Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Diablo III Muslim Controversy

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Well religions are by their nature stupid...

tindrli

Arcane
Keeper Deven said:
tindrli said:
just to mention that there are true muslims as well.. and we are not all retarded..
Please. Not the One True Scotsman argument. We already know that all Muslims can't be as thick as muslimgamer. But don't say that s/he isn't a 'true' Muslim. Stupidity bears no particular allegience to any one sex, nationality, religion, caste or creed--just look at General Discussion for proof of this. If every act of stupidity merited instant excommunication, I suspect that all religions would be severely diminished in the number of their adherents.

sorry i think i misspelled that.. i was too drunk, and now the only thing that occurs to me is that maybe i wanted to say that there are still normal muslims who just keep their religion to their self's as it should be or something like that. anyway i think that this thread sucks and i dont want to give it more time.
what this looks to me is a this thread is typical propaganda lession. I know it from the fact coz i live with muslims and one of interesting things is that muslim people still have a great NEED if i may say so to propagate islam. and they do it in all imaginable ways . like this one .. simply starting this shity story made it most popular theme in codex for two fucking day at least. very simple indeed by making people discuss it supporting or opposing it the point is that you think about it, and there you go.. same shit occures in tv every damn day. they talk so much about someone or something that atuomaticly make the subject more popular in a good or bad way doesnt matter ......for fuck sake promoting religion in 2011 ....shit

:decline:

Interesting

Educated
The cultural war is ever present. It exists for many years, long before we were born.

With the advent of the internet and the "democratization of the access" to it. Ever more popular the internet, the more frequent the cultural border crossings and interrelations and influences.

On the topic. Sea post was right. Another guy on page 4 also was the voice of reason: Blizzard doesnt have a choice anymore, because its on its best interest to remove that texture if they want to sell. If Bob Kottick is part of some powerfull secret society whose one of the agendas is to push west cultural beliefs or destroying/weakening muslim religion, then it will remain (even though some PR will be there to downplay and damage control).

Another thing: the proportion/scale of the debate ended up being more important than the actual subject of the debate. Its also evidenced by the popularity of this subject on this community.

My insight on the subject:
The cultural war that I mentioned above, silent, almost invisible, yet latent. Its by simple things like putting the muslim sacred book on the floor, being ripped, destroyed, flying around by character skills when destroying the scenary... The sacred book, on the ground, as a reflection of the characters power, at their feet. A subliminal message, another one of thousands that are being thrown in this cultural war. The world is divided into few groups, big power houses representing each culture/religion. most of the heritage, the education, the wisdom, besides political power, money and influence, is geared towards this cultural war. Who will end up dominating? What culture? What religion? What set of beliefs, behaviors, laws, costumes?

If you guys studied a little bit of history, you know how influencing and changing other cultures/religions, how its seen, what is removed, forbidden, incorporated affects a particular civilization. Now that we have internet, It wages daily, you can see how its even more proeminent. It doesnt happen only when a civilization wages war, occupies territory and slaves the losers. Internet broke lots of barriers, its a cultural/religious FREE FOR ALL, influence who you can with the resources you have.

The specific target media of a video game is just a single tool, like movies or songs. Like the ever present USA flag on a movie, if it gets shown a lot to the enemy, its like a pacific conquest like in some new strategy games where they aknowledge "cultural victory conditions".
Having a looklike Quran book in a position where its seen as insignificant, is like having a symbol being destroyed, like a flag being burned. In Diablo 3 you destroy the environment, a bookshelf and there goes flying the Quran, over and over while my barbarian Minsk screams, raging destruction everywhere. A subliminal message for the new generations, the inferiority of that religion/culture substantiated in the disrespect of that symbol.

Who knows if this "muslim gamer" is not just a front used to increase awareness for the many abuses being committed against muslims? Just a small tentacle of the PR' cultural war that you dont see. Just how homosexualism gets being portraied more and more often on the medias. Agendas being pushed. Whether its intentional or not, now that the awareness towards it was raised, it causes effect. Like having detailed female nude character models or hot coffe mods that slip through.

If that texture were to remain, the awareness that the "mid eastern" act 3, with its bookshelfs with Quran look a like being torn to pieces would even be glamourized, as a tool, like the Deus EX Human Revolution videos where the character hits the prostitutes, or any other games where such acts are depicted.

It would even generate some morbid pleasure and satisfaction for some players, even to the point of making fun of it and pointing at it on any opportunity (and it will happen, just wait). People will use these "tools" to cause whatever effects they want, in this case, its not to glorify the muslim. The books are there to be thrown around, stepped over, something that in the specific culture of muslims... coincidentally is offensive. and that the risk of having it on the game, so people will even script situations, larp, and narrate under this premisse "ooops, another quran book went flying, sorry" as in "Like I give a fuck, fuck them muslims!" and that message starts resounding, an entire generation will get yet another negative view or point of view of the muslim religion/cultures.

Its an old war. Its also very old knowledge that they cant never get along. Its just that we are too polite to go into massive extermination campaigns like in the past. The war is still happens silently. If one side could dominate by language, culture or religion, it would, and there are people with too much money and power, to just pull strings and wage these wars as their life purposes. Inheriting it from their parents/social upbringing/culture (!), generation after generation.

You see, you cannot put people in death camps, but you can troll them sub repticiously using all sources of media and internet, slowly but surelly on all opportunities, each person a peon, pushing their culture borders into others.

And yet people say to these things: "its just a game", "its just a song", "its just a movie", "its just a comic", "its just a texture". EVERYTHING ADDS UP. Thats why everyone is so "sensitive". Thats why you have strong lobby affecting your laws since forever. Fail to see the bigger picture, the fragment and reiterated offense, banalizing it, or just down playing it politelly a diplomatic way, a glove slap. What is behind this, people would kill for it, thats how strong they feel about it.

"if its just a little thing, why dont you abdicate from your symbols, religion, culture"? In the end, even if one individual doesnt see it or feel it, a group of people will keep cohesion and protect themselfs by instinct. "I see what you did there, you are hurting my culture, my religion, offending my symbols, trying to weaken everything that surrounds my beliefs, laws, way of life and so on". A little thing, you think? Some see it as a sharp blade in the soul.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
H7fOD.jpg

STOP!

In The Name Of Love

Terpsichore

Arcane
Interesting said:
The cultural war is ever present. It exists for many years, long before we were born.

With the advent of the internet and the "democratization of the access" to it. Ever more popular the internet, the more frequent the cultural border crossings and interrelations and influences.

On the topic. Sea post was right. Another guy on page 4 also was the voice of reason: Blizzard doesnt have a choice anymore, because its on its best interest to remove that texture if they want to sell. If Bob Kottick is part of some powerfull secret society whose one of the agendas is to push west cultural beliefs or destroying/weakening muslim religion, then it will remain (even though some PR will be there to downplay and damage control).

Another thing: the proportion/scale of the debate ended up being more important than the actual subject of the debate. Its also evidenced by the popularity of this subject on this community.

My insight on the subject:
The cultural war that I mentioned above, silent, almost invisible, yet latent. Its by simple things like putting the muslim sacred book on the floor, being ripped, destroyed, flying around by character skills when destroying the scenary... The sacred book, on the ground, as a reflection of the characters power, at their feet. A subliminal message, another one of thousands that are being thrown in this cultural war. The world is divided into few groups, big power houses representing each culture/religion. most of the heritage, the education, the wisdom, besides political power, money and influence, is geared towards this cultural war. Who will end up dominating? What culture? What religion? What set of beliefs, behaviors, laws, costumes?

If you guys studied a little bit of history, you know how influencing and changing other cultures/religions, how its seen, what is removed, forbidden, incorporated affects a particular civilization. Now that we have internet, It wages daily, you can see how its even more proeminent. It doesnt happen only when a civilization wages war, occupies territory and slaves the losers. Internet broke lots of barriers, its a cultural/religious FREE FOR ALL, influence who you can with the resources you have.

The specific target media of a video game is just a single tool, like movies or songs. Like the ever present USA flag on a movie, if it gets shown a lot to the enemy, its like a pacific conquest like in some new strategy games where they aknowledge "cultural victory conditions".
Having a looklike Quran book in a position where its seen as insignificant, is like having a symbol being destroyed, like a flag being burned. In Diablo 3 you destroy the environment, a bookshelf and there goes flying the Quran, over and over while my barbarian Minsk screams, raging destruction everywhere. A subliminal message for the new generations, the inferiority of that religion/culture substantiated in the disrespect of that symbol.

Who knows if this "muslim gamer" is not just a front used to increase awareness for the many abuses being committed against muslims? Just a small tentacle of the PR' cultural war that you dont see. Just how homosexualism gets being portraied more and more often on the medias. Agendas being pushed. Whether its intentional or not, now that the awareness towards it was raised, it causes effect. Like having detailed female nude character models or hot coffe mods that slip through.

If that texture were to remain, the awareness that the "mid eastern" act 3, with its bookshelfs with Quran look a like being torn to pieces would even be glamourized, as a tool, like the Deus EX Human Revolution videos where the character hits the prostitutes, or any other games where such acts are depicted.

It would even generate some morbid pleasure and satisfaction for some players, even to the point of making fun of it and pointing at it on any opportunity (and it will happen, just wait). People will use these "tools" to cause whatever effects they want, in this case, its not to glorify the muslim. The books are there to be thrown around, stepped over, something that in the specific culture of muslims... coincidentally is offensive. and that the risk of having it on the game, so people will even script situations, larp, and narrate under this premisse "ooops, another quran book went flying, sorry" as in "Like I give a fuck, fuck them muslims!" and that message starts resounding, an entire generation will get yet another negative view or point of view of the muslim religion/cultures.

Its an old war. Its also very old knowledge that they cant never get along. Its just that we are too polite to go into massive extermination campaigns like in the past. The war is still happens silently. If one side could dominate by language, culture or religion, it would, and there are people with too much money and power, to just pull strings and wage these wars as their life purposes. Inheriting it from their parents/social upbringing/culture (!), generation after generation.

You see, you cannot put people in death camps, but you can troll them sub repticiously using all sources of media and internet, slowly but surelly on all opportunities, each person a peon, pushing their culture borders into others.

And yet people say to these things: "its just a game", "its just a song", "its just a movie", "its just a comic", "its just a texture". EVERYTHING ADDS UP. Thats why everyone is so "sensitive". Thats why you have strong lobby affecting your laws since forever. Fail to see the bigger picture, the fragment and reiterated offense, banalizing it, or just down playing it politelly a diplomatic way, a glove slap. What is behind this, people would kill for it, thats how strong they feel about it.

"if its just a little thing, why dont you abdicate from your symbols, religion, culture"? In the end, even if one individual doesnt see it or feel it, a group of people will keep cohesion and protect themselfs by instinct. "I see what you did there, you are hurting my culture, my religion, offending my symbols, trying to weaken everything that surrounds my beliefs, laws, way of life and so on". A little thing, you think? Some see it as a sharp blade in the soul.

Shut up.

Coyote

Arcane
:retarded:

I would be sure you were trolling if you hadn't put so much apparent effort into your post, and I still wonder if you didn't just copy and paste most of it. But to play along for the moment: your entire post seems to be predicated on the notion that a significant portion of non-Muslim Diablo players would even recognize the book as the Quran; a symbol can't affect judgments unless people already associate it with something in the first place (e.g., if I had never seen an American flag and didn't know what it was, the act of burning it would elicit no feelings or shifts in attitude from me, positive or negative, towards the US). But this strikes me as unlikely because very few people are going to look at the book that closely while playing the game in the first place and of those that do, very few will be familiar enough with Islam to associate the design of the book with it. And those who are familiar enough to recognize it will most likely be the sort of people who are predisposed towards tolerating Islam in the first place. Plus, that's all assuming that the design of the book in D3 is even widely and exclusively associated with the Quran in the first place, which other posts in this thread have disputed.

Marsal

Arcane
Interesting said:
Its an old war. Its also very old knowledge that they cant never get along. Its just that we are too polite to go into massive extermination campaigns like in the past. The war is still happens silently.
:bravo:

There is a nugget of pure shit hidden beneath all those grammatical errors.

Lexx

Cipher
Drakron said:
opium fiend said:
I didn't read all 9 pages of this so it could already have been answered but what was anti-Allah in witcher 2?

They used prayer carpet as the textures in some carpets that were in a whorehouse.

Wait, does that mean muslims visited the whorehouse? :M

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
You guys know nomask by any chance...never got to meet him.

Teepo

Scholar
God is real, you guys don't even know.

When Rapture happens we'll see who's the bitch.

snoek

Cipher
nah... more like a bunch of jews waiting to sue if it ain't removed outta the game.

Also: who cares if you're offended by a product... tough luck and move on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom