Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cow Guru, I too have been banned.

Mangler

Novice
It is done.

The tool has been tested. It works.

Limitations: RAW TEXT ONLY.

I tried and tried for links that don't get mauled... no dice.
(they 'look' fine but they don't actually work... oh well)

PM me for the beta. I may or may not give you it. (I only want it to be used sparingly and for the greatest effect)

OH, only tested on Mozilla, Got IE, Opera, Safari, K-Melon? you're probably screwed. (well most likely IE is screwed, Opera might work OK)

Darkflame

Scholar
Well, here's the official word from HD on why RPGCodex is autocensored. Coincidentally, the thread was one of my trolls which backfired and grew to 200 posts. Ah well, I had some other great ones before antidream was suspended until 2238 AD...

Quoting HD:

The RPGCodex was censored for a variety of reasons, best dealt with through two other examples.

During Oblivion's developement whenever a site put up illegally required content we blocked any mention of the site (or links to it). We didn't go so far as to put them in the auto-censor, but we would edit posts and what not. The worst offender was probably IGN, who released a video to the public that they were explicitly told not to, and then later put up a video they knew had been pirated. Well, if I remember correctly RPGCodex put up some images or magazine scans they weren't supposed to have, and they kept them up after being told that they weren't supposed to have them.

Why did this result in being censored when other sites weren't? Well, sometimes things get censored not because they're inherintly problematic, but because people used to the point where they were problematic. The best example of this would be Yakov Smirnoff's "Russian Reversal" jokes: In the US, you check out books at the library. In Soviet Russia, library checks out you! (Which of course comes out very differently when you aren't 1337 liek HD)

Combine all of this with the fact that a fair number of trolling had originated from their forums and I think the reasoning is understandable, whether or not you agree with it.

DISCLAIMER

This is what I recall, it may not be correct and it certainly shouldn't be taken as an official explanation. Also, now that this has been posted let's drop the issue. If you want to continue this discussion feel free to PM me, but let's stop talking about it here.

Post 166:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... 858&st=160

Darkflame

Scholar
OccupatedVoid said:
Darkflame said:
Ahhhhh, I love the smell of Anti-Codex propaganda in the morning.

Regardless of whether or not what HD says is true, it hardly explains why any mention of RPGCodex is replaced with a euphemism for intellectual deficiency.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Briosafreak said:
Edit: Fallout will have katanas and Speedtree@ ruins!
That's always been the thing that worried me about Fallout 3 by Bethesda (well, apart from the 1st person view point and likely FPS combat given the number of guns in the setting, the lack of dialogue, the lack of any real meaningful choice and a bunch of other things), is that you'll be walking around the landscape and every 5 minutes a door will pop-up which you can hit spacebar on and descend into some ruins and fight rats. It's going to be Oblivion all over again.

Why did this result in being censored when other sites weren't? Well, sometimes things get censored not because they're inherintly problematic, but because people used to the point where they were problematic.
The RPGCodex: Censored because we were the best anti-Oblivion site on the interweb.

KreideBein

Scholar
Darkflame said:
Well, here's the official word from HD on why RPGCodex is autocensored. Coincidentally, the thread was one of my trolls which backfired and grew to 200 posts. Ah well, I had some other great ones before antidream was suspended until 2238 AD...

Quoting HD:

The RPGCodex was censored for a variety of reasons, best dealt with through two other examples.

During Oblivion's developement whenever a site put up illegally required content we blocked any mention of the site (or links to it). We didn't go so far as to put them in the auto-censor, but we would edit posts and what not. The worst offender was probably IGN, who released a video to the public that they were explicitly told not to, and then later put up a video they knew had been pirated. Well, if I remember correctly RPGCodex put up some images or magazine scans they weren't supposed to have, and they kept them up after being told that they weren't supposed to have them.

Why did this result in being censored when other sites weren't? Well, sometimes things get censored not because they're inherintly problematic, but because people used to the point where they were problematic. The best example of this would be Yakov Smirnoff's "Russian Reversal" jokes: In the US, you check out books at the library. In Soviet Russia, library checks out you! (Which of course comes out very differently when you aren't 1337 liek HD)

Combine all of this with the fact that a fair number of trolling had originated from their forums and I think the reasoning is understandable, whether or not you agree with it.

DISCLAIMER

This is what I recall, it may not be correct and it certainly shouldn't be taken as an official explanation. Also, now that this has been posted let's drop the issue. If you want to continue this discussion feel free to PM me, but let's stop talking about it here.

Post 166:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... 858&st=160

Bah, I see that no credit is given where credit is due. I mean, I almost singlehandedly get HD to say that, not to mention that I argued several of the mods there into a corner where they finally had to end the argument with a lame "U VIOLATED TEH FORUM ROOLZ!" comment.

Anyway, I intend to continue this line of inquiry, possibly going to the cursed admins themselves.

Back to arguing against Oblivion on the ESF now. I swear, half the people in Oblivion General are clueless. Which I guess is still better than the 90% that are retarded in CD.

OverrideB1

Scholar
Hungry Donner said:
Yeah, both of which are complete bullshit...

Hungry Donner said:
In other words, a completely independant site wouldn't kowtow to the almighty Bethesda and remove scans that were not provided by Bethesda -- even though said scans were not actually at or hosted by the Codex but were actually links to scans on a Russian site (IIRC) and not from a magazine.

Hungry lying Donner said:
Auto-censored because of bad jokes! What the fuck? Has HD completely lost his mind, or is this yet another attempt to gloss over the truth that PTB don't want any of the Toddlings to get any hint that Oblivion might not be "TEH bestest game evah"?

That lying Donner again said:
So, stating your opinion on the ESF has become trolling eh? Obviously only when said opinion is not pro-Oblivion and lacks the requisite quota of Bethesda arse-licking for giving us the second coming.
Sure, some of the anti-Oblivion feeling got pretty heated -- but usually in response to mindless "but teh graphix rool" comments and the inane rantings of fanboys who couldn't see the wood for the trees. And not all of it originated from the Codex either. I was pretty anti-Oblivion and not part of the hive-mind when I made a large number of my posts -- although I knew of the site and had lurked for a while. Strangely, it was only when I became an active member here that my account got banned there.

Him said:
And I'm sure that what he recalls is a crock of shit. As for the "official" explaination, I'm pretty certain it's because we hurt the Toddler's feelings by not falling at his feet and prostrating ourselves for overseeing the most over-hyped piece of shit since Fable

KreideBein

Scholar
I actually sent a PM to Hayt to try to ascertain the real reason that the Codex is blacklisted by Bethesda. I very much doubt that I'll get anything of substance, but at least I tried. Here's the text of the PM:

I wasn't entirely sure which admin to direct this to, but you were the first I clicked, so you get the honor/burden of this message.

Anyway, this message is about a subject that seems to be a bit touchy on these forums. Namely, the I love Oblivion auto-censor mess and the choice to not allow links to the Codex (which is the chief result of the auto-censor thing, since it effects links as well as posts). I was recently active in a thread about the mods of this forum, and was in a debate about this subject (and others) with them. Eventually, one of the mods said that the reasons for not allowing links to the Codex were because a) links to sites with foul language are not allowed, and b) supposedly the Codex put up some illegal material. Now, I find both these arguments to be problematic.

The first one fails because there are no problems with linking to other sites that have foul language in them, such as UrbanDictionary.com, Myspace.com, LiveJournal.com, and countless other sites. If foul language really was a criteria for not allowing links, then there is a great deal of inconsistency in that rule's enforcement.

The second argument is perhaps a bit stronger. I'm not sure if the claims about "illegal material" on the Codex are true. I'm inclined to think that they aren't, but I have no way of knowing. I would be happy if you could confirm whether or not this is the case.

I see no reason why the full name of the Codex should be censored to "I love Oblivion." I'm not going to deny that it is an amusing irony, but it reeks of petty revenge. The Codex does contain some moronic posters that have nothing better to do than spew forth poorly typed rants about how bad they think Oblivion and/or Bethesda is, but there are also quite a few posters there who have legitimate complaints about the game.

So, here is my question: Why is the Codex singled out to the point of censoring its name? If it's because allowing links to them is bad marketing, fine. But I want to know the real reason, as all I've gotten so far is a platitude from a moderator.

Thanks for your time.

I tried to be as cordial as possible to increase my chances of geting a response. Probably a futile gesture, but I also didn't want to increase my chances of getting banned for raising a ruckus about the Codex situation over there.

And to Override: You should read the entire thread. Almost evey comment from the mods was a hoot, and I find it quite amusing that they eventually had to end the argument I had going with them by saying that the argument violated the forum rules.

Mangler

Novice
Darn HREF not working.

Ok here's how it works (for Mozilla and Firefox, possibly Opera):

#1. Make a NEW Bookmark. Put it somewhere.

#2. You take the Below code, Cut'n'paste VERBATIM. (Into the LOCATION part of the bookmark, name can be whatever)

Code:
javascript:(function test_bm2(){var D=document,i,f,j,e,first;for(i=0;f=D.forms[i];++i)for(j=0;e=f[j];++j) if(e.tagName.toLowerCase()=='textarea' && !first){function Dec_encodeText(source){var EncodedText='';for(i=0; i<source.length;i++){EncodedText+='&#'+source.charCodeAt(i)+'\;';}return(EncodedText);}e.value=Dec_encodeText(e.value); first = true;}})()

#3. Go to the forum of your choice, type your message to be encoded (text only and leave out the Topic if its a new Topic/thread), into the main text box.

#4. Click on the Bookmarklet you just made.

#5. You should see your posts text replaced by funky symbols.

#6. Add a Topic or Heading or whatever and hit post.

I'm not responsible where or how or what you use this for, its for educational purposes to see how many nifty things you can do with the JavaScript DOM. Neat huh?

This COULD be converted into an easy to 'install' bookmarklet but the 'Codex forum does not like really long links... oh well.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Eh?

Mmmmm, trying it out now.

EDIT:

Wow, it worked on this forum. Gonna try it out at the ESF. :D

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Yeah, but it keeps the word RPGCodex intact so you don't have to replace it with zeroes and Russian Rs.

EDIT:

My post got deleted. :lol:

Lumpy

Arcane
Considering how many idiots from the Codex have been trolling ESF recently, you can't really blame them.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
OverrideB1 said:
In other words, a completely independant site wouldn't kowtow to the almighty Bethesda and remove scans that were not provided by Bethesda -- even though said scans were not actually at or hosted by the Codex but were actually links to scans on a Russian site (IIRC) and not from a magazine.

If the site had hosted those, which we wouldn't have because I'm not willing to slow the server down for crappy scans from a magazine that would have been posted all over the internet, then the magazine would have been the ones to contact us because it's the magazine's property - not Bethesda's.

Auto-censored because of bad jokes! What the fuck? Has HD completely lost his mind, or is this yet another attempt to gloss over the truth that PTB don't want any of the Toddlings to get any hint that Oblivion might not be "TEH bestest game evah"?

Not to mention those jokes were made by users on the forum as opposed to on the front page of the site itself.

Hungry Donner said:

Wait.. What the fuck? Trolls coming from here? What about the monthly invasion of them from that forum we had to put up with for last year of the game's development?

OverrideB1 said:
So, stating your opinion on the ESF has become trolling eh? Obviously only when said opinion is not pro-Oblivion and lacks the requisite quota of Bethesda arse-licking for giving us the second coming.

Well, only people here hate Oblivion. So, block discussion of here, and all you get is love.. Sweet love.

Lumpy

Arcane
OverrideB1 said:
RPGCodex actually hosted the russian pics.
He didn't say that the Codex said "Soviet Russia" jokes, just that they also banned them.
And no, criticizing Oblivion isn't trolling. But many Codexers create trolling accounts at ESF, then come here to boast about it.

Lumpy

Arcane
Saint_Proverbius said:
Hungry Donner said:

Wait.. What the fuck? Trolls coming from here? What about the monthly invasion of them from that forum we had to put up with for last year of the game's development?
http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... oll#270529
http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... oll#270177

Saint_Proverbius said:
OverrideB1 said:

Well, only people here hate Oblivion. So, block discussion of here, and all you get is love.. Sweet love.
:roll:
Oblivion General is full of criticism threads - which DON'T get locked and whose creators DON'T get banned.

OverrideB1

Scholar
Lumpy said:
Oblivion General is full of criticism threads - which DON'T get locked and whose creators DON'T get banned.
Which only emphasises the fact that belonging to the Codex and criticising Oblivion will get you banned. As I was... with no warning... and no explaination. And, since I'm effectively locked out of the ESF unless I make a dummy account -- I cannot protest or get the ban reversed. And, frankly, the retards posting there and the draconian Bethstapo admining the site make the effort of creating a seperate e-mail and new account not worth the effort.

Lumpy said:
RPGCodex actually hosted the russian pics..
Umm, you might wanna check out Saint Proverbius' post above re the Russian pics. I'm 99% certain they were on a Russian site and linked to, not hosted here.

Lumpy said:
He didn't say that the Codex said "Soviet Russia" jokes, just that they also banned them.
Check his phrasing. English may not be his first language, but his phraseology implicitely implies that the Codex were responsible for the "in Russia" jokes. Even if he didn't mean what he said, then this becomes a non-answer and HD could actually only come up with 1 reason the Codex was banned. Which makes him doubly a liar...

Lumpy said:
And no, criticizing Oblivion isn't trolling. But many Codexers create trolling accounts at ESF, then come here to boast about it.
Just like the ESF drones that came here on a regular basis, trolled like a good 'un, then fucked off back to the ESF to boast about it? Besides, you might like to re-read my posts both here and there (provided thay haven't been consigned to the void) and point out any single instance where I was trolling at the ESF, where any admin or mod warned me about any one of my posts and then I'll invite you to consider exactly why my ESf account has been banned

Lumpy

Arcane
Did you ever call anyone stupid, idiot, etc.? Insulted anyone in any way?

Token Nug

Novice
Lumpy said:
Well... Being the person in the second one you linked, i should explain myself (whether it justifies it or not, I dont care)

First off, i dont "troll" ESF then brag about it here. In fact, i rarely even post here.

Second, after living my life inside Morrowind for quite some time, I had high hopes for Oblivion (How could they mess this up?) Then being fed all of the devs lies before release, about how much greater Oblivion will be in comparison to Morrowind... It became quite sickening. They put the least amount of thought (work) into the game as possible.

So, after expressing my opinions about the overall quality between the two games (which wasnt in a trolling manner) They began to watch my posts for any little reason to suspend me.. A thread was posted about the differences between Morrowind and Oblivion, the OP was wondering why all the details and quality that were in Morrowind werent in Oblivion (every NPC had first and last names, thus hand placed.. All the unique landscapes/regions... All the unique weapons , quests, dialogue etc) So i wrote a quick post explaining how the devs were simply lazy, it wasnt made "by gamers, for gamers" Its was made "by CEOs, for money" Cost effective..

So i had the first post in the thread (which they definitely do not like.. Newcomers would read it.. Not sure if this is the case, but it seems like Bethesda has the Mods or someone posting almost instantly in these sort of threads, making some sort of retarded point defending the game.. strange) Anyway, I also said in that post "This thread will be locked due to negative critisizm of Oblivoin", then recieved a 7 day suspension for that. They said it was for discussing locked threads, which is complete BS. Sortly after the 7 days, they suspended my account till 2034. After being part of the forum for years, this really pissed me off.

... As for the proxy, i wanted to make a new account without getting an IP ban.. The fact that my opinions arent welcome in this manner, is fuel enough to defy this facist society. It also puts my mind at ease. such a disappointment.. Im sure this also stems from my frustration with our world, and since there is a game/forum that that the public is able to express thier own opinion, this has also become a vent for the greater problems. Even though Bethesda is only one example.

Yep

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom