Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

Don Peste

Arcane
I think tomorrow I'm playing Wizard's Challenge (1 on 1 module)...

17307.jpg

Alchemist

Arcane
Btw, where is that from? The Player's Handbook has been released leaked?
WotC is posting these on social media sites. I've seen them on the D&D Google+ and they're also probably on Facebook.

Here is the barbarian - posted on Dungeon Bastard's blog:
r5HYFdz.jpg

4iyhiHy.jpg

nikolokolus

Arcane
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not "feeling" this art aesthetic at all. The mechanics might be great (or not?) but meh.

Alchemist

Arcane
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not "feeling" this art aesthetic at all. The mechanics might be great (or not?) but meh.
I'm just happy they've moved away from the cartoony Wayne Reynolds / WoW-isms of 4E (mostly). But yeah, the art direction lacks a certain something - a cohesive vision maybe. They are using many different artists and the quality varies wildly. Some of the pieces I love, like this one:
BHkFo8g.jpg
But many of the others, not so much. There is a kind of a generic concept-art style in a lot of it.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Generic is an apt description. Oh well, not a deal breaker, but it kind of blunts the OCD collector urge inside me. I'm thinking I'm just as well off making a personal, print-on-demand copy of the Basic PDF with Lulu.com and skipping the "advanced" books.

Telengard

Arcane
Now, that's a barbarian. The 5e guy could be a barbarian, but he could also be your average village woodcutter down the street. Which is fine for filling out the NPC roster, but iffy for an illustration of the barbarian class.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Sadly Frank Frazetta is no longer with us. But you know who is still with us? Gerald Brom and Justin Sweet and it's not like WotC is hurting for cash and can't afford real artists.

001_PERSEUS.jpg

tumblr_lte3i849h61qmg4b2o1_1280.jpg

I'm not saying, but I'm just saying ...

J1M

Arcane
Interesting that their ultra-inclusive approach to this edition did not extend to evil paladins. I guess that will appear as a suppliment.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Interesting that their ultra-inclusive approach to this edition did not extend to evil paladins. I guess that will appear as a suppliment.

not before the supplement to include furr anthropomorphic races and their amazing racial abilities.

:incloosive:

catfood

AGAIN

not before the supplement to include furr anthropomorphic races and their amazing racial abilities.

:incloosive:
Too late. Dragonpeople are an official DND race starting with 4e and they're making a come back in 5e as well.

Ebonsword

Arcane
It is sad, because they had a great thing with 4e
:nocountryforshitposters:
There is nothing about 4e that isn't shit.

I think 4E would be more fondly remembered if they had released a turn-based CRPG using the rule set. It offered a lot of interesting tactical considerations in combat that were kind of a PITA to keep track of in a PnP session but would be awesome with a computer to handle it all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom