Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Diablo III Muslim Controversy

muslimgamer

Novice
Tycn said:
Norfleet said:
This is absurd. The Koran is a BOOK. There is no prescribed appearance for how a book should appear. That book looks like, well, every other vaguely high-production-value hardcover book out there.
I am interested in your response to this, muslimgamer.

Ok ill split that up into 2 parts, firstly regarding the comment that it is just a book. I guess the reason why i requested people read the article first is so I dont have to repeat a lot of stuff in the original article, so ill do a copy\paste for that part,

Islam places a very high importance on respect. Respect to your elders, respect to your teachers, respect to your parents, respect to those more knowledgeable than you, respect to your neighbors and so on and so forth. Now whether the Muslims you have personally met put these practices into place or not is a different story, but the religion places these requirements on each and every Muslim, so if you don’t see it being practiced by a Muslim, blame the person, not the religion.

At the very top of the respect list comes religious people, objects and of course, Allah (SWT). For example, without Wudu (a cleansing act you perform) you cant touch the Quran or do your daily prayers. To point your feet at Kaba or the Quran is seen as rude and disrespectful, to have the Quran close to the ground or on the ground is also seen as disrespectful, to walk in front of someone praying, to talk out loud while someone is reading the Quran are all seen as things which should not be done. To Muslims its not just a book, to Muslims it is THE book, it is the book sent by Allah through the prophet Muhammed (PBUH) for all. The importance of respecting the Quran, and the above that I have mentioned, plays a large part in our daily actions and life.

To try and make this understandable to someone that is a non Muslim, Ill TRY and give a few examples. Lets say you were going to meet the President or the Queen for a formal occasion or to receive an award. Would you go in old clothes and put your arm around the Queen when you met her? Around certain people such as the Queen, there is a certain protocol and respect that is expected, and they aren’t even religious figures. Lets say the Bill of Rights or the Constitution of the United States. Would you expect that to be kept on the floor or used in some degrading fashion? I have a feeling there would be large and numerous groups of people up in arms about the lack of respect shown towards it if it was treated as such.

So to 1.5 billion people out there, its more than a book. I completely understand that to everyone else its as good as the Sunday newspaper, and to many on the forums, probably worth less, but for many others its so much more.

By no means have Blizzard said that the book is the Quran, so it very well could be anything. I guess what makes this book so different is the resemblance, as shown in the photo, to the Quran. So what I was trying to say in the article is that it would be great if that resemblance of the graphic could be changed. The change would have no effect on the game we get to play when its released while also reducing any kind of confusion. If the change wasn't implemented, well there's nothing I can do about it. This isn't about demanding anything, its about requesting. Everyday a tonne of requests are made about changes to the game from Beta, think of this as just another one.

Black

Arcane
muslimgamer said:
So to 1.5 billion people out there, its more than a book.
So how many people does it take to turn a stone into a holy object?
Actually, I believe Black & White answered that question.

muslimgamer

Novice
Regdar said:
muslimgamer said:
There are differing opinions in regards to games as there are to many other subjects in Islam. Some scholars say it is ok on the condition that it does not take up all your time and take you away from your obligations, others such as that Muslim follow the differing opinion that they should not be played at all.

So you can play video games, but playing chess is still a sin?

idontunderstand.jpg

Hi Regdar,
I am not a scholar by any means, so ill try and answer to the best of my ability. Chess would fall into a similar category as video games. Where I believe confusion around the subject comes from is when Chess and Gambling are mixed in together. As gambling is forbidden, as soon as you add it to Chess it becomes something that is definitely not allowed.

Chess on its own however, will fall into the category where as long as it doesn't take obsession status and does not stop you from fulfilling your obligations, then there are schools of thought that see it as permissible, others still see it as not allowed. Just depends what school of thought you follow :)

Achilles

Arcane
I love the irony when people who are ready to shout "betrayaaaal!" about a game then berate muslims for being easily offended :D Guys, you do understand that we (codexers) are the muslims of the gaming world, right?

Oh and before anyone accuses me of Blobertism, I fully admit to being a member of the aforementioned people.

muslimgamer

Novice
Ed123 said:
muslimgamer I believe you could make a valuable contribution to the Codex. We recently had a vacancy open up in General Discussion, and we often discuss matters of religion and the direction of modern society there.

Forgive me for my ignorance as I haven't visited this site before so I am not sure if you are being serious or not :(

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Is there a texture example that you could provide, that would be acceptable to the Muslim community for books in Diablo III?

Regdar

Arcane
http://www.faithfreedom.org/features/ve ... -in-islam/

Buraida reported on the authority of his father that Allah’s Apostle (may peace be upon him) said: He who played chess is like one who dyed his hand with the flesh and blood of swine.

Yahya related to me from Malik from Musa ibn Maysara from Said ibn Abi Hind from Abu Musa al-Ashari that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, “Whoever plays games of dice has disobeyed Allah and His Messenger. ”

I will send you money if you convince me there is any room for interpreting these passages.

J_J_M

Educated
I would pay a double price for Diablo 3 if the secret pony level was replaced with a "kill Mohammed" level. Not because I hate Muslims, but because I'm sick and tired of them getting offended by anyone insulting a work of pure fiction.

muslimgamer

Novice
Jaesun said:
Is there a texture example that you could provide, that would be acceptable to the Muslim community for books in Diablo III?

I think it could be any texture that doesn't have a similarity to a religious icon. Removing that graphic and replacing it with the crescent and moon doesn't really achieve anything :) What I tried to suggest in the article was that maybe devs should just avoid religious icons in general, be that Jewish, Christian, Muslim or Spaghetti Monster. If the game isn't a religious game, then is it really necessary to mix the two?

We play games to relax and get away from RL, would the gameplay really be degraded if there was a separation between the two? If Devs only used mythical religions in a mythical game, is our gaming experience really going to be that much worse off is the question I was trying to pose?

In this case they haven't directly represented any religion, there is a very close similarity as shown in the picture, but i cant say that it is most definitely a Quran. I guess I am just saying, why not avoid it all together?

muslimgamer

Novice
J_J_M said:
I would pay a double price for Diablo 3 if the secret pony level was replaced with a "kill Mohammed" level. Not because I hate Muslims, but because I'm sick and tired of them getting offended by anyone insulting a work of pure fiction.

You only need to send an email to Blizzard, you never know they might include it, its still in beta stage.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Just replace anything in games that can be misunderstood for a religious symbol with hail Satan, problem solved.
:troll:

muslimgamer

Novice
Regdar said:
http://www.faithfreedom.org/features/verbatim/playing-chess-and-dice-games-is-prohibited-in-islam/

Buraida reported on the authority of his father that Allah’s Apostle (may peace be upon him) said: He who played chess is like one who dyed his hand with the flesh and blood of swine.

Yahya related to me from Malik from Musa ibn Maysara from Said ibn Abi Hind from Abu Musa al-Ashari that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, “Whoever plays games of dice has disobeyed Allah and His Messenger. ”

I will send you money if you convince me there is any room for interpreting these passages.

Im not a scholar, i can only go off what I know and what trusted Muslim scholars say is right...thats kind of why they are calle scholars. In regards to the internet, its not a place to learn religion or to prove facts, I could make a site tomorrow that says the opposite to youre quote, does it mean i get the money?

But to show you what I mean , here is another in which it is said that it is makruh, a lower level than haram,
al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about playing chess, is it forbidden or permissible? He (may Allaah have mercy on him) replied that if it makes a person miss praying on time or he plays for money, then it is haraam, otherwise it is makrooh according to al-Shaafa’i and haraam according to others…” (al-Kabaa’ir, 89-90).

As I mentioned Im not in a position to make rulings, so i have a feeling you pulling a quote from the interwebs most certainly doesn't make you a scholar either, all i can tell you is that there are differing views on the status. Its up to each individual Muslim to pick their teacher and follow their advice.

muslimgamer

Novice
Kz3r0 said:
Just replace anything in games that can be misunderstood for a religious symbol with hail Satan, problem solved.
:troll:

great now I can see the satanists coming in this thread saying they are offended and taking my limelight!

muslimgamer

Novice
Morgoth said:
Muslimgamer = Andhaira

Ban it before it spreads.

I am really curious as to who this person is? But feel free to ban me, i just thought you might want to ask me directly and get a bite on any trolling.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
What's the big deal? I would understand if this was lulz-worthy if the article was 'BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT ISLAM', but seriously?

Although I suspect this is p. much a great deal of nitpicking not comparable with the shitstorm Diablo 1 caused with its occult symbols placed on top of crosses and stuff :M

I am really curious as to who this person is?

Andhaira was our friendly neighbourhood Paki before the infidel admin DarkUnderlord decided to dispose of him for reasons quite obscure :M

muslimgamer

Novice
DwarvenFood said:
How ironic, Andhaira's comrade arrived but only after the banning of the former.

How Ironic you posted "my" article on your site and then I show up so you can troll me directly...ahh the irony of the irony...

Happy to leave so you guys can just troll yourselves if you prefer that. I just thought it might be interesting if you had a live target to shoot at.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Muslims are fucking pussies. Way overly sensitive. Crazy. "I suggest you take it down..." or there will be jihad right? Fuck you.

No one gives a shit if someone degrades Christianity, but as soon as it's even remotely offensive to Islam their assholes pucker and they cower. "Oh snaps I better do as they ask! I don't want to be brutally murdered!"

Shut these faggots up. :x

muslimgamer

Novice
jiujitsu said:
Muslims are fucking pussies. Way overly sensitive. Crazy. "I suggest you take it down..." or there will be jihad right? Fuck you.

No one gives a shit if someone degrades Christianity, but as soon as it's even remotely offensive to Islam their assholes pucker and they cower. "Oh snaps I better do as they ask! I don't want to be brutally murdered!"

Shut these faggots up. :x
Hi jiujitsu!
wow you are an angry person arent you? go play some games and lighten up buddy, it will do you some good.

i missed that jihad part, could you link that for me?

I cant speak for the satanists or the christians, if they get offended and want the bible not to be degraded, thats their choice, I am merely putting the suggestion out there that game and religion be separated.

I ask the question again to you. If religious items were removed from games, how would that degrade your gaming experience?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Why don't you just pretend that the developers were paying their due respect to all muslims by including muslim symbols in their game. A gesture of respect and admiration for the religion of peace. Would that degrade your gaming experience?

Ermm

Erudite
I hope Blizzard will texture a steaming pile of shit on your precious Quran comic book.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom