Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Divine Divinity is pretty darn good according to RPGWatch

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
If it's in the box, it's part of the packaage. I judge everything.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Okeeeeeey, back to the topic then. I decided to give it a go. Any suggestions on spells? I dont wanna invest 100 hours to find out my character sucks. Time is..well, money?
I started a female Sorcerer. (Btw 2D Art is beautiful).

Murk

Arcane
meteor strike, low level super effective spell

lock-picking for any and all characters

I like to do scouting so... elven sight, I think? there's two skills that are similar, one is elven sight and the other is ranger sight... i think, look around - one is better than the other though, so just pick one and put a few points in it to give you a better field of view.

Mareus

Magister
Volourn said:
"They said something about being able to import your character from BG"

yeah, they did say that, and it was foolish too. However, they retracted that well before release so only ignorant tools still believed it when the game came out.

"And I don't care about the editor you got with the game, because I am talking about the game."

It's all a part of the game. Deal with it.

"your are just clueless"

And, this folks, is why it's a waste of time talking with morons like Mareus., He doens't wanta disucssion. He wants an excuse to flame, and feel sueprior.

That's cool, though. I know once and for all how to deal with his retardedness in the future.

R00fles!

Volly, I didn't say it is bad that NWN1 had the editor in the package. I just said I don't find it important because I never used it. My argument that NWN1 cannot possibly be as good as BG was based on other things which you as usually just didn't read. Editor is a nice touch, yes, but does it make the original campaign any better? Does it make NWN1 better than BG, what you have been saying? NO!

PS. You are clueless and it doesn't have to do with me feeling superiour or anything, but with you saying NWN1 is better than BG when there is apsolutely nothing in NWN1 that could compare with BG, except the editor. Now go play with that editor if it is more fun than playing BG.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Does it make NWN1 better than BG, what you have been saying? NO!"

Yes, it does.

Mareus

Magister
Volourn said:
"Does it make NWN1 better than BG, what you have been saying? NO!"

Yes, it does.

Your astonishing display of didactic skills leaves me completely without arguments. As usual, Volly wins.

Jabbapop

Scholar
the dungeons in this game are overlong, and the combat becomes ridiculously simple once you find the frost weapons and dragon armor. the dungeons aren't even that interesting or hard. also, the last portion of the game is just one long dungeon, and at this point your character is so ubered up that there's really no reason to fight it. about halfway through i realized that i in fact only had to fight the bosses, so i just ran through it. i wish i could say that made the trial quicker, but the map was so huge that i still spent like 2 hours running between each of the six bosses. i certainly liked the sense of discovery within the towns, though.

Murk

Arcane
The mid portion of the game is solid gold, and luckily, it makes up about 90% of the game.

the first dungeon and the end are ass, and if you avoid the sewers you'll have only one mandatory "long dungeon" to go through.

Mareus

Magister
I tried playing Divine Divinity yesterday, and I just couldn't. The boring hack and slash Diablo system was too much for me to bear. 30 minutes and I was bored to death.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"The boring hack and slash Diablo system was too much for me to bear. 30 minutes and I was bored to death."

L0L So, you admit I'm not as dumb as you thought? Right? Nah, that be smart for you to admit; but you ain't that smart.

Murk

Arcane
so does volourn have the highest post count on the 'dex?

Murk

Arcane
shit dog, i'm trying to soak in your awesomeness

how can you help me be more like you?

EDIT: I take it back volourn, you're second to KC.

Jabbapop

Scholar
Annonchinil said:
So where can I get this game?

i got it for 10 dollars as one of those jewel case only budget titles. shouldnt be hard to find in target or wal mart

Relayer71

Liturgist
NWN: TP as good I can buy. I definitely enjoyed the expansions and the few PWs I tried out. But I still think the OC was terrible.

A 75%? That's too generous. I would put it more at 60% which is failing.
SoU was a 70%.
HoTu was 80%.

Div Div I'm putting at about 85% right now (not finished yet). Would have been at least 90% if not for the ridiculous amount of combat and that first dungeon. But still have a way to go (and I hear the final areas suck).

Mareus

Magister
Relayer71 said:
NWN: TP as good I can buy. I definitely enjoyed the expansions and the few PWs I tried out. But I still think the OC was terrible.

SoU was a 70%.
HoTu was 80%.

Div Div I'm putting at about 85% right now (not finished yet). Would have been at least 90% if not for the ridiculous amount of combat and that first dungeon. But still have a way to go (and I hear the final areas suck).

Please help me try to understand how is NWN OC 75% and Div Div 85%? From what I have seen, it is just a Diablo clone with a good story. What am I missing in this game that I can't even manage to put more than 30 minutes into it, before becoming sick with boredom of hack and slash.

Murk

Arcane
^ well if you get past the starting area you'd be able to see the actual game.

"i can't play more than 30 minutes, what's so good about it" - how about the possibly 100+ hours of content you're not seeing?

The first dungeon isn't even that bad really, i dread the orc caves in nwn2 insanely more than that.

Relayer71

Liturgist
Mareus said:
Relayer71 said:

SoU was a 70%.
HoTu was 80%.

Please help me try to understand how is NWN OC 75% and Div Div 85%? From what I have seen, it is just a Diablo clone with a good story. What am I missing in this game that I can't even manage to put more than 30 minutes into it, before becoming sick with boredom of hack and slash.

First, I gave NWN OC 60% - NOT a 75%.
With that out of the way, it is way more than a Diablo clone if you give it a chance.

It's more than just clear out the next wave of baddies and get more L33t gear. For one thing it doesn't feel linear - you can basically go anywhere and stumble across quests related to the main story or side quests (I've come across a few scripted events so far, a few of them quite humorous).

The world map is HUGE and laid out well so it makes the world feel more cohesive. Of course you don't get that feeling until you put about an hour into the game. I only did about half of that dreaded first dungeon and then left to the next town. That's where the fun began.

There is also the feeling that there really is a conflict in the world - I could not believe the number of orcs I came across. While this has its bad side (way too much combat?) it makes the world more believable. The Orcs are also where they make sense - a few scattered in camps around the world while you can find a whole lot of them in a town that was seiged. And if you stick to the main roads you really don't come across TOO many enemies.

The quests also seem well varied.

There are some interesting NPCs and conversations - the developers definitely have a sense of humor - and the writing is decent.

I can see how you'd give up though, I was about to dismiss the game until I made it to the next town. Even so, I agree there's way too much combat. I did start boosting the stealth ability at some point and found that you CAN walk around without having to do too much combat (one quest requires you to go to an occupied town I believe and plant some explosives - I was able to avoid a lot of combat that way). But I also found that gaining levels and boosting abilities was fun so I started not to mind the combat so much - at least it doesn't feel too easy (so far) as to be boring (NWN). You can go down pretty easily if you charge into an area.

Oh, I also like that you're not the ONLY one taking on the enemy - there are plenty of soldiers around that will lend a hand - I've pulled quite a few Orcs into some of the bases/forts to let the soldiers handle them. Again, the amount of soldiers stationed at any one spot also lends to the credibility of a military conflict.

And the fact that you can trade with ANYONE and kill the wildlife for food to restore HP(and domestics too - I accidentally killed a cat in a town and all the nearby cats became agressive towards me) also add to the immersion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom