Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Re-Announcement Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

attackfighter

Magister
Under a competent, native English speaking writer, this could be good. But Polacks just cannot into good writing. We already saw that in Witcher 2. Totally bland and soulless writing.

--------:rage:
1zdwt2d.png

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron

Hellraiser

Arcane
ACHTUNG KARTOFEL SPRECHEN:

Important bits for those of you that can't interpret the constant stream of "kurwa kurwa potato kurwa" into anything meaningful (or don't want to watch this):

- it's a continuation of Cyberpunk 2020 completely ignoring Cyberpunk 203X, which wasn't too popular with the old crowd of players, he asked if this ties into Mike Pondsmith's plans for the PnP in any way but got no answer (plans as in retconning 203X out of existence and publishing a new rulebook). They're going to use the 57 year jump to make it have more of a "20 minutes into the future" feel from our current perspective. They want to keep the "retro" feel of the original though.
- sandbox as in nothing limits your access to any areas (outside of a bunch of solos with smartguns eager to fill you full of lead I guess).
- they want to keep the feel of the PnP in aspects like "living on the edge".
- they're working on better "class balance" (although they neither confirmed nor denied if the player will pick one of the roles from Cyberpunk 2020), mentioned that one particular issue in a computer game adaptation was that Solos would just roflstomp shit in combat which wasn't that much of an issue in the PnP. Possibly a sign of focusing on Popamole Akshun. Surprisingly no direct mention of a FNFF implementation, although he did say that compared to other systems, Cyberpunk 2020 taught newcomers to be cautious and try to avoid going in all guns blazing at the first chance they get, as the only result of such a choice was a lot of work for the Trauma Team(tm).
- character customization in appearance and most likely skills, declined to answer whether you will be able to be a tranny female
- no mention of even a tentative release date or if Night City is the only place we'll see.

If they plan on going sandbox there better be no level scaling, last thing the game needs is a new character walking into a corporate office uninvited and taking out an army of corp Solos alone.

Too few details to decide how popamole it will be. Pondsmith helping with this and the devs being longtime fans and players of the system suggests :incline:, but this is CDP Red so it may turn out to be popamole rather than :obviously:.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Uh this is CDProjeckt we are talking about here. Not Troika. What are you expecting? :lol:
And thanks for the info!

I'm expecting Pondsmith will beat the shit out of them if they turn it into Cyborg Popamole 2077. The only reason I have even the slightest amount of hope that they won't is his work on the project and the devs being fans of the system. Otherwise I would outright label this as 100% popamole as, let's face, that's what every "AAA" dev would do with a project based on Cyberpunk 2020. Especially after Deus Ex: HR.

However I don't expect them to deliver anything of Troika-quality, too :obviously: for CDP Red.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Well I'm not holding my breath. Based on their 2 other games, and the fact they are a public company beholden to share holders (a focus entirely on profits! NOT niche good games) it's not going to happen. They are in the "make mass accessible games that appeal to a broad audience" and IMMERSIVE kind of developer. It will be dumbed down popamole cyberpunk, which is truly sad. I'd love to be proven wrong however.

pistletoe

Educated
Well I hope it's popamole...whatever that means. Turn based would be a joke with this kind of game. And boring.

Hellraiser

Arcane
They want to keep the "retro" feel of the original though.
:incline:

Depends really what they mean by the retro feel, as it stands the Cyberpunk 2020 rulebook was released back 1990 IIRC. It wasn't retro on purpose, it merely ended up that way as time and technology marched on (honestly, cassettes? Super expensive cellphones that can hold 20 songs?). My guess is, after what they themselves said, is that they'll update the in-universe tech to be more in line with what we expect of future tech (like the mentioned cellphone) while keeping the general 80s-style futuristic aesthetics.

Still wondering how they'll handle rockerboys, medias and cyberspace in general. Also Nomads and vehicles.

pistletoe

Educated
Hopefully they won't handle Rockerboys at all. the class seems silly. Making it feel retro but not 80's cheesy will be no easy task.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Hey, making an underground rock tour in the dark future is hard. You have megacorps who don't like your "anti-establishment" message, drug dealers who may want to kill you for not paying them enough, roaming gangs that may try to raid your tour bus. It can be done silly or it can be done believable, by default it is not a bad concept.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
They want to keep the "retro" feel of the original though.
:incline:

Depends really what they mean by the retro feel, as it stands the Cyberpunk 2020 rulebook was released back 1990 IIRC. It wasn't retro on purpose, it merely ended up that way as time and technology marched on (honestly, cassettes? Super expensive cellphones that can hold 20 songs?). My guess is, after what they themselves said, is that they'll update the in-universe tech to be more in line with what we expect of future tech (like the mentioned cellphone) while keeping the general 80s-style futuristic aesthetics.

Still wondering how they'll handle rockerboys, medias and cyberspace in general. Also Nomads and vehicles.
Yeah but the point is that whenever people update cyberpunk settings to be our vision of a cyberpunk future instead of the 80's vision of it, it loses all personality. So I hope they'll be able to keep the cyberpunk feel.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah but the point is that whenever people update cyberpunk settings to be our vision of a cyberpunk future instead of the 80's vision of it, it loses all personality. So I hope they'll be able to keep the cyberpunk feel.
That may very well be, put there is a certain line where adhering to the 80's aesthetics and technological limitation becomes too comical to work as a serious game anymore. But I have enjoyed the SR 4e tech updates, so you might want to take my opinion with the proverbial grain of salt.

pistletoe

Educated
In an interview with Will Wheaton, CDPR stated they'll be picking what they need from the PnP version and modernizing the aesthetic because going too retro would alienate modern gamers. I agree 100%. Then they turn around and say they're sticking closely to lore, not making any compromises. They tend to contradict themselves a lot so who knows what we'll get. The brief youtube teaser and concept art are distinctly 80's though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1D0yOEEhTI

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
That may very well be, put there is a certain line where adhering to the 80's aesthetics and technological limitation becomes too comical to work as a serious game anymore. But I have enjoyed the SR 4e tech updates, so you might want to take my opinion with the proverbial grain of salt.
And why in the world would anyone want a "serious game"? o_O

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom