Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DA2: Shit just got real.

Nomnoming through a smoked meat poutine right abou
sgc_meltdown said:
[size=134]Longwinded & Pretty[/size] said:
two sentence post

Your username is fast becoming a lie. I will now require pictures of yourself, preferably washed and groomed.

True enough. Though I would normally go back and link some of my previous posts here, I figure there's only so many words that can be used to describe the ... umm, whatever it is that this particular combo of game and developer/publisher would be, especially since I don't feel like flaunting the pretense of having an English degree.

Really, you can only extend 'Vat iz zis shit?' so much...

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Longwinded & Pretty said:
Really, you can only extend 'Vat iz zis shit?' so much...

perhaps sir would deign to scribe some quick disparaging poetry in iambic pentameter

Cynic

Arcane
In other news read this little blurb of awesomeness dropped by the composer for the DA games. Taken from here: http://au.music.ign.com/articles/115/1154594p1.html

Sure thing. I'm actually really anxious for the game right now, so I can pop it in and start playing. I'm really looking forward to see it. I know there are a few bugs that still need to be fixed. Unlike other titles from Bioware, this [score] was kind of a rush job. EA really wanted to capitalize on the success of Origins, so the game was really being pushed hard to be released now

So hilarious, they added this later probably after EA sent some OGs over to Zur's crib

[Editor's note: Zur is speaking about bugs in the score only; he had no involvement with the rest of the game's development.]

BUGS IN THE SCORE?!?!!?!? WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?! So what...WOAH THAT STRING IS OUT OF PLACE, ITS A BUG!!!

NEED MORE TENSION HERE, WAIT DIDN'T I SEQUENCE THAT IN!? MUST BE A BUG!

Fucking hell EA, you're not even trying. Fuck.

I find it hilarious the shitstorm that this game has created for them. I would almost feel sorry for them, IF their customers hadn't been screaming at them that this was not the game they wanted.

They were warned. Now they reap what they sow. Fucking BiowEAr.

Lol Bioware

double-facepalm.jpg

MajorNova

Novice
Can they even do this legaly? I mean if the guy paid for something they cant just fail to deliver cause of butthurt. Would love if Bioware gets analraped by some consumer protection law or someshit.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
MajorNova said:
Can they even do this legaly? I mean if the guy paid for something they cant just fail to deliver cause of butthurt. Would love if Bioware gets analraped by some consumer protection law or someshit.

I wondered about that too. I can't imagine that they can legally prevent him from playing the product he paid for because he wrote something they don't like. No way they could pull this shit under german law. And if I buy a german copy on the german Amazon site the german law applies. But hey, maybe such *conditions* are normal for the kwa.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Why so surprised? Alongside fucking over their customers, EA has a history of destroying ip's and studios as long as the dead sea scrolls. Just another sign that Bioware is nothing more than just another EA subdivision destined to go the way of all promising studios that sold out to them. Remember what happened with Origin, Westwood and Bullfrog? Seeing shit like this is feeling like I'm in groundhog day.

waywardOne

Arcane
bioware's best work was already long behind them when EA acquired them. let's end this charade of it being anyone other than bioware's fault that they suck. we should be thanking EA for expediting bw's demise.

Nomnoming through a smoked meat poutine right abou
MajorNova said:

Well that's the amazing shit about buying licenses rather than an actual physical product, you're kind of bounding yourself to that End User Licensing Agreement that no one ever reads, which in in case probably includes a specific mention of requiring an active EA account to activate the game (one that the person affected technically didn't have at the moment in question). Fack, I'm sure if consumer protection applied to software and media products as they would everything else, you'd be allowed to return the damned thing and get your money back if you think it's absolute merde. Really, read one of those if you haven't already, as they are an interesting read for sure.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
waywardOne said:
bioware's best work was already long behind them when EA acquired them. let's end this charade of it being anyone other than bioware's fault that they suck. we should be thanking EA for expediting bw's demise.
:salute:

MajorNova said:

Unfortunately I'm a lawyer (although don't specialize in IP). The first question is what country he's in. On the whole, one small problem is that technically he CAN play by signing up to a new EA account. The other small problem is that while contracts restricting constitutional rights (in this case free speech) are void, there are limits. NDAs are fine in many places, for example. But it could be an interesting test case, nonetheless, if only to make Biowhore squirm in bad publicity.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Here's how it is in Germany. If I bought something over the internet - like software from the EA store or Amazon - I can send it back and get my money back within 2 weeks after receival without even bothering to come up with reasons. Within 2 weeks I can demand my money back no matter what. If on the other hand the products lacks a promised feature (like actually being able to play the damn game) I can demand my money back even after a longer period of time. That they say you need to have an EA account would not be an issue but that they're denying you said account because you said something they don't like - no way they could come up with this bullshit here. If having an account is required to play the game and they took your money for the game they automatically lose the right to deny you an account. Someone should sue those fucktards.

Gord

Arcane
Does this apply to purely digital distribution platforms that only result in a download without any physical exchange of wares?

Even if it does (I hope so), will they care about german law in that case? EA is an american company, as is Steam, e.g.
If they just tell me to fuck off, I can probably do nothing about it.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Vaarna_Aarne said:
waywardOne said:
:salute:

Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age: Origins were all fun games to play. The difference in quality from these to Dragon Age 2 is rather staggering. It has EA written all over it.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Consumer protection laws in civilized countries have clauses like the ones following (these quotes are from the Alberta law):
Any waiver or release by a person of the person’s rights,
benefits or protections under this Act or the regulations is void.

If a consumer and a supplier enter into a consumer transaction,
or an individual enters into a contract with a licensee and the
licensee agrees to supply something to the individual in the normal
course of the licensee’s business, and
(a) all or any part of the transaction or contract is evidenced
by a document provided by the supplier or licensee, and
(b) a provision of the document is ambiguous,
the provision must be interpreted against the supplier or licensee, as
the case may be.

EULA won't help EA if the lawsuit takes place.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Here's how it is in Germany.
Germany is very progressive.

Except for when it comes to toilets.
germantoilet.jpg

Your toilets are like BioWarEA, shit piling up on a shelf, RYTE? LÖOL

And the shit just keeps coming - they OUTRIGHT LIED about the DRM. They said no SecuROM on their site, confirmed in 2 posts on the social, and guess what....

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Well, I guess EA goes back on my black list. I liked Dead Space but not enough to deal with the shitty company.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Gord said:
Does this apply to purely digital distribution platforms that only result in a download without any physical exchange of wares?

Even if it does (I hope so), will they care about german law in that case? EA is an american company, as is Steam, e.g.
If they just tell me to fuck off, I can probably do nothing about it.
It depends. For my purchase german law is valid, american company or not. It's the german version of the game, sold via a german site (Amazon.de or even EA store is localized to german too) so german law applies. If you've bought the game via their american site most likely american law applies. I don't know how the rules are in the US but I can't imagine that this bullshit would survive a court case.

I mean seriously, you buy a package. Part of the deal are certain DLC (like the black emporium for Da2) or something. Those are promised features. It was all part of the package you paid for. You buy DLC on top of that. Everything is linked to your specific EA account and one day they say: trolololo we ban your account cuz you said somethin' wrong, thanks for your money though! And you lose the usage rights to all those DLC crap or whatever was linked to your account? Sorry, but that can't possibly be legal.

Longwinded & Pretty said:
MajorNova said:

Well that's the amazing shit about buying licenses rather than an actual physical product, you're kind of bounding yourself to that End User Licensing Agreement that no one ever reads, which in in case probably includes a specific mention of requiring an active EA account to activate the game (one that the person affected technically didn't have at the moment in question). Fack, I'm sure if consumer protection applied to software and media products as they would everything else, you'd be allowed to return the damned thing and get your money back if you think it's absolute merde. Really, read one of those if you haven't already, as they are an interesting read for sure.

I remember reading about how the more absurd parts of an EULA can not be enforced if it's determined they are not reasonable.

http://superuser.com/questions/30940/is ... nforceable

Then again, going into the official forum and saying they sold their souls to the devil probably could count as slander, or something.

For VoD:

EULAs are not per se invalid in Germany.

however, a German court held that they are ONLY THEN legally binding if they have been agreed to prior to the purchase. the folks at PearC, the company selling Mac clones in Germany are founding their claims of legality on this 'loophole'.

No contract, EULA or other, can override basic provisions of consumer protection laws, let alone a country's constitutions (free speech).

That said, EA would probably silence you with a threat to counter-sue for slander.

EDIT- I just saw this guy made the remark on the BioWare forum, which probably makes you waive all your rights to free speech and not being raped when you sign on. Just registering now to see what exactly is in there.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Clockwork Knight said:
For VoD:

EULAs are not per se invalid in Germany.

however, a German court held that they are ONLY THEN legally binding if they have been agreed to prior to the purchase. the folks at PearC, the company selling Mac clones in Germany are founding their claims of legality on this 'loophole'.

Which would make the matter immediately clear, since you don't usually agree to the EULA prior to purchase but while installing the game. It doesn't matter in this case anyway, since even if you had agreed to this bullshit prior to purchase it would be dismissed as unfair and a violation of the contract anyway. They can't take away your rights to use their software, rights they sold to you, just because they don't like what you said on their forums. It's absurd.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom