Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
So I have played the first day twice now, one with an INT/MOT build, another with PSY/PHY.

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed at the latter, despite going with high Inland Empire/Shivers there's not that much craziness going on. You talk a bit with the tie at the start and then it's silent. I don't know, maybe those kick in more heavily further down the line.

I do like how differently they play out though.

In any case, regardless of your build you need to put points into Perception, that shit is absolutely essential.

You talk to dead people, a lot. Not crazy for you?

Inland Empire has a lot checks.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hey, ppl, don't get butthurt over one way of playin' bein' clearly superior to any other while at the same votin' Planescape to high heavens and top spots in polls.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yes, the vast majority of passive skill checks seem designed to succeed more often than not if you have anything above the absolute minimum in the combined stat/skill score. I was annoyed by it at first, but it creates some funny situations for minmaxers, like my 1 Intellect cop hearing hearing someone introducing himself as Martin Martinaise and Rhetoric going "yeah, that checks out".

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Well, I will no longer read this thread since I don't want to spoil myself, but before I get this there's something I need to know.

Is there a single right-wing and/or fascist guy endorsing this game? Preferably JarlFrank, since he's a monocled gentleman. This is important. Not that I'm scared of a commie game, and in a perfect world I wouldn't care about it, but lefties are know for praising shit propaganda pieces as masterpieces, so i want to know if I'm supporting a genuine good game or not. Besides, I can't trust Prime Junta, he liked Pillars of Eternity.

Not a right-winger, but I'd just point out that all of the political ideologies aren't taken very seriously and get trolled in various ways in the game. Communism is lambasted for its body count, failure to ever be realised, etc. And if you choose to become the "communism builder" things will happen like losing morale because of feeling like it's a quest of sheer hopelessness, or getting treated like an annoying idiot by NPCs. It's more ironic and distanced from political belief as such than some kind of Marxist tract.
The same shit is with the nationalistic trait. It gives you nothing in return but you get fucked with -1 morale dialogues. It is really retarded trait. It would have been fine if at least gave me some actual benefits in skills.

Prime Junta

I developed my critical theory a bit further and got a nice little benefit. Every time I fail I completely heal my Morale. Communism positively thrives on failure!

(It's totally pointless though because I'm swimming in Magnesolam by now.)

Terenty

Liturgist
Isn't that
I've seen more successful passive checks than I expected. There might be a die roll happening behind the scenes.

As far as i know passive check are not rolls, you either have enough or you dont. But for some reason even if you dont have enough you still pass the check.

Could someone more knowledgable explain it please

Prime Junta

I'm fairly certain passive checks are also rolls. It's just the DM rollimg them hidden.

Gruncheon

Augur
I like how the only option to express disdain for Communism is by blurting out "Commies just don't understand how money works" like a retard.

Hopefully my next dialogue option to knock Communism will be along the lines of: "Communism is bad because I don't want to share my monies...*slowly pisses pants and farts*...I just don't like to share!"

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Feels like it has been very long since a game tried something really different and really succeeded at it (and I hope it inspires lots of others to take ideas from it)

I don't even miss combat

Egosphere

Arcane
fellas, just wondering, is my misplaced badge in the starting area or thereabouts? It's about 3pm on day 1 and I'm still none the wiser regarding its location, even though I have a high perception

Parabalus

Arcane
The game seems very AoDey in the replayability department, with quests being gated behind high skill checks. Hope it's not all fake.

The Real Fanboy
Don't get out over your skis, the game had a 2377 player peak last night: https://steamdb.info/app/632470/graphs/ These are indie game numbers.

They had virtually zero marketing.

My best and only hope for DE's commercial success is that it's a critical hit, then goes viral, then people start picking it up. I'm really hoping the numbers will go up in the coming days.

I believe in you Sailor Elysium!

tumblr_o21un3FjqH1rdfsmyo1_500.gif

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I was wrong: Volition also helps! When its needed.

I play full Psy (6) and all skills help. Esprit de corps less, other are Ok.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
We're close to beating the player count of last night. Sadly, still not over 20'000 copies sold though.

And threrein lies the Codex's dirty little secret: while herds of Bethesdians and Biowarites gallop after Todd Howard or the Doctors, mooing "take my money!", the average monocled autist here sails the high seas of piracy or adopts the "oh, I will buy it when it's more reasonably priced on the discount bin..." attitude. And then they dare to act shocked when the next Torment is a co-op shooter with micro-transaction romances.
Hey, I was informed that the game was made by gommies. I'm sure as hell not going to take any chances based on journo say-so.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Went 6-3-2-1. Nearly died from sitting in an uncomfortable chair.

Everyone is full of :love:for this game and deservedly so, but oh boy, the loading screens. Even with a ssd. Really makes certain sections a grind, on day 3 I go from talking to <spoiler> to <spoiler> ostensibly in the same building, but three loading screens away. And you go back and fourth like that three or four times.

fellas, just wondering, is my misplaced badge in the starting area or thereabouts? It's about 3pm on day 1 and I'm still none the wiser regarding its location, even though I have a high perception
It's time locked till Wednesday.
No it's not.

Prime Junta

Yeah the loading screens are no fun, even with the hints they put there. It really is annoying that we still need to deal with them in this day and age. You'd think that kind of thing could be solved in the engine.

Rieser

Scholar
I've seen more successful passive checks than I expected. There might be a die roll happening behind the scenes.

There definitely is. Passive checks only show up in the dialogue tree if they have a consequence on the dialogue (like "hearing" a skill sharing an opinion or reacting), so you know what happened was the result of your skills passing the check. If the roll is failed, the dialogue just pass normally without any indication of a roll.

Thus if you, like me, play a character heavily into psyche and intelligence, you'll see according skill checks a lot more than others. The only physical trait I see pop up fairly often is electrochemistry - which coincidentally is the only physical trait I've invested in.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom