Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Dead State Design Update

Wunderpurps

Educated
GarfunkeL said:
Healthy scepticism is one thing ("Well, we'll see if this goes anywhere"), posting excessively in every thread related to the vapourware in question and basically telling the guys actually doing the game how someone with no merits
How do you know that? You don't. What games have you made? None? What software of any kind? None. Pretty easy to tell how little you know if you ever picked up a C++ book in your life. You just have no idea what you're gabbing about, you're an ignorant fanboy. If it wasn't for the retarded fanboi reactions then the original comments made by people with some common sense would be a very small part of this thread, and they were very restrained and polite.

GarfunkeL said:
Every indie project gets these mean doubters.
Yeah they are called people with common sense. Will this project fold like the other 9999 just like it? Hard to tell. I do reserve judgement, but when the "make me a game" post update came I had my answer. This igame is never coming out, not unless it gets funding or he manages to convince someone to do 5 years of free work. Like mortmal and villain, for me the comedy is too hard to pass up.

GarfunkeL said:
It's one thing when Shinonage critiques someone's engine/programming choices
I tried to be polite with shihonage but I've never seen a project that was a bigger joke, or a supposed programmer with less common sense. One mild pointer to maybe not switch to some other project in the middle of the current one and the guy went completely mented. And I've seen the advice he does give other people. Really, how old is he, ten?

GarfunkeL said:
and a completely different thing when someone just claims "oh yes, I'm a programming guru with dozens of projects under my belt".
When did I say that? Never did. But you know what there's about a zillion people who can claim just that. Someone like you should simply be silent in a discussion like this on a topic you know nothing about.

GarfunkeL said:
unlike Wunderpups who probably is yet another alt trying to shit on any indie - possibly because his own project never got anywhere and he's terribly frustrated.

I never claimed to have a project. If I did have one my personality is such that I would not talk about the whole subject ever again if I had such a failure. I only have a few interests, but I know them very well and usually don't bother offering serious opinions unless I do, or even care to discuss it at all.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Ah, so it IS an alt. I distinctively remember a completely different name shitting over Shinonage's project and you just admitted to being that one. So yeah, DrogBryce to the rescue, saving the world from indie fanboys one thread at a time.

Wunderpurps

Educated
I was referring to when I made some innocent post in the last page or two of his thread and he went mental telling me to stop PMing him, but last I checked I was still just me.

But SuperDrogBryce has a good ring to it, maybe I will switch to that.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Wunderpurps said:
No one goes into games to make a game for someone else. Anyone who has that much energy and expertise is already going to be making a game or working in the game industry.

Hey Prosper. :)

If this was true, ID Software and teams that have done similar, cannot possibly exist.

However in my case, your statement is true. If I wasn't working on my own engine and it wasn't a big mess atm, I would work with these guys without a second thought. My knowledge and a hell of a lot of work is tied up in the C4 Engine and they are using Torque and Iron Tower's engine. However I am still very tempted, because I know how good this is.

Inexperienced people are offered a chance to work with and learn from one of the guys that made VtM Bloodlines and some say it is not good enough? If this isn't a big opportunity, I don't know what is.

MCA
GarfunkeL said:
Ah, so it IS an alt. I distinctively remember a completely different name shitting over Shinonage's project and you just admitted to being that one. So yeah, DrogBryce to the rescue, saving the world from indie fanboys one thread at a time.

Speaking of Shihonage's project, by the way; when is it coming out?

:troll:

Teepo

Scholar
The writing is so bad, I want to end my own life.

Nothing that can't be fixed by hiring a writer.

By the time this game comes out video game graphics will be like real life.

Don't we have 5,000 zombie games with shitty interfaces. How many good ones do we have?

I will be playing Dead Island and that capcom zombie game, not Resident Evil, the more RPG-y one by the time this is released.

If this game has even a competent RPG system I will probably play it though.

Wunderpurps

Educated
Davaris said:
Inexperienced people are offered a chance to work with and learn from one of the guys that made VtM Bloodlines and some say it is not good enough? If this isn't a big opportunity, I don't know what is.

And where's the career path here? You make a game for free, then you hope that they let you work on the next one, but once all those tools are made guess what? They don't need you any more.

To them you're just making some tools. In reality you are essentially making the actual game, and all they are doing is artwork and writing and "supervising".

So then you are supposed to start all over, taking what you supposedly learned from these guys to make another game? So that's a second game you'll make with no money up front if you do, and since it's work for hire and some work is done already you won't have any right to the codebase so you will be starting from scratch.

Most people can't make a project like this happen even if they get a paycheck each week for their work. Realistically only about one in a million people are going to make a big project like this completely on their own time. No one's going to do it twice, three times, or more in their spare time.

And that's assuming all goes well. Much more likely it's a complete waste of time, though I have more confidence in dead state than 99.99% of the projects I see. Until now I did anyway.

Wunderpurps

Educated
Davaris said:
Wunderpurps said:

Do it for the love of RPGs, Prosper. :D

I can't make money as an exotic dancer forever. I have to think of the future.

Also, making tools is just drudgework. It's not like you are really making a game. May as well get a job at a bank.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom