Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Dark Sun

It's narrative based in the sense that you play through a story or sequence of events created by the developers, as opposed to a sandbox experience such as Mount & Blade or Dwarf Fortress, where you can just set your own goals. Can you use the gameplay elements in Dark Sun to do things that the developers did not intend? No, so the onus is on the developers to provide you with a clear idea of what it is you should be doing.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Just finished the game.
Some thoughts:
Plot: I liked that even though the plot is basically "save the good guys", there's no ultimate finality to it and some stuff is left ambiguous. (On a side note, it's enjoyable how the game lets you continue after the "end" and get some of the quests done, as well as the praise/reactions from the villagers)
The battle against Draj's army is won, but Draj itself is not fully defeated. The sorcerer-king is not found (?). Who knows how the villages will fare now, in this wasted world?
The quests were more interesting and dark than I expected.
The Dagolar quest, especially the Goburnix part, where his zombie brother tries to embrace Dagolar one last time, had a surprising emotional impact.
The hive mind people were an interesting faction. That whole area had an Underdarky feel to it.
I liked that so many people were backstabbing bastards. "I'm actually a good guy that enjoys working with animals, so just let me lock you in this wyvern cage while I scout ahead"
Combat: played on "balanced" difficulty. The only two fights that I thought were hard were
Dagolar and the final fight
The game definitely doesn't suffer from overabundance of content, but some parts turned out deeper than I expected from such an old RPG. Overall I'm glad I played it.

Open this spoiler at your own risk:
Are you sure you wanna see it?
You've been warned...
dosbox_2018_07_14_01_54_44_49.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom