Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Dishonored 2 - Emily and Corvo's Serkonan Vacation

Siel

Arcane
Patron
4aa46596-5f11-479f-85ae-fe16087063f2.jpg

:desu:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
AI is also sharper (at least on hard)

Can the AI spot you when you are leaning?

Yes. Also when you stand up and make a single step, they're immediately alerted. Also hiding in a dumpster doesn't help, they'll spot you if they get too near. Guards also take flight if they're hurt badly, but can be catched up and stabbed dead if they run out of breath. Overall, messing with them is more "messy" than in D1. Clean stealth gameplay is now more challenging (at least on hard and up).

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
You shouldn't be blaming engine for dev shortcomings. UE3 games from the previous gen weight a lot more than other games (Dishonored GOTY - 15 Gb, New Vegas GOTY - less than 10). It's just that the console games are currently distributed via blu-ray discs, and devs feel like they should take as much free space as they can. That's why this gen games weight so much.
In other words, I have doubts about UE4 performing better in this case, but Zenithesda is too busy pushing id Tech for all projects made in their internal studios anyway, so it won't happen.

Ok, I don't know exactly how this works but I disagree with you in one point. Definetely, previous gen had smaller sized textures but not Idtech. There is something in a way how Id bakes light into textures but I don't know how does this works. Compared to Unreal and Cryengine which render light dynamically. So, even this gen console to PC port could have smaller size in Unreal and Cryengine.
But, don't quote me on this 'cause I don't understand how Idtech is rendering.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Unreal engine worked just fine and it has lower system requirements. Changing to an ID engine was a stupid decision.

As Bethesda owns ID, it was probably cheaper to have engine which they already own. So the only reason was money.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Unreal engine worked just fine and it has lower system requirements. Changing to an ID engine was a stupid decision.

As Bethesda owns ID, it was probably cheaper to have engine which they already own. So the only reason was money.

Or the fact that UE4 wasn't available yet when they started developing D2.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
D2 looks a hell lot better ingame than what the screenshots suggest. Also the level design is complexer, areas vaster, more characters, better AI, Physics and sound. Overall a better experience than D1, wasn't it for the wonky performance.

Latelistener

Arcane
Ok but then what about the more detailed object modelisation, more detailed vegetation, lightning, shadow quality, texture quality?
On this I will tell you that it still looks subpar compared to some other modern titles that even run better.

Btw:

Last edited:

Heretic

Cipher
- Technical issues
- Sound bugs (direction and volume are often off)

+ Great level design
+ OK AI with limited senses
+ Very good story

Divinity: Original Sin
I played a little with corvo, its going ok. The only irritating thing is when framerate drops, the mouse speed changes, but it doesn't happen too often, fortunatelly. Gameplay is identical to dishonored 1, and visually it looks like the same game - asset-wise and the layout of a map with a main street and various routes between right and left buildings.

The graphics improvements are only texture-wise on characters, because enviroment texture reminds me of rage/wofenstein TNO engine, which had blurry textures up close - but of course here it's not THAT blurry. And it has better lighting. But in the end it even looks like it's running in the same engine as the previous one, except for the fact it's badly optimized.

I am having fun with it and only stoped playing because after 3 hours playing it crashed.

Siel

Arcane
Patron
I played a little with corvo, its going ok. The only irritating thing is when framerate drops, the mouse speed changes, but it doesn't happen too often, fortunatelly. Gameplay is identical to dishonored 1, and visually it looks like the same game - asset-wise and the layout of a map with a main street and various routes between right and left buildings.

The graphics improvements are only texture-wise on characters, because enviroment texture reminds me of rage/wofenstein TNO engine, which had blurry textures up close - but of course here it's not THAT blurry. And it has better lighting. But in the end it even looks like it's running in the same engine as the previous one, except for the fact it's badly optimized.

I am having fun with it and only stoped playing because after 3 hours playing it crashed.

Have you reached Karnaka yet?

Divinity: Original Sin

Nope. I'm looking to every nook and cranny...

Siel

Arcane
Patron

Nope. I'm looking to every nook and cranny...

I think level design gets really more interesting after that.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I seen Z fighting, and shadow flickering over texture. Basically, GFX problems.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom