Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dead State: Reanimated

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
"Oh, this car has a shift on the steering wheel, we know that, but we will correct as soon as possible".
Paddle.jpg

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Goddamn. Remember how articulate, funny, and rational Annie use to be? What the fuck? I'm past the point of even laughing anymore. This shit is just sad. It doesn't even seem like the same person!
It's probably because she joined the SJW hivemind, trading her sense of humor for entitlement and self-imporance. SJW: not even once.

It's a shame, things could have been so different for Double Bear and Dead State. Hopefully it doesn't reflect badly on AOD in any way. Annie just needs to go on social media lock down till she cools off.

the_shadow

Arcane
The "threats" she keeps mentioning was someone threatening to keep bumping a forum thread criticizing the game until the dev's apologised for the shit state of the release version. Don't threaten to bump threads motherfucker!

:shunthenonbeliever:

While I wouldn't call it harassment, it doesn't surprise me that the thread was locked due to such childish behaviour. "YOU'RE GOING TO APOLOGISE PUBLICALLY, OR I'LL SCREAM AND SCREAM UNTIL I'M SICK!!! WHAT, YOU'RE NOT GOING TO APOLOGISE? *SQUUUUEEEEEALLLL*"

All I can think of with these critics jumping on the bandwagon to trash another small indie RPG developer is "Pearls before swine". When RPGs go the way of the adventure game, and all the 'old-school' gamers are lamenting it, I'll just be lolling. Suck it up, whiners!

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
The "threats" she keeps mentioning was someone threatening to keep bumping a forum thread criticizing the game until the dev's apologised for the shit state of the release version. Don't threaten to bump threads motherfucker!

:shunthenonbeliever:

While I wouldn't call it harassment, it doesn't surprise me that the thread was locked due to such childish behaviour. "YOU'RE GOING TO APOLOGISE PUBLICALLY, OR I'LL SCREAM AND SCREAM UNTIL I'M SICK!!! WHAT, YOU'RE NOT GOING TO APOLOGISE? *SQUUUUEEEEEALLLL*"
They should apologise publicly and offer refunds, though. They released an an-finished game with a long list of known bugs without informing customers about it.
And if they don't want to do it willingly, they should be forced to do it.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

All I can think of with these critics jumping on the bandwagon to trash another small indie RPG developer is "Pearls before swine". When RPGs go the way of the adventure game, and all the 'old-school' gamers are lamenting it, I'll just be lolling. Suck it up, whiners!
When? It already happened.

Diablo169

Arcane
They should apologise publicly and offer refunds, though. They released an an-finished game with a long list of known bugs without informing customers about it.

Nah, this isn't 1995 where your waiting for a magazine review to tell you if a game is good or not. Do some research on what your buying or STFU.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
All I can think of with these critics jumping on the bandwagon to trash another small indie RPG developer

What does being a small indie developer have to do with anything? They're the one who released a bugfest. Being small and indie is no excuse.

Athelas

Arcane
Could this mean the end of the Mitsoda's video game career? Though Obsidian could probably use someone with a heavy Midwestern accent to narrate the ending slides of PoE right about now.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014

'sup Annie

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012

Nah, this isn't 1995 where your waiting for a magazine review to tell you if a game is good or not. Do some research on what your buying or STFU.
You vile subhuman. I'm going to add you to my ignore list because you lack moral clarity. You deserve to have your hands cut off, though.

Diablo169

Arcane
Could this mean the end of the Mitsoda's video game career? Though Obsidian could probably use someone with a heavy Midwestern accent to narrate the ending slides of PoE right about now.

To be fair hasn't it been mostly over since Bloodlines? look at his body of work since then.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Well, he does have the Torment gig.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

To be fair hasn't it been mostly over since Bloodlines? look at his body of work since then.
He got to work on Alpha Protocol!

(and have it all rewritten by MCA)

Angthoron

Arcane

They also had demos and shareware in 1995. We have paid betas now.

Best route for DB would be to apologize, I agree. It doesn't have to be a monumental pile of begging for forgiveness, I already posted a general layout of a dignified apology a couple pages back. They could offer refunds in connection with it, to be honest, I doubt many would take up on that offer. Right now DB needs good will more than it needs bad publicity, and a bit of backpedaling and "listening to criticism" will go a pretty long way. They could even get TB involved since he was the one to reach out to them to begin with. Just do some grown-up shit, basically. It's amusing I have to explain this, really, since it should be very obvious. And yeah, maybe it's an unfair thing, but they got themselves to where they are, and by thrashing about they'll only make it worse.

They really shouldn't. The game has a few bugs but it is fine. Annie has already given as much apology as their known issues list deserves.
Oh hey what if some people don't read twitter? A shocking thought, I know, but some people choose to avoid shitty social media when all they wanted was to play a game. Maybe make an instagram pic with a "Sorry for bugs" caption too, I'm sure people will go to it from Steam storefront.

All I can think of with these critics jumping on the bandwagon to trash another small indie RPG developer

What does being a small indie developer have to do with anything? They're the one who released a bugfest. Being small and indie is no excuse.
Not to mention that I kinda wonder, how many small indie RPG devs has the public mauled to death over nothing this last year?

Edity-edit: All things said, I gotta say that I feel pretty bad for the devs to have this happen over the holiday season. Sure, it's pretty much their fault, but it's still pretty shit to have even on an average week, let alone when you're supposed to have all the family and assorted jolly shit.

Last edited:

SniperHF

Arcane
Far as I'm concerned Hollywood on release in WL2 was way more broken than anything in Dead State. InXile had the benefit of it being so late in the game that it wasn't seen by many people till a month later. And by that time it was patched.

This has nothing to do with DB and their mods making it worse of course. Never engage on the Steam forums. It ain't worth it.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They really shouldn't. The game has a few bugs but it is fine. Annie has already given as much apology as their known issues list deserves.
Oh hey what if some people don't read twitter? A shocking thought, I know, but some people choose to avoid shitty social media when all they wanted was to play a game.
That's my point. The game has some minor bugs. That's it. There's nothing to apologize for. There are some glitches, they know, they're fixing them, just like every other game that's been released in the last 20 years. If you actually read the known issues list, you'll see that there's nothing gamebreaking on there. Even an offhand apology on Twitter is giving these complaints more dignity than they deserve.

Now if you're saying that every game developer everywhere should put a huge public apology on their storefront for every game they ever release, because there are inevitably some bugs, then it's valid to expect that in this case too. If you think that there is something exceptional about this particular release that necessitates an exceptional response from the devs, you're simply wrong.

Have you actually played the game? I have to assume you haven't, so I'm telling you again: it plays fine. Stop believing the hype from one anal forum troll who insists on perfection and expects tearful penance when he doesn't get his way.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I hope they fired whoever it was who flagged that review.

Lesson to learn: People are going to write stupid reviews. Just let it go. If your product is good enough, the positive impressions will drown out the bad even when the latter has a few alts (I doubt he made hundreds of fake accounts to upvote his review).

the_shadow

Arcane

"Stop talking common sense, person who has actually played the game! I'm going to squeal real loud until I'm sick if they don't give a public apology, even to the people who enjoyed the game! *SQUUUUEAALLLLLL HURL*"

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I hope they fired whoever it was who flagged that review.

Annie's done far more damage than whoever flagged the review. If she stays then that person deserves a second chance too. Unless of course it was actually Annie who flagged it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Annie's done far more damage than whoever flagged the review. If she stays then that person deserves a second chance too. Unless of course it was actually Annie who flagged it.

If she had just complained about it on twitter and tumblr without the flagging, hardly anyone would care and we wouldn't have an imgur pic with over a million views.

Basically it would have been equivalent to Brian Fargo crying on twitter about that bad score he got because of bugs.

deuxhero

Arcane
Goddamn. Remember how articulate, funny, and rational Annie use to be? What the fuck? I'm past the point of even laughing anymore. This shit is just sad. It doesn't even seem like the same person!

Annie was always at least slighty unhinged.

While I'm not a medical professional, especially not an expert on "brain problems" I would hope she literally gets her head examined (mri ect), as I feel there's some problem (tumor ect) that has gotten worse over time.

Angthoron

Arcane
Oh hey what if some people don't read twitter? A shocking thought, I know, but some people choose to avoid shitty social media when all they wanted was to play a game.
Have you actually played the game? I have to assume you haven't, so I'm telling you again: it plays fine.
You assume too much, then, because I have since the first release, and the bugs weren't major for my personal tastes. But who are you to tell me, exactly? Your word's worth should be more to me than some guy's, whose review was upvoted around a couple of thousand times at a storefront? Okay, sure, I believe you, stranger. Would you like the number of my credit card?

In case you are caught on the surface level of that, let me explain: This is the fabled "Web 2.0". Your single voice is nothing when the other guy has thousands of thumbs-up to one more random passer-by. Your opinion is invalid. It might well be a statistical fluke, you might just enjoy shit. You may be a dev or a sock puppet or a blind fan. The other guy has hundreds of thumbs at the storefront. Do you see the problem yet?

In case you don't (I hope you do): Annie isn't selling her game on Twitter and Tumblr. She's selling it on Steam. Steam has a serious problem - negative reviews are getting a massive amount of upvotes because of, possibly, kneejerk reactions from people that never even bought the game or so much as seen a single gameplay video, like Le Reddit Army lel lel upboat. What must be done to stop this trend? Hint: It's not about telling people that everything's swell and that they should wise up/shut up/stop listening to trolls. That could've worked before the guy got banned/had posts erased. I'm sure it's not Annie that did that, but whoever the dumbfuck was, he set DoubleBear on this course, and it's not going to be changed by chanting "All is cool, all is cool". Too late for that.

I actually want DB to get out of this situation and be able to make a new game with all the things they learned from this, but for that, they actually need to break the downward spiral first, and it's gone down far enough that they can't actually ignore the (possibly intentionally trollbaited) opener.

Does this make sense? I fucking hope it does, because wowie, there's people between "Its gud, shut up"/"Lol u babby squeeler" and "Its shit omfg refunds"/"Behead all liar devs" and DB should be making money out of those. Currently they aren't, because their course is in need of some serious fucking correction rather than displays of emotion on social media. And yeah, this is an event that causes direct losses, unlike the previously discussed piracy.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
annie on twitter said:
Situation: guy on Steam forums posts something calling our game a "cash grab" and demanding Brian publically apologize to him -
The demand came with a threat to keep bumping the thread to be the first until Brian did so. This was harassment, mods locked the thread.

This shitstorm was caused by one user who barely did anything?

Wow. The Codex trolls have a lot to learn.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom