Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DA2 Demo

Antihero

Liturgist
Never too late to wipe that stain from our honour. Our other honour, too, time permitting.

Who am I kidding. As a 2010 newfag I have no honour. Well, time to go out like that goblin in Choice of the Dragon.

Joghurt

Augur
Tried it. I know it's just a tutorial level, but fuuuck me - it was like a Medieval Call Of Duty game - fight -> cutscene ->fight -> cutscene -> fight -> cutscene

easychord

Liturgist
3/4 Escapist forum users think that the combat is an improvement.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/ ... mpressions

So I'll have to say that yes, the new combat mechanic is a good thing. Just because more options for how you can choose to play is never bad.

I dislike Bioware and what they do...but I was actually entertained by the combat. Granted, I haven't tried most of the attacks and feats, but I did like what I've seen. I hope that the story will be as good too.

honestly i find the style pretty awesome

I loved the demo, to be honest. Combat actually feels interesting and I felt a lot more involved. A bit repetitive to spam the same button, sure, but everything felt so much more dynamic that I really didn't mind it too much.

I totally loved it, but, then again, I did love ME2 more than ME1, so I'm all for dumbing down, you could say.

Good job Bioware, the target market is happy.

baronjohn

Cipher
DA2 is the worst game ever. It's so bad

I've already finished the demo 11 times :smug:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
baronjohn said:
DA2 is the worst game ever. It's so bad

I've already finished the demo 11 times :smug:

So you like it anyway?

(I'm downloading it again because previous attempts failed due to server overloads)

torpid

Liturgist
The demo thread alone has 10 pages -- a harbinger of what is to come. Oh Codex, why must you do this to me?

Black said:
And "we" claimed it was RPG of 2009.
Humility is in order.

The infamy :x

"There's more of them!"

If I never hear that again in my life, it will be too soon. I quit right after the sister bites it. Uninstall.

How could anyone consider that mess an improvement?

easychord

Liturgist
Opinion is mixed on Neogaf but here are few things from their thread that may or may not be entertaining.

It's good that game aimed at console audience receives praise from that audience. At least it shows that Bioware are still professionals in what they do.
yeah, kids loved jar jar binks.

I don't want to call this consolized bullshit but I'm really not sure what else to call it.

vzzwqn7a7.jpg

Bad textures, but the original game was full of them too. Frankly the original was an awful looking game as well. Art design is the main issue with the game to me as the graphics personally seem fine in general and much better animated, just everything is badly designed now.

I only played the first ten minutes or so of the 360 version of the demo, before wanting to cry myself to sleep.

7gIlO.jpg

"Hi, I'm a religious fanatic and I want to murder your sister"

* Well buddy come on and travel with us !
* That's weird. Come travel with us.
* Damn you! You'd better stay in my sight at all times when you come travel with us!

C H O I C E & C O N S E Q U E N C E S

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I summon Racofer to make a new emoticon out of this:

vzzwqn7a7.jpg

It could be used instead of " :retarded: "

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Finally played this.

Not that bad. But not that good, either.

Combat. I sort of liked the combat in DA:O, even bothered to learn all the quirks of the system and could breeze through the whole game on Nightmare without potions and a Spirit Healer. But you have to admit that DA:O's combat was very flawed and mostly centered around mages. In DA2 the animations are much faster than before, so it's a bit more chaotic, but I suppose you get used to it. What's more important, however, is that the combat is much less boring than in DA:O. In DA:O I was always controlling the mage and my warriors and rogues were pretty much auto-attack bots. I would switch to a warrior to use Taunt now and then, but usually the AI handled it fine by itself. Similarly, once your rogues get that skill that lets them auto-backstab stunned/freezed enemies, their positioning becomes irrelevant. This has changed completely. The warriors and rogues are now actually fun to control. Anyway, the combat is rather simplistic and not tactical by any means, don't get your hopes up, if you want a challenging RPG. It's just now very fast and flashy, so you don't get bored by clicking on the numerous trash mobs. That's my impression, anyway, lots of features (including the difficulty settings) are disabled in the demo, and there's not much variety in enemies.

Graphics. Noticeably better than DA:O's, especially the facial animation and lighting, but nowhere near as good as ME2. Obviously old tech by today's standards, but I could care less, since it runs at 60fps with AA on medium on my not-so-new laptop. Don't like how they redesigned the darkspawn, though, hopefully there will be a mod to put the original ones back in.

Writing. Cheesy to tolerable. There are two forced deaths very early in the game, and they're both cringe-worthy. "He died a hero". "Be strong, my love". Why should we care for those people? Why do they die in like 10 seconds and their deaths are completely forgotten a few minutes later? Awful exposition.

Sound. Music is rubbish, completely forgettable. VA is tolerable to decent. What's annoying, however, are those constant loading interrupts during cutscenes when a character is about to say something. Does this have something to do with the compression method used in the demo? If the full game is like this, then I can't imagine how annoying it will be.

Dialog system. Exactly the same as ME's. The top option is Good, the bottom one is Evil, the middle one is Sarcastic. The 4th option is Investigate. They're now all color coded for retards.

Konjad

Patron
I just finished the demo... holy shit!

First of all the combat is just plainly boring. I knew it won't be anything that requires thinking but this one is even more boring than in DAO. Dialogues are horrible. Worse than in DAO. Music is shit, graphic is just laughable. There is no singe pro of that game. It's just shit. Good thing they put up a demo because now I know to not bother with DA2. I mean DAO was semi-good. It had filler combat, it had overdone violence, it had many other drawbacks... but at least dialogues were okay and there were some choices with some consequences from time to time. The game was rather good until Deep Roads. But DA2? Now, THIS IS SHIT.

I'll just won't bother with writing more about it in details... it's not worth it.

Angthoron

Arcane
Why don't we replace all Codex emoticons with screenshots from Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect to show just how much against these games the Codex is?

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Angthoron said:
Why don't we replace all Codex emoticons with screenshots from Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect to show just how much against these games the Codex is?

Also, the mods could rename every user to the games' characters.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Drog Black Tooth said:
Finally played this.

Not that bad. But not that good, either.

Combat. I sort of liked the combat in DA:O, even bothered to learn all the quirks of the system and could breeze through the whole game on Nightmare without potions and a Spirit Healer. But you have to admit that DA:O's combat was very flawed and mostly centered around mages. In DA2 the animations are much faster than before, so it's a bit more chaotic, but I suppose you get used to it. What's more important, however, is that the combat is much less boring than in DA:O. In DA:O I was always controlling the mage and my warriors and rogues were pretty much auto-attack bots. I would switch to a warrior to use Taunt now and then, but usually the AI handled it fine by itself. Similarly, once your rogues get that skill that lets them auto-backstab stunned/freezed enemies, their positioning becomes irrelevant. This has changed completely. The warriors and rogues are now actually fun to control. Anyway, the combat is rather simplistic and not tactical by any means, don't get your hopes up, if you want a challenging RPG. It's just now very fast and flashy, so you don't get bored by clicking on the numerous trash mobs. That's my impression, anyway, lots of features (including the difficulty settings) are disabled in the demo, and there's not much variety in enemies.

Graphics. Noticeably better than DA:O's, especially the facial animation and lighting, but nowhere near as good as ME2. Obviously old tech by today's standards, but I could care less, since it runs at 60fps with AA on medium on my not-so-new laptop. Don't like how they redesigned the darkspawn, though, hopefully there will be a mod to put the original ones back in.

Writing. Cheesy to tolerable. There are two forced deaths very early in the game, and they're both cringe-worthy. "He died a hero". "Be strong, my love". Why should we care for those people? Why do they die in like 10 seconds and their deaths are completely forgotten a few minutes later? Awful exposition.

Sound. Music is rubbish, completely forgettable. VA is tolerable to decent. What's annoying, however, are those constant loading interrupts during cutscenes when a character is about to say something. Does this have something to do with the compression method used in the demo? If the full game is like this, then I can't imagine how annoying it will be.

Dialog system. Exactly the same as ME's. The top option is Good, the bottom one is Evil, the middle one is Sarcastic. The 4th option is Investigate. They're now all color coded for retards.

'sup Drog

Seolas

Liturgist
Finished the demo also. It is just a hack 'n' slash fest with trash mob after trash mob and little else. Easy combat besides the second ogre which was a slight challenge.

Combat: 3/10
Story: 1/10 (though to be fair it was all out of context of the full story)
Graphics: -1/10 (staggeringly awful for 2011, almost mind-bogglingly so)
UI: 2/10
Voice acting: 6/10 (a bit stiff as usual but not too bad)
Dialogue choices: 3/10

Overall: 3/10

I liked DA:O but this demo makes the sequel seem inferior in every conceivable way. Having been stupid enough to pre-order it I will see it through and hope the full game is better.

One other thing, did anyone else find Hawke just... stopped attacking enemies randomly? And when I was attacking a selected enemy and chose a special ability, it made me select a target again most of the time rather than automatically go for the one I'd be fighting already.

JasonNH

Augur
Seolas said:
I liked DA:O but this demo makes the sequel seem inferior in every conceivable way. Having been stupid enough to pre-order it I will see it through and hope the full game is better.

The stupidity is in not canceling your pre-order. So now you're going to reward Bioware for cobbling together this piece of crap? *facepalm*

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Congrats to Bioware for they can turn a legend game into a brainless console game with no need of tactic and with the difficulty of "walking in the park".

Complete bull****. This is not DA2, this is wonders of Thedas.

From http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic ... 31#6169524

Wow. This has actually surprised me, coming from that forum. Of course I have to ignore how he considers DA:O a "legendary game" with allegations of tactics and difficulty involved. But still...

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Jools said:
Congrats to Bioware for they can turn a legend game into a brainless console game with no need of tactic and with the difficulty of "walking in the park".

Complete bull****. This is not DA2, this is wonders of Thedas.

From http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic ... 31#6169524

Wow. This has actually surprised me, coming from that forum. Of course I have to ignore how he considers DA:O a "legendary game" with allegations of tactics and difficulty involved. But still...
Doesn't surprise me at all, there's always been people bashing DA2 streamlining and praising DA:O as if it's the best RPG EVAR on the bio forums.

Yeah, there is a pretty large group dissatisfied with DA2 Demo, plus there are also CDProjekt fans there, successfuly trolling biotards.

But the amount of retards who reacted like: "MASHED A BUTTON FOR THE WIN!! BEST GAEM EVAR!! GET OUT OF HERE GRANDPAS!!" is still huge.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I liked the demo (then again I am a HUGE mass effect fan), the only complaint I had was potions had a cool down that kept killing my characters. I hope they fix that, otherwise Heal needs a cool down time of 5 seconds.
I wonder how this guy managed to get his characters killed? I hardly intervened at all and still didn't use a single potion, didn't even pick heal as a spell for the chick, and yet came nowhere near dying? It's a mystery.

VentilatorOfDoom said:
I liked the demo (then again I am a HUGE mass effect fan), the only complaint I had was potions had a cool down that kept killing my characters. I hope they fix that, otherwise Heal needs a cool down time of 5 seconds.
I wonder how this guy managed to get his characters killed? I hardly intervened at all and still didn't use a single potion, didn't even pick heal as a spell for the chick, and yet came nowhere near dying? It's a mystery.
*shrug* Consoletards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom