Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Darkest Dungeon Pre-Release Thread

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
It only has 3 dungeons at the moment, and not all heroes and items are implemented, but it's otherwise very polished. I'd probably compare it to D: OS EA when it became buy-able on Steam.

Anyway, what do you guys think about the Accessory items? Any recommendations? So far most I'm finding are more trouble than they're worth, with a few rare exceptions. All those penalties very rarely outweigh the benefits.
I don't use low quality trinkets, except 2 for my PD (bonus to blight attacks, decrease to blight resistance) - chance he'll be targeted by blight is low and then I still can use the antidote. Same with bleed I guess.

Don't take anything that lowers accuracy.

Also I learned today that keeping the torch at 75-100 to get the bonus round is kinda neato.
Yeah. And there's the Sun Ring and Sun Bracer, which both give some pretty good boosts if you're at >75 Light, which's why I always stock as many torches as possible. Although I gotta say that the Surprise mechanic seems a bit bugged at the moment - I had characters boost Surprise stuff at rest, and still got surprised at 100(!) Light by some lame-o zombies. Gotta love when my party suddenly shuffles so they're all useless and take a ton of unnecessary damage. I guess it's all part of the game, but if it's about management and planning, I want my management and planning mechanic to actually work as stated. Bah. Probably my biggest gripe so far.
I got surprised during rest and started with the enemy surprised (!) and obliterated them during the bonus turn :D

I think the shuffling is fine - it prevents from over-specializing your party. Even during combat when somehow your tank lands in the back row it's hard to get him back to 1-2 spot.

Game is about management - here's a shitty situation now MANAGE the fuck out of it :D

Angthoron

Arcane
It only has 3 dungeons at the moment, and not all heroes and items are implemented, but it's otherwise very polished. I'd probably compare it to D: OS EA when it became buy-able on Steam.

Anyway, what do you guys think about the Accessory items? Any recommendations? So far most I'm finding are more trouble than they're worth, with a few rare exceptions. All those penalties very rarely outweigh the benefits.
I don't use low quality trinkets, except 2 for my PD (bonus to blight attacks, decrease to blight resistance) - chance he'll be targeted by blight is low and then I still can use the antidote. Same with bleed I guess.

Don't take anything that lowers accuracy.

Also I learned today that keeping the torch at 75-100 to get the bonus round is kinda neato.
Yeah. And there's the Sun Ring and Sun Bracer, which both give some pretty good boosts if you're at >75 Light, which's why I always stock as many torches as possible. Although I gotta say that the Surprise mechanic seems a bit bugged at the moment - I had characters boost Surprise stuff at rest, and still got surprised at 100(!) Light by some lame-o zombies. Gotta love when my party suddenly shuffles so they're all useless and take a ton of unnecessary damage. I guess it's all part of the game, but if it's about management and planning, I want my management and planning mechanic to actually work as stated. Bah. Probably my biggest gripe so far.
I got surprised during rest and started with the enemy surprised (!) and obliterated them during the bonus turn :D

I think the shuffling is fine - it prevents from over-specializing your party. Even during combat when somehow your tank lands in the back row it's hard to get him back to 1-2 spot.

Game is about management - here's a shitty situation now MANAGE the fuck out of it :D
Yeah, I'm cool with that, but when you're at 100 light, AND with the Rested Bonus to Surprise/Be Unsurprised still get 4:1 ratio on surprised:surprise other even on the trash encounters in Scouted sections, it's not quite okay.

APGunner

Augur
I don't really understand how stress relief works. I'm sending some of my heroes to the tavern/abbey but nothing happens.
Neat game so far, properly challenging.
After you have commited your characters to stress reliefing places, you have to run a single mission with a different goup. After the mission is over your resting guys will have about 4-5 stress points less.

Angthoron

Arcane
Can you actually torch books? I tried once or twice I think, and it didn't work. Remedies seem to work for fresh corpses, and definitely for alchemy tables; holy water is for tombs, ashes, confession booths and statues; shovel for half-dug graves (and obstacles). There was some use for antidote, I think, but can't recall what; bandages are for bleeding only so far.

Yes, you can torch books, the ones that are in a pile on the ground. But it is dangerous, once it did 100% stress damage causing my guy to be afflicted right from the get go. Naturally his stressing out made everyone else stress out too.

So far using medicinal herbs on alchemy tables has been a net loss action. The gold I got out of it was always less than the cost of the herbs themselves, so maybe this is something best done if you randomly find herbs. Even then I would save them for iron maidens etc.
I think it becomes net gain at higher dungeon levels. At L3 it's usually producing at least 1,5k per table, or so was my experience.

What does burning books do?

Tommers

Augur
I think it becomes net gain at higher dungeon levels. At L3 it's usually producing at least 1,5k per table, or so was my experience.

What does burning books do?
I torched some books and my occultist was consumed by guilt. Took about 40 odd stress damage.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Heroes seem to get morale penalties too often from what I am seeing, while the moral boosts seem to be much smaller on value. How does the game deal with this imbalance seeing as morale boosting upgrades in the village are probably expensive and time consuming?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Heroes seem to get morale penalties too often from what I am seeing, while the moral boosts seem to be much smaller on value. How does the game deal with this imbalance seeing as morale boosting upgrades in the village are probably expensive and time consuming?
It is supposed to make you field more groups of heroes than just the one glorious A Team.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
It is supposed to make you field more groups of heroes than just the one glorious A Team.
Does that imply repeating lower level dungeons to level up your other teams? Because they will be underdeveloped to continue with the main team progress

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Does that imply repeating lower level dungeons to level up your other teams? Because they will be underdeveloped to continue with the main team progress

It looks like you could eventually recruit new heroes at a higher level. In the early game, you're definitely supposed to do a lot of grinding though.

da_rays

Augur

That's what I did. While my crusader was getting maul for *insert various deity* and my highwayman was letting off some steam at the brothel , My cleric and plague doctor took the newb Jester n' Cleric number 2 for a stroll in the Scouting dungeon. Neat xp and good way to grind some stuff, ever more if you bring holy water and skeletons keys.

Just a shame that only Cleric number 2 came back half dead and traumatised for life. And she's already listed on expedition number 3 with a soul broken crusader , gambling joint banned abusive highwayman.
what could go wrong? Yeaaah....easily 20 things.

that said, having a lot of fun :D

Kem0sabe

Arcane
That's what I did. While my crusader was getting maul for *insert various deity* and my highwayman was letting off some steam at the brothel , My cleric and plague doctor took the newb Jester n' Cleric number 2 for a stroll in the Scouting dungeon. Neat xp and good way to grind some stuff, ever more if you bring holy water and skeletons keys.

Just a shame that only Cleric number 2 came back half dead and traumatised for life. And she's already listed on expedition number 3 with a soul broken crusader , gambling joint banned abusive highwayman.
what could go wrong? Yeaaah....easily 20 things.

that said, having a lot of fun :D
Not sure I enjoy the idea of grinding the same dungeons and enemies just because of a game mechanic.

If the morale loss wasn't so pronounced or the morale gain was more balanced, it wouldn't make for just mindless grinding.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The game has only six or seven dungeons to fill 20+ hours of play time. Of course it's full of grinding.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not sure I enjoy the idea of grinding the same dungeons and enemies just because of a game mechanic.
If the morale loss wasn't so pronounced or the morale gain was more balanced, it wouldn't make for just mindless grinding.
Isn't the whole game pretty much grinding guys into dungeons? I haven't played it, but it seems like that's the point. :|

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Yeah, the main variety comes from regularly changing between tile sets (because missions in different dungeons randomly become available and unavailable) and being forced to rotate through characters.

da_rays

Augur
Don't say cleric, dude. Show some class.

*50 leash strikes later....*

I meant Vestal dead vestal. There was an incident...

other random stuff: the item that heal disease / poison ( dont remember the name ) can ''purify'' alchemist table, holy water can also purify confession booth for a whooping 30 stress relief. Also can be use on ash cauldron for ( sometime?) bunch of gems for extra dough. my starting gear is now 10 rations , 6-8 torchs , 2 holy water , 2 antidotes and 1 key.

After 4-5 weeks of ''being careful'' , realising its costly...and not always worth it

Virtous Leper saved the team ass's for a 2nd time~

Now to try various item on various thingy inside dungeon.....

Dyskolos

Cipher
I think this is the first time I genuinely regret not backing a game early - and that just because I'm lazy and never felt like walking over for my wallet whenever I remembered it. Guess I'll just resentfully make it to Tuesday.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Not currently, it's endless play. The release version will have a final mission, but I doubt they'll add a time limit.

Renegen

Arcane
Darkest Dungeon is #4 on Twitch right now with 25k viewers, wow it's nice to see how the game is getting so much free publicity through smart partnerships. This 1 week early access thing has been a huge success.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom