Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

typical user

Arbiter
So, I'm starting to get the timings down on the new Dark Souls and thus I'm progressing much faster now. The Dancer completely and utterly raped me but OTOH I beat Oceiros on my first try! :P

Here is what my guy looks like (I'm at the entrance to the Grand Archives):

Wp58um8.png

I love the look of the Silver Knight Armor. Herald's helm for fashion Souls purposes.

qfZZHbu.png

I'm still Dex-LKS based. Very effective build, IMO.

xk4QSVh.png

I'm still enjoying the game. And I think the level design is pretty awesome!

I have similar build stat-wise. You should get Chaos Blade as it has S scaling on DEX. That is if you like fighting with katanas.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
How strange that so many people report having a lot of trouble with the Dancer and I beat her on the 2nd try. Sulyvahn was very easily the worst for me, since I played two handed without shield and I can't parry for shit. Gundyr #2 was pretty hardcore also. This is why I love these games, it really depends on how you built your character and your playstyle.

Dancer is weird boss.

Many people say that first time they fight her she doesn't do much. Thus ton of people getting her at first time.
Then you can get on her mean as fuck side where she is fucking agressive as fuck

On my 1st try was just one hit away from defeating her.
Then 10 times later i did her and those 10 times she was a mean bitch.

The Dancer is a patience test.

1st phase is really nice. You can roll through all her attacks and actually punish her for each missed one. By having low aggression she is baiting the player in attacking her which she will sometime punish.

2nd phase is a clusterfuck. Dodging her attacks is possible but unlikely: if you avoid the first sword then the other one will hit you. The winning victory is to bait her in doing combos and punish her when she is done. And basically run around when she is not doing a combo.

It's clear that the roles have reversed between phase 1 and phase 2. Personally I had a lot of troubles with the Dancer because I played aggressively without a shield. The fight became tedious once I really understood the difference between phases.

So, for me it makes sense that many people have difficulties with her because they cannot adapt to the drastic differences between phases (probably because they didn't pay enough attention). Also many people are quite under-leveled when they start the fight.

In the end, I feel that there is something wrong with this kind of fights: instead of fighting the boss on "equal" foot or something like that, the fight is reduced to a stupid game of cat and mouse. And winning by attrition feels somewhat underwhelming.

This is not a complain; just my 2 cents.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Dancer is awesome. But too many is doing her too quickly. You need to look how awesome these flaming attacks are looking, it's beauty.

Second phase is easy, but I had strong problems with her grabbing attack in first phase. (BTW when you are doing mage, and you are underleveled and don't abuse rolling too much, it's very adrenaline fight, where you must use your environment, and have proper knowledge about her position.)

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So, I bought a legit copy and I'm enjoying PvP so far!! :)

Also, I think I found a PvE izy mode build. Raw Astora SS kicks ass. Combine that with some miracles, high endurance and 27 vit and I'm killing every boss on first try so far. I'm at the boreal valley atm.

Urbanolo

Augur
So, I bought a legit copy and I'm enjoying PvP so far!! :)

Also, I think I found a PvE izy mode build. Raw Astora SS kicks ass. Combine that with some miracles, high endurance and 27 vit and I'm killing every boss on first try so far. I'm at the boreal valley atm.

All straightswords builds are the same in difficulty, raw or quality, doesn't matter. Probably the easiest PvE you can get is something like warden twinblades/carthus curved sword + carthus rouge.

Also 27 vit is too low if you're going with raw weaponry, and miracles are uber trash in PvP.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
The buffs work pretty nicely. And heals for PvE.

Also, when did everyone became a sniveling coward!? Holy shit, hosts won't fight with less than 3v1. My last invasion involved a host refusing to fight 2v1 against me. Wtf.

Also, everyone is in way of blue now? I liked it better when it was called "covenant of the meek".

Urbanolo

Augur
No power within?

And tears of denial is p.amazing

Tears of denial is literally countered by a single item, it really is crap since everyone wears a piece of the set of thorns. The power within is the only body buff that works and is still underwhelming (besides it's not even a miracle, so wtf).

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Nah, the point of tears is to just win a single extra trade in the end. In a fight that is over in 3 or 4 hits, taking an extra hit is huge. You can be down to your last 70 hp or so while they have 300 left, and if you both land a swing you'll win and stay alive. If you triggered tears and didn't keep swinging, you're doing it wrong.

43 pale tongues in about 50 invasions at archdragon peak start, mausoleum and a couple in the swamps. Good day.

Sunbros are actually worse than they were during launch. Get baited into soul spears all day and can't deal with farron hail at close quarters.

Moonlight greatsword weapon art (left trigger, not the right trigger ranged attack) also does shittons of damage. Sorcerers aren't unviable at all, you just need faith >50, two buff rings and that magic damage buff headress. Get 800-900 crystal soulspear damage and 400-500 with a good hit of Homing Crystal Soulmass. Soul Greatsword does 420 dmg usually. SL 87.

Pyro with 25 int/faith and a chaos uchigatana at SL 65-67 is also extremely viable. Chaos Bed Vestiges for medium range, free aim great chaos fireball, sometimes sacred flame and chaos fire storm (if you hit you get a great knockback, easy to set up a gcf hit after and get a kill). Hit one chaos bed vestige and then chase with uchigatana when the guy tries to heal. Killed 3 man ganks many times with this build.

Gonna try this faith build next.

08323bd0cb.jpg

Sellsword armor set cos it looks cool. Fuck armormaxxing with Fallen Knight/Wolf Armor low T faggotry. Priestess Ring is a maybe depending on whether I decide to hit SL 79 instead of 84 with 50 faith, else replaced by something else, def sage's ring if I'm doing bridge invasions with force/wrath of the gods.

Set up is Sunbro Oath with lightning astora straight sword, sunlight spear with infinite poise sunlight talisman, one heal spell perhaps. Anyone used lifehunter scythe with proper faith stat? Any good?

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Wait, what? There's armor minmaxing in DaS3? I saw a video explaining how def works and the bottom line was simply "don't leave any open slots, but other than that, armor doesn't differ much". Especially considering that poise is broken...

Wait, what? There's armor minmaxing in DaS3? I saw a video explaining how def works and the bottom line was simply "don't leave any open slots, but other than that, armor doesn't differ much". Especially considering that poise is broken...

Wolf Knight/Fallen Knight have very small equip load and offer very good protection in return. Basically Dark Sword/Bestoc in armor format but not as extreme.

Also, anyone telling you that sub 80SL pontiff sulyvahn invasions are the shit is a piece of shit. 8 out of 10 are fags who have dark sword/bestoc/2-3 man ganks in an open area. Only faced a couple of dudes with nice builds, including one battlepriest with a lightning stake that he actually knew how to use. Also a real bro, cut off the fight when Aldritch Faithful invaded, resumed after I wrecked the fag and we both healed.

Invade after Dancer/Archives/Dragonpeak at SL 80-100 to face actual builds or before Sulyvahn at lower levels.

sullynathan

Arcane
Nah, weak armor will get you easily killed

Armor grants some insane damage resistance. Depending on enemy armor I can deal 400 to 700 dmg in pvp with great chaos orb with 25 faith and int. That's basically the difference between getting 40%, 70% or even 100% of your hp with one spell.

Speaking of which, I am getting much better at free aiming it with practice. Just need to get the y axis aiming down and I'm set. Went from 50% winrate to 3/4ths of matches won. Disrespecting bestoc/scrubsword users with flame surge erryday

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Tips on more fun weapons for pvp? I find katanas to be boring. Straight swords too. I'm loving my CCS, but I want more options. Anyone has experience with Farron Sword/dagger? Viable?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom