG story, less characters, less quests, less items, less strategy, less magic, henchemn who run to death and draw hordes on themselves, worse music,... and you still say that NWN1 is better than BG? You are a funny guy Volly, I have to grant you that.

And I don't care about the editor you got with the game, because I am talking about the game. Screw the editor. I never used it and probably never will.

callehe

Liturgist
Ok, so if I liked diablo 1 and diablo 2, will I like Divine divinity? How does the combat shape up compared to diablo 2?

Mareus

Magister
callehe said:
Ok, so if I liked diablo 1 and diablo 2, will I like Divine divinity? How does the combat shape up compared to diablo 2?

It's the same, as far as I remember.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Mareus said:
callehe said:

It's the same, as far as I remember.

With a few improvements like the ctrl key to select the enemy nearest to the cursor, very nice feature.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"They said something about being able to import your character from BG"

yeah, they did say that, and it was foolish too. However, they retracted that well before release so only ignorant tools still believed it when the game came out.

"And I don't care about the editor you got with the game, because I am talking about the game."

It's all a part of the game. Deal with it.

"your are just clueless"

And, this folks, is why it's a waste of time talking with morons like Mareus., He doens't wanta disucssion. He wants an excuse to flame, and feel sueprior.

That's cool, though. I know once and for all how to deal with his retardedness in the future.

R00fles!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Volourn said:
"And I don't care about the editor you got with the game, because I am talking about the game."

It's all apart of the game. Deal with it.

This time you're right for once. The editor is something apart from the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom