Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dead Space 3, or How To Fuck Up A Popamole Game

Brinko

Arcane

Ignore the review itself, its what you would come to expect with the first 10 seconds being "Brought to you by SlimJim" with an EA logo next to it, the comments section is the goldmine. They are getting their assholes torn open wide.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The ONLY good thing about the Dead Space series, is that this was originally System Shock III. And thankfully they could not get the right's for it and rape that corpse.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013

Ignore the review itself, its what you would come to expect with the first 10 seconds being "Brought to you by SlimJim" with an EA logo next to it, the comments section is the goldmine. They are getting their assholes torn open wide.

From the comments;

Who really gives a shit about the rating honestly it was well put together and good constructive points were made all around. Yeah she kind of skimmed over the quality of the story and the horror elements but just because it was given a 5/5 doesn't mean it should detract from the video over all. It isn't a ridiculous score anyway.

LOL. 5/5 isn't a ridiculous score?

Borelli

Arcane
What about the foot stomp? The only Dead Space i played was the first one and the foot stomping was by far my favorite part of the game, it feels so manly, so powerful the way Isaac grunts HMMPH when he stomps someone, and you can open boxes and decapitate necromorph corpses with it, yes it's that strong.
The ONLY good thing about the Dead Space series, is that this was originally System Shock III. And thankfully they could not get the right's for it and rape that corpse.

Woah, really? So they planned to make SS3 a third person action game with no RPG elements and weak horror?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Woah, really? So they planned to make SS3 a third person action game with no RPG elements and weak horror?

This is EA. What do you think they would have turned it into?

What about the foot stomp? The only Dead Space i played was the first one and the foot stomping was by far my favorite part of the game, it feels so manly, so powerful the way Isaac grunts HMMPH when he stomps someone, and you can open boxes and decapitate necromorph corpses with it, yes it's that strong.

Foot stomp wasn't removed. Since DS2 you actually need to do more of it to have loot pop out from corpses (that or waste ammo).

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
they'll not care, blame piracy, blame people not accepting a new ip and go back churning crappy fifa x, nba y, nhl z and more and more sims.
EA hasn't made a real NBA game since 2010 because 2K trashed them so thoroughly for years. If only they hadn't gotten an exclusive license for the NFL.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
EA hasn't made a real NBA game since 2010 because 2K trashed them so thoroughly for years. If only they hadn't gotten an exclusive license for the NFL.

Most of the world is weeping at this terrible injustice. Freedom for Wannabe Rugby Simulator 2013!

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Most of the world is weeping at this terrible injustice. Freedom for Wannabe Rugby Simulator 2013!
Madden is EA's most consistent money maker. If they had competition, they would be in worse shape. This is good for everyone.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
People will still buy it for $60, play if for two hours, set it aside, and never get back to it. Such is the average AAA gamer these days.

Wrong, they'll also buy the inevitable flood of DLC's.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I found the first two games entertaining if you just want a game where you kill shit in the most violent, horrific ways possible.

Then again, I pirated both of them, so my feelings on the matter may be skewed.

Multi-headed Cow

Only played the first one but I'm inclined to agree, Jick. Wasn't terribly good as a horror game but I enjoyed it as an action game. Have yet to play 2. Would buy 3 during a Steam sale for $5-10, except it's probably Origin only so welp.

I found the first two games entertaining if you just want a game where you kill shit in the most violent, horrific ways possible.

Then again, I pirated both of them, so my feelings on the matter may be skewed.

Yeah it's definitely not something to pay the full price for, and I doubt I'll pay ANY price for any of DS games, but as a corridor TPS you can do worse. Of course I also have this weird attraction to cheesy sci-fi "horror" stuff (which is why I also enjoyed Doom 3 a lot) and the monsters in Dead Space look a lot like The Thing, which happens to be my probably favorite monster flick, so that might also be the reason I have fun with the series. I can understand the hate for it too though.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Playing on the planet surface is almost exactly like Lost planet... but without mechs, or heat globs, or anime characters... but you get the gist of it.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Kotaku is literally the worst games website with any kind of following, if this were lawless Georgia I'd march down to their offices and drag them all out into the street and punch stakes through their hearts and be Asia's #1 hero.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I liked the first game, it had excellent sound design and some tense moments. It was especially fun playing it with someone together on the couch (yea yea :roll: ) didn't play the second one yet. Shame the games only got worse.

Gozma

Arcane
Maybe EA can't afford the bribes any longer? I've been suspecting them of being in pretty serious financial trouble for a while now.

It costs like a handful of millet and a kind word to bribe a game reviewer

Dexter

Arcane
Additionally to that, I could actually enjoy this guys opinion, I used to watch that X-Play show with him around E3s in the past etc. if he wasn't such an obvious corporate whore: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wAZDHdU0eo#t=4m50s

No surprise that their videos are sponsored by a partner of EA.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Then when you get to the necromorphs they're nothing like the previous games. They're no longer lumbering, slow monsters

Even the health has been dumbed down. I don't even know what the inventory screen looks like because you no longer need to open it. You now have a hot-button to apply a medpack, meaning gone is the tension of having to open your inventory and use a medpack in the middle of a fight.

parody post? none of those things are true

Have you actually played DS3? For some reason all the previously bipedal necromorphs pretty frequently double over and come at the player on all fours.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
If you'd actually bothered to play the game, you'd notice the pace has been upped in DS3. DS1 + 2 were never shooters that required particularly fast reflexes. You'd rarely miss a shot simply because a necromorph was moving too fast. The pace in DS3 has been upped significantly.

As for the autoheal, I acknowledged it earlier in this thread when people pointed out it was available in the first two games. I'm not sure what your point here is.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
First one was fun and the second one was still quite enjoyable. This one however? It's been smelling worse and worse the more details emerged. Still amazed they threw out the solid romp and stomp of the first games to what amounts to fps pacing and blasting and so lost what made the series fun in the first place.

But hey, EA.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I loved Dead Space 1, especially the opening where you jump into the system... the view from inside your ship... amazing.

Only thing i enjoyed about this latest one was the ripped off alien music while your doing your EVA´s in the planet orbit.

First one was fun and the second one was still quite enjoyable. This one however? It's been smelling worse and worse the more details emerged. Still amazed they threw out the solid romp and stomp of the first games to what amounts to fps pacing and blasting and so lost what made the series fun in the first place.

I really don't see how DS3 is that much more different from DS2, after playing past first chapter. Except it seems to be harder for now, stasis effect lasts a very short amount of time and enemies are tougher (playing on Impossible at least). Universal ammo is a slight decline, but doesn't change as much as I feared, different weapons use it at different rate and it mostly just leaves more inventory space for other stuff.

the pace has been upped in DS3. DS1 + 2 were never shooters that required particularly fast reflexes. You'd rarely miss a shot simply because a necromorph was moving too fast. The pace in DS3 has been upped significantly.

Yes, the fights seem to be more tense now, but fuck me if I won't see it as a plus. Although I thought DS2 was already faster than the first one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom