Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Awful, unregistered (for now) Filmora video of my first pyro pvp being uploaded. Might make some actual quality ones when I have more desire to edit than play the game.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Fashion souls time!

CMcnseK.png

Dancer Armor, Silver Knight Gauntlets, Lothric Knight's Leggings and the Ragged Mask. Carthus Curved Sword + Grass Crest Shield.

EDIT: Hood of prayer variant:

yHXSEdu.png

Last edited:

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
http://www.christiantoday.com/artic....software.announces.three.new.games/88486.htm
Although the season pass for "Dark Souls 3" is currently available, there are no specific release dates yet for the two DLC packs. As stated by the Day Herald, the first DLC is expected this fall while the second follows in early 2017. However, during this year's E3 the company did confirm that the DLC packs will be the last "Dark Souls 3" entry as they are developing three new games.

All three games are not related to "Dark Souls" by any means. From Software's Hidetaka Miyazaki stated that the developers do not want to be identified solely for "Dark Souls" and will not be working on further sequels or spin-offs for the time being as they focus on other projects.

Miyazaki did explain that they may always return to the "Dark Souls" series in the future and that one of the new games they are working on right now will still have a dark fantasy vibe to it. As stated in a report from Push Square, it indicates that they may be working on a successor to "Bloodborne."

The second game is speculated to be a new entry or a possible reboot in the "Armored Core" franchise. Miyazaki explained that they were always going to go back to the series as it was one of the games that started his career as a game developer.

It is further stated that third title they are currently working on is something unique and Miyazaki himself refers to it as an odd game, likely as a comparison to the dark nature of their most recent endeavors. With this in mind many fans have speculated that the third title may be a colorful platformer or a VR-related video game.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I'm honestly not buying their next "Souls-like", at least not at launch, if it's more of BB/DS3 shallow actiony combat in boring corridors. Either go back to a more interconnected world with more varied level design and slow combat, or create a completely different combat system if you want it to be fast and twitchy. My expectations are pretty low all in all.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I dislike the fact that From listened to the butthurt haters of DaS2 and decided to throw EVERYTHING that game did out the window. No power stance, weapon buffs are back to being mediocre, magic is back to being terrible/situational at best in PvP and nerfs everywhere. I miss crazy and fun stuff like the Blue Flame and the Whip sword. DaS2 made magic PvP viable, and the whiners WHINED until From made it crap again. Weapon arts are a cool idea and all, but it doesn't make up for all the missing stuff. And the fact that the starting classes all suck compared to the knight AND the fact that poise is broken...eh...

DaS3 is a good game, but it could've been so much more...

What do you think about 2 DLC's? What timeline and areas do you think should cover ? Which story? After the ending or before?

I hope they expand on the Profaned Capital. Right now it's a small and pointless place, not a "capital" by any stretch of the imagination.

And I doubt they will release another area as cool as the Boreal Valley. Amazing place!

Perkel

Arcane
What do you think about 2 DLC's? What timeline and areas do you think should cover ? Which story? After the ending or before?

Hopefully they will be expansions to world in DS3 instead of separate places like DS2 and DS1 dlc.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Hopefully they will be expansions to world in DS3 instead of separate places like DS2 and DS1 dlc.

From seems to be hell-bent on insisting that all their DLC should be separated from the main world of their game and make it feel disjointed. They did it with DaS1, 2 and Bloodborne. It'll happen with DaS3 as well.

DramaticPopcorn

I'm honestly not buying their next "Souls-like", at least not at launch, if it's more of BB/DS3 shallow actiony combat in boring corridors. Either go back to a more interconnected world with more varied level design and slow combat, or create a completely different combat system if you want it to be fast and twitchy. My expectations are pretty low all in all.
DS3 was a themepark as it is, if anything, there should be less variety as far as areas go but more of an actual consistency throughout.

As far as interconnectivity goes, it's really top notch in DS3 on the area level, but there is almost none between areas, gotta agree with you on that.

More actiony combat I didn't mind, although heavy weapons felt even more weightless and impactless than in DS2 :M

Grimlorn

Arcane
Hope they do some sort of first person dungeon crawler/rpg type game. They can focus on melee and magic combat and make it much better than the King's field series and definitely better than the Elder Scroll games where you just spam the left mouse button. Just make it so you can block parry and do different melee combos and add some decent magic for once. They had more unique damage dealing spells in King's Field 2/3 than in the Souls games.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
DS3 was a themepark as it is, if anything, there should be less variety as far as areas go but more of an actual consistency throughout.

As far as interconnectivity goes, it's really top notch in DS3 on the area level, but there is almost none between areas, gotta agree with you on that.

More actiony combat I didn't mind, although heavy weapons felt even more weightless and impactless than in DS2 :M

I don't want more aesthetic variety in levels, but more gameplay variety - more of a dungeon crawler level design philosophy, where enemies are just one of many hazards present in an area. Or, if not that, at least some different layouts than the usual vertical loops with small side paths, which covers the majority of DS3 levels, to the point where they start feeling repetitive in spite of being very well made overall. More unique areas, like 3-2 in DeS, more pronounced verticality like in Brume Tower, or traditional horizontal sprawliness ala Eleum Loyce.

Also, the problem isn't that the combat is actiony, but rather that it's shallow. It worked better in previous games in the series because more strict stamina management and longer animations added some short-term tactical decision-making to the simplistic actiony core; also, those games were more on the action-adventure side in that they didn't focus on combat so intensely.

Incidentally, I haven't played the Nioh alpha, but from what I've seen and read, that actually seems like what should be the result of someone taking core Souls combat ideas and building a real combat system around them.

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
Disclaimer: I play with a 2-hand katana wielder in heavy armor, so being able to dodge effectively (in terms of gameplay) is important. Shieldfags and sorcerers may tell different stories. Also, no summons whatsoever. So, now that this got out of the way...

By far the worst Souls game.

The decision to make the game more "fast-paced and action-ish" simply has turned most enemies into rabid flailing mobs with minimum tells. Great tactical choices involve being mauled to death by greatsword midgets hitting you 7 consecutive times while desperately mashing the roll buttons to no avail, effectively turning combat into a quicktime event where you press buttons like an idiot to escape situations like the above.

Granted, graphics are kewl and ermagherd and stuff, but let's discuss location variety:
  • You start in a generic wilderness. Then you go in a castle area. Then you go in another castle area, but that one has plumbing and maintenance issues.
  • Then you visit the bastard child of lost Izalith and Unoriginality. What, did Miyazaki bring Molyneaux on board?
  • Then More castles, cathedrals and forts! Also, Anor Londo! Nostalgia!
  • Then...well, you guessed it. Another castle. This game should be renamed into Castle Souls 3 or Dark Castle 3.
  • Lastly, reused enemies who, for some reason, are way stronger and yield more souls. Maybe they leveled up while you weren't looking.

So right now I'm in some garden (obviously belonging to the castle). I enter the fog gate. Then some furry starts talking. Eh well, sometimes bosses talk, right?

Then it continues talking while we fight. What the fuck is this? Metal Gear??

Also not being able to upgrade armors doesn't sit well in me. I understand that this is a dangerous path to number-crunching meta nitpicking, but in previous games you had the ability (illusion?) to make your armor just a liiittle better with each upgrade.

And about weapon farts...errr...arts, if I wanted super speshul moves ignoring every established gameplay element in the souls series so far, I'd play Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 or whatever. So you press a button and you go all Dovahkin with your club, instantly reducing incoming damage by whatever%. Seriously, From? Also, let's forget skill and use the sword-ex-machina to deal 5,500 points of damage to a boss!

I never played Demon's Souls, but Dark Souls I takes the cake for me. It had diverse locations, punishing but fair combat, the Poise mechanic had some meaning and every enemy had some tactical approach not involving rolling like a fucktard wating for their 10-hit combo to finish.

What set the Souls series apart from some other "difficult" games was that nine times out of ten, when you died, you blamed yourself. "Why didn't I run away? The boss was charging their laz0rz!" "I got greedy with this one, should have dodged after the 2nd hit instead of going for a 3rd"
In Dark Souls 3: Mimic chest. Mimic chest. Mimic chest. Mimic chest. Mimic chest. Mimic chest. Mimic chest. Mimic chest. Mimic chest. Mimic chest. Mimic chest.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Did anyone with even half a brain seriously get spooked by a mimic more than once? If you know they can exist you just poke every chest once as a test.

Also, someone already beat the game at SL1 without rolling. So your bitching about needing to roll spam is just your own lack of skill.

The poise thing I'll give you. No idea how the fuck that got through testing, dumbest move they've made in the whole series.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom