Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

m_s0

Arcane
Wayne Reynolds is like the Wolverine of the art world. He's the best there is at what he does. But what he does best isn't very nice.

:decline:
I was curious so I decided to look him up. I've managed to find his take on the barbarian:

Z4QTvod.jpg

All the pointy things, spikes and the axe are a rather nice touch. Those torso cuts are probably due to our fearless barbarian forgetting they're there. Same thing with the face. Looks totally hardcore AND it keeps the wearer vigilant so it has practical application. Clearly, this artist is a visionary and the right man for the job as opposed to, say, the worthless hack who drew shat out this:

tumblr_mig687hWSd1r2s3h9o1_500.jpg

How the hell do you go out to kill shit without your make up on? No self-respecting barbarian would ever allow that to happen. What if his bros see him like that? And who's he going to hurt with that tiny fucking sword, anyway? Not to mention that he can't even injure himself accidentally with his own armor. Pussy. :retarded: all the way.

Don Peste

Arcane
I'm playing Pathfinder for the first time in a event organised by the Pathfinder Society tomorrow. I can't stop thinking everything is going to be like a random WoW dungeon.
Translation: Please tell me I'm going to be fine.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I'm playing Pathfinder for the first time in a event organised by the Pathfinder Society tomorrow. I can't stop thinking everything is going to be like a random WoW dungeon.
As with any RPG, it's 90% about playing with the right people, system and setting are distant seconds.
Organized play tends to attract people who for some reason don't have a regular group of friends to play with, so caution is advised.

m_s0

Arcane
A couple of years ago I got desperate enough to play with a random group of people. Never again. I'd rather not play at all than play with complete strangers.

Kahlis

Cipher
A couple of years ago I got desperate enough to play with a random group of people. Never again. I'd rather not play at all than play with complete strangers.
Yeah, it's more worth your while to get friends who don't explicitly identify with playing D&D to play D&D. Properly adjusted human beings. My friend tried doing it the other way around once and half the people in his group showed up looking like this anyway:

stormfront-big.jpg

Kahlis

Cipher
Table of contents from the PHB. Gnomes and I wonder about the "inspirational reading" appendix:
773281.jpg

And the sorcerer:
773279.jpg

773283.jpg

Not really a fan of the artwork on this page. The shading is too smooth and makes me think it's a paintover of a 3D model. I like the more loose watercolor aesthetic we've seen on other pages.

Alchemist

Arcane
Hmm well the Pathfinder adventures are often pretty well designed, especially the adventure paths. I haven't played much of the Pathfinder Society modules though. I played a couple of them at a PaizoCon and it went well enough, though pretty lightweight on roleplay. Your main risk is the other players - because you never know what kind of people are going to show up. So in that way - yeah it's kinda like a WoW pickup group.

Meh, Pathfinder can be enjoyable. I like it more than most PnP games.
Can't wait for the Numeria AP honestly.
I'm really looking forward to the Numeria stuff too. I don't typically buy the APs but I'll probably buy that whole thing and all the supplemental books too, like the Technology Guide and campaign guide.

Alex

Arcane

I had pretty positive experiences whenever I played in conventions, which must have been 4 times in total. But still...

catfood

AGAIN
I like the background art so far. It's a huge improvement over the white background from 4e. Characters are still so-so, though, but at least they're miles better than Pathfinder's. Can't wait to see some monster art.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I hope this shit is good. I have bought all the books without even researching about it (didn't even read the thread lol), just to encourage an upgrade from 4ed.
From what I have read it is a desperate clusterfuck of rules attempting to woo the fans of all previous editions at once (THAC0 optional rules ahoy).

Kahlis

Cipher
Can't wait to see some monster art.
Have a couple from the Starter Set booklet. Hope Codex can protect me from Cowled Wizards legal team before they banish me to the elemental planes.
zfiv7jd.png

6nEet4A.png

Last edited:

Don Peste

Arcane
Hmm well the Pathfinder adventures are often pretty well designed, especially the adventure paths. I haven't played much of the Pathfinder Society modules though. I played a couple of them at a PaizoCon and it went well enough, though pretty lightweight on roleplay. Your main risk is the other players - because you never know what kind of people are going to show up. So in that way - yeah it's kinda like a WoW pickup group.
We played a couple of short modules. It wasn't a bad day, but I definitely like any retro-clone much better. As for the other players...
stormfront-big.jpg

BTW, maybe we should change the thread title a bit?

nikolokolus

Arcane
I can't wait to see what the creator of MC Killzalot thinks is inspirational.

Appendix N, in the original AD&D DMG opened up a whole new world of weird fiction for me that I never knew would have known existed as a teenager in the late eighties. As much as I appreciate Gygax for giving me D&D, I appreciate him more for the stories I was exposed to from the golden and silver age of sci-fi and fantasy. I'll be a little disappointed if Mearls doesn't give a nod to some of those old classics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom