Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Developer Story Time with Old Man Davis

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Maybe you should have saved up your nickels and bought Star Control yourself.

I wasn't invited to the auction...

MAN. I wonder how much they paid for it. If it was only 6 figures, I *MIGHT* have been able to get it with some help from my rich friends.

Argh.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Why is everyone so upset about Wargaming grabbing MoO? They have shitload of money to launch a high-funded sequel. Who else could do better for the series? Valve? Blizzard? They do not bother themselves with such genres and Paradox is too entrenched in their presudo-realtime traditional grand strategies. Stardock ruined enough of their games to allow them another one.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Why is everyone so upset about Wargaming grabbing MoO? They have shitload of money to launch a high-funded sequel. Who else could do better for the series? Valve? Blizzard? They do not bother themselves with such путкуы and Paradox is too entrenched in their presudo-realtime traditional grand strategies. Stardock ruined enough of their games to allow them another one.

I fear the F2P machine getting the MoO franchise.

They definitely have the resources to make a great game - no doubt, will they? I don't know.
A lot of people like WoTs, but it is an inherently different game than MoO.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Maybe they can make monetize their games in a traditional way!

What is Obsidian Entertainment's favourite money making scheme Anthony Davis?

Naaah, look, I didn't mean to be so... whiny about this.

Companies gotta make money, I get that, I support that. I just would like *REAL* sequels to MoO2 and SC2.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
They approach to microtransactions in a VERY different way than EA and such. More like Valve - not turning game into pay2win, and resources they spend on balance actually give results - their premium tanks and gold ammo is not a win button, which is, IMo, main reason for their success. I can live with such F2P allright. Plus, they started as a turn-based strategy developers with quite successful Massive Assault series after which they've found motherlode of WoT.

Murk

Arcane
Read like 3 pages before I realized I wasn't reading Brother None's posts.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Sometimes I'm reading a thread and go "wait, did I post in this thread?!" Haha.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Maybe they can make monetize their games in a traditional way!

What is Obsidian Entertainment's favourite money making scheme Anthony Davis?

Naaah, look, I didn't mean to be so... whiny about this.

Companies gotta make money, I get that, I support that. I just would like *REAL* sequels to MoO2 and SC2.
I can't see why they'd want the MoO brand for a Free2Play cashgrab, so it's fair to hope that they're actually fans who want so spend some of their fortune on reviving an old favorite.

What Stardock is going to do with Star Control is a bigger question.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Before the beginning the gods crafted seven donuts within the cosmic oven infusing them with power over the realms of mortals. The gods used these donuts to create the first worlds and placed them next to the cosmic oven. When the work of creation was finished the gods hid the donuts using the power of the cosmic oven and so their secrets remained hidden... for a time.

Then the unthinkable happened, the cosmic oven was stolen. The magic concealing the seven donuts failed. News of the donuts spread throughout the countless worlds. With it spread an even more unbelievable rumor, whoever consumes all seven donuts will gain power over creation itself.

A new age is about to begin, a new page will be written in the book of fate, it is the time of the seven and the dawning of a new destiny. Who will prove worthy.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Before the beginning the gods crafted seven donuts within the cosmic oven infusing them with power over the realms of mortals. The gods used these donuts to create the first worlds and placed them next to the cosmic oven. When the work of creation was finished the gods hid the donuts using the power of the cosmic oven and so their secrets remained hidden... for a time.

Then the unthinkable happened, the cosmic oven was stolen. The magic concealing the seven donuts failed. News of the donuts spread throughout the countless worlds. With it spread an even more unbelievable rumor, whoever consumes all seven donuts will gain power over creation itself.

A new age is about to begin, a new page will be written in the book of fate, it is the time of the seven and the dawning of a new destiny. Who will prove worthy.
Why are you harvesting my dreams?!

Duraframe300

Arcane
Anthony, I recently read this trenches story over at penny arcade

Anonymous
I am the “truly insufferable co-worker” from this post:
http://trenchescomic.com/tales/post/you-are-not-your-fucking-bugcount
The title was Neverwinter Nights 2. The licensed property was Dungeons and Dragons.
The original poster’s portrayal of me is a little misguided: I never cared about my bug count. I’ve been a D&D geek for sometime, and I owned all the books…and yes, even brought them to work. I’d been a weekly GM for years, and loved the Forgotten Realms universe and story.
However, I never cared about my bug count. I didn’t care how many bugs I submitted. All I cared about was how good a game we made. I loved Dungeons and Dragons so much, I wanted the game to be perfect.
As a QA Tester, bugs were the only voice I had: I tried to use that voice to make the game better.
If the poster had ever talked to me, he’d have known how passionate about the game I was. If being passionate about Dungeons and Dragons is a crime, color me guilty and proud of it.
He only saw my bug count as a chore I inflicted…I saw them as the only way I could help him develop the game.

How was the QA situation back then at Obsidian? And what are the Pro's/Con's of having such to the source-material dedicated QA testers?

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Anthony, I recently read this trenches story over at penny arcade

Anonymous
I am the “truly insufferable co-worker” from this post:
http://trenchescomic.com/tales/post/you-are-not-your-fucking-bugcount
The title was Neverwinter Nights 2. The licensed property was Dungeons and Dragons.
The original poster’s portrayal of me is a little misguided: I never cared about my bug count. I’ve been a D&D geek for sometime, and I owned all the books…and yes, even brought them to work. I’d been a weekly GM for years, and loved the Forgotten Realms universe and story.
However, I never cared about my bug count. I didn’t care how many bugs I submitted. All I cared about was how good a game we made. I loved Dungeons and Dragons so much, I wanted the game to be perfect.
As a QA Tester, bugs were the only voice I had: I tried to use that voice to make the game better.
If the poster had ever talked to me, he’d have known how passionate about the game I was. If being passionate about Dungeons and Dragons is a crime, color me guilty and proud of it.
He only saw my bug count as a chore I inflicted…I saw them as the only way I could help him develop the game.

How was the QA situation back then at Obsidian? And what are the Pro's/Con's of having such to the source-material dedicated QA testers?

I saw this too and posted it on facebook to see if any of my old comrades remember more of this than I do.

I remember this QA person in particular, but I do not know for sure who wrote the original comment on The Trenches complaining about the QA guy.

The QA situation at Obsidian varies slightly from project to project. Obsidian has internal QA and QA Producers. The rest of the QA needs are determined by the project. Sometimes a publisher will provide their own QA working in tandem with Obsidian's QA, sometimes they will provide QA support in the form of a "testing" contractor working in tandem with Obsdian's QA, and finally sometimes they publisher provides funds in the contract for hiring internal QA - and in that case Obsidian then hires up an internal team for QA.

The QA situation at Obsidian is actually pretty good for an independent developer. The sad truth is that many, many independent developers don't have money for QA at all. That doesn't mean QA doesn't happen of course, almost everyone in the game industry wears multiple hats and EVERYONE has a QA hat. The owners at Obsidian recognized from an early point that QA was a necessary expense. I know everyone is like Bugsidian, har har har, but the QA guys there do work hard and it is a thankless job.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Pity then that they still ended up making one of the worst D&D video games ever. :roll:

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Pity then that they still ended up making one of the worst D&D video games ever. :roll:

At least it wasn't as bad as NWN 1. That is one of the few games I regret spending money on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom