Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Pre-Release Thread

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Laughed at ol' NO MORE FREE RIDES writing a puff piece review http://heatst.com/tech/review-deus-ex-mankind-divided-lives-up-to-the-hype/ http://archive.is/X6VHI

His only criticisms:

The only area in Mankind Divided that could be considered weak is its slow-to-burn opening that doesn’t put players into the meat of the game, offering instead a standard, corridor-shooter mission reminiscent of Call of Duty. Though it’s intended to teach the game’s basic combat mechanics, it serves more to mislead players away from the heart of the game: its fully explorable open-world environment.

Playing on the PC, I also experienced a few technical hitches but it’s nothing the developers aren’t already fixing in the day one patch. I was warned by the publisher that I’d experience a few hiccups, so I knew what I was getting into. A DX12 update is also forthcoming in early September to further improve the game’s performance.

imweasel

8OvOxhx.png

#1 and #2 on Steam.

I am certain Square Enix asked for this.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I guess I assumed microtransactions are something you can only buy inside a game (but I might be wrong).

More to the point, we still haven't seen any official announcement of the main game having microtransactions, only the Breach mode. Like I said earlier, it would be extremely unusual if they went "lol actually the entire game has microtransactions" on release day. That's not something you hide unless you want a PR nightmare from hell.

The season pass description doesn't make it seem like:

• Two new story DLC’s.
  • The “Assault” and “Tactical” packs, which include various weapons and items.
  • 4 Praxis Kits.
  • 5000 Credits.
  • 1000 Weapon Parts.
  • 5 Booster Packs and 20 Chipsets for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided – Breach.

But I guess we'll see later today.

ThoseDeafMutes

Learned
The final slap in the face for the PC release -

The Steelbook edition (might only be available in Aus) features a platform agnostic steelbook case. They give you both the regular game case alongside the steelbook case, both within a cardboard sleeve. This presumably simplifies manufacturing greatly. The problem of course is that the PC version ships on 4 dvds and the steelbook case is designed to hold one disc since the PS4 / XBO versions are on a single Blu-Ray. So, you can only fit one of the four discs inside the steelbook case if you bought the PC steelbook edition like I did.

:neveraskedforthis:

Disgruntled

Savant
My expectations were pretty floored from the first gameplay reveal and seeing bleeding heart Jenson as the protagonist again.
Hardly bothered keeping up since, i trust ill get my moneys worth in deus ex hub exploration but little else.

Surely it cant get worse going in with this mindframe.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Some people are saying they've spent 40 hours in the game and aren't finished.

ThoseDeafMutes

Learned
Some people are saying they've spent 40 hours in the game and aren't finished.

Yeah, there's always some people who take way longer than average for a given game. Jim Sterling says it was 30 hours. Most people I've seen say closer to 20, which is similar to the other Deus Ex games. Stealth takes longer than guns blazing, stopping to be thorough in your searches / hacking all the things will bloat your play time.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
#1 and #2 on Steam.

I am certain Square Enix asked for this.

At this point you could sell a season pass that has no actual content in it. People are going to buy these just to get the "complete" package. I doubt they even check what is included anymore.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Yeah the Season Pass sounds like a massive waste of money. Unless those two story DLCs are the size of Missing Link, at the very least, I'm going to give it a skip.

tormund

Arcane
It's still remarkable. Contents of season pass are underwhelming, not to mention that there is almost a tradition for SE/Eidos stuff being devoid of bigger, meaningful content DLC at this point (Absolution, Thief reboot, new TR games).
Average gamer really is free of common sense and longer memory.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
There's a very worrying trend lately where gamers defend godawful business practices. I have a feeling we're looking at the "Oblibion was my favrite gaem when I was 9" crowd all grown up.

We've always had people defending decline, but not to the extent where it now seems to have become mainstream opinion.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Nobody is forcing you to buy shit. And the business models are not in any way likely to change. So quit whining about it, it won't change. It is quite a lucrative market and has been for years.

Accept the situation or quit bitching. It's getting old listening to this constant whine about "omggg dlccss.. omg seaon passæez" y u do diss??

It's the practice now, whether you disagree about it or not. If you don't want that, then vote with your wallet.

The reason it still exists, is because people pay for it, meaning people don't mind paying for season passes and dlcs, meaning people see quality in the content for whatever reason, meaning it's unlikely to change.

Personally, if the core game is great and I can acquire it for a good price, I don't mind season passes and dlcs.

ThoseDeafMutes

Learned
Yeah the Season Pass sounds like a massive waste of money. Unless those two story DLCs are the size of Missing Link, at the very least, I'm going to give it a skip.

I mean they might be that big, although I wouldn't expect it. Buying the missions separately is probably going to be a better deal considering that part of the season pass "value" is micro-transaction stuff for Breach mode and extra praxis / credits / weapons for the campaign. Maybe if the season pass goes on deep discount or something it will be a solid purchase. But there's just too many unknowns at this moment.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Nobody is forcing you to buy shit. And the business models are not in any way likely to change. So quit whining about it, it won't change. It is quite a lucrative market and has been for years.

Accept the situation or quit bitching. It's getting old listening to this constant whine about "omggg dlccss.. omg seaon passæez" y u do diss??

It's the practice now, whether you disagree about it or not. If you don't want that, then vote with your wallet.

The reason it still exists, is because people pay for it, meaning people don't mind paying for season passes and dlcs, meaning people see quality in the content for whatever reason, meaning it's unlikely to change.

Personally, if the core game is great and I can acquire it for a good price, I don't mind season passes and dlcs.

Was Oblibion your favorite game at 9?

SwiftCrack

Arcane
There's a very worrying trend lately where gamers defend godawful business practices. I have a feeling we're looking at the "Oblibion was my favrite gaem when I was 9" crowd all grown up.

We've always had people defending decline, but not to the extent where it now seems to have become mainstream opinion.

That's because 'gamers' nowadays are the same shitlibs that tell you to check your privilege on Facebook while supporting Bernie Sanders.

Everything is lost on them.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

Was Oblibion your favorite game at 9?

A business that tries to make money. Oh the pain of it all. I am shocked and appalled. Entirely new concept this is, we haven't literally seen this before.... more news at 11.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
A business that tries to make money. Oh the pain of it all. I am shocked and appalled. Entirely new concept this is, we haven't literally seen this before.... more news at 11.
As always it's about balance. Offering "horse armor", extra credits, more upgrade kits, etc is one thing. Offering things that were clearly removed from the game in order to be sold separately - weapons and quests - is another. It's not good business, it's fucking dickery.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
As always it's about balance. Offering "horse armor", extra credits, more upgrade kits, etc is one thing. Offering things that were clearly removed from the game in order to be sold separately - weapons and quests - is another. It's not good business, it's fucking dickery.

As I said, whether it is "morally" acceptable or not that several companies offer some part of their game as extras, that should have been a part of the core package, is entirely up for discussion. I don't like when parts of the core experience gets outsourced to dlcs or season passes, either, but I understand why companies do it, and I'm not surprised that the practice is the way it is now in the industry. Will it change? Doubtful. But maybe.

If we as gamers are unhappy, then we shouldn't buy it, which should send a clear signal to the companies, that the price is too high, or the content too thin, or both.

There are companies that usually put out quality content, be it main game or dlcs/season passes, that I'm more likely to take a chance on, and then there's several other companies, where I usually don't buy extras or even the main game, because the overall quality is just shitty and past experiences has been shitty, too.

It all comes down to supply and demand, if people want it bad enough, and if they are for whatever reason invested enough in the product, well, then they are really at the mercy of the productowners and will probably put out cash right away.

One guy might view it as overpriced and lacking in content, while another guy thinks it's just worth owning.

Same with high priced cars, jewlery, clothing, housing, and so on. The value of things can be hard to properly gauge in free market/capitalist societies.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom