Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Could we jst ban people who say they pirate new indie games?

Krash

Arcane
Instead of banning and shit, how about being less tolerant of shitposters? It used to be that dumbfucks would be harassed and ridiculed into leaving, but now when shitty newfags make shit posts, the oldfags reply by doing the same cue hurf durf herp derp shit thread.

As a general rule, if what you're about to post is just an emoticon, an empty content post, or a shitty unfunny joke, then how about not posting it? Maybe your good behavior will rub off?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
commie said:
I've noticed that the people with the greatest investment in maintaining the 'right to derp' are those that have nothing meaningful to contribute otherwise.
I can dig what you say, but either way, I am not coming here to read my own posts, but that of other people. I am not some book author hoping to be published on the Codex. I am on the Codex to see what others say.

As Helton said when Cloaked Figure was banned, "You know, I come to read posts on the Codex, because, you know, I want to read what people post."

I would defend your own Right to Derp, where you respond with a "Why are you guys talking about an oldass game?" as you did in a Neverwinter Nights 2 review, but like my point was - it would be like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Satan

Educated
I think local rules would be the best, this way all groups would find their places. Actually it works that way, we just need to improve it a little bit.

For example we could forbid piracy discussions in RPG Codex (and TCancer) News & Content Comments, and perhaps gaming forums. However it should be fully allowed in GD (where everything would be always allowed, as right now).

Morkar Left

Just censoring doesn't work for me. I see the codex more as a neutral ground where you can even discuss things like piracy. At least it allows to interchange opinions and I believe that everybody should draw his own conclusions if something is just dumb and juvenile or not.
Most people have a functioning common sense afterall and dumbfucks are usually a minority. Often a loud minority that forces you to raise the voice of reason (aka your personal opinion) once in a while but I can live with that. And there is always the small possibility that someone actually learns something out of it or at least questioning his own opinions once in a while.

But restricting more topics to GD like Satan wrote sounds like a good idea to me. Especially at the moment as you have to lock in to read them.

Luigi

Barely Literate
:lol:
I like how MisterDumb is passionate about something. Albeit being dumb. Like a girl on her period.
I mean gee, are we in third grade here?
but when you rob someone first it sort of negates your opinion, because you're an asshole from the get-go.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Morkar said:
Just censoring doesn't work for me. I see the codex more as a neutral ground where you can even discuss things like piracy. At least it allows to interchange opinions and I believe that everybody should draw his own conclusions if something is just dumb and juvenile or not. [...]

But restricting more topics to GD like Satan wrote sounds like a good idea to me. Especially at the moment as you have to lock in to read them.

I don't think that very many people are considering a full stop on any discussion involving piracy. It seems that the focus is on those who aren't really discussing piracy at all, simply stating that they pirated a game for the hell of it--probably followed by that smug, smiling emoticon. You know the one.

The problem is that this behaviour does not help the Codex's image and it does not contribute to any kind of meaningful debate on whether the game is good/bad, or the game is worth paying for. I realize that it has probably become something of a meme at this point, but if they would just follow it up with, "I pirated this game because [...] :notsmug:," then I don't believe there would be a problem with that.

Personally, I don't really care. I just skip over those posts.

Luigi

Barely Literate
There was no debate on whether a game is good or bad on the Dex since 2008. Thats when Shitout came to be good for what it is. Since then anything goes. Larp larp derp derp hurr durr larp. There is nothing left to DISCUSS!

Luigi

Barely Literate
sPIhi.jpg

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Anybody who pirates anything is a scumbucket faggot.

Anybody who seriously asks to have anybody banned for stating that they pirate(d) something is a scumbucket faggot.

Luigi is a scumbucket faggot, please ban him.

Cassidy

Arcane
We should start banning people who say they preordered Skyrim first.

Also:

VentilatorOfDoom said:
healthier relationship with developers.

Game "journalist" detected.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Cassidy said:
We should start banning people who say they preordered Skyrim first.

Also:

VentilatorOfDoom said:
healthier relationship with developers.

Game "journalist" detected.
:salute:

Walkin' Dude said:
Sometimes I will give in to my urge to buy an indie game, but then I will download a pirated copy 2 or 3 times just to hurt their sales and offset the money they made from my purchase.
:lol:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Could we jst start banning people who say they want to ban everyone?

And also ppl wh lv vwls t f wrds?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Grunker said:
The fact is that you cannot have the Codex without the Codex, and that's essentially what you seem to want.

Depends what the 'Codex' is... A place where people are free to mercilessly critique any and all video games or a place where people can just spam stupid memes for the sake of looking cool on a message forum? I have no problem with colorful language but it should at least be used to make some substantive point rather than for trolling purposes. If every other post some jerkoff makes is 'lol i will piratez/tpb version derp derp' then they aren't posting anything meaningful. Even Skyway makes legitimate criticisms now and then despite doing so in a retarded manner.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Metro said:
Grunker said:
The fact is that you cannot have the Codex without the Codex, and that's essentially what you seem to want.

Depends what the 'Codex' is... A place where people are free to mercilessly critique any and all video games or a place where people can just spam stupid memes for the sake of looking cool on a message forum? I have no problem with colorful language but it should at least be used to make some substantive point rather than for trolling purposes. If every other post some jerkoff makes is 'lol i will piratez/tpb version derp derp' then they aren't posting anything meaningful. Even Skyway makes legitimate criticisms now and then despite doing so in a retarded manner.

Seems like the trolling is working... I agree it's retarded to brag about pirating stuff etc etc but why let it get to you like that? Just don't let posts like that bother you, or, like some people do, scale that shit to your level by using the ignore function. Seriously, why care that much about shit posts?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Grunker said:
No, it means that if you remove the right to one the other will soon follow, and you very well this was what I meant.
No, it won't soon follow because it's not even up for discussion.
Yes, it will follow because such things are inevitable when you start on that path. Just because you say it won't happen, or even that you don't now want it to happen, doesn't stop the philosophy from expanding and your mind from changing. No, you can't predict the future, and it's not worth the risk.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Zarniwoop said:
Seems like the trolling is working... I agree it's retarded to brag about pirating stuff etc etc but why let it get to you like that? Just don't let posts like that bother you, or, like some people do, scale that shit to your level by using the ignore function. Seriously, why care that much about shit posts?

Eh, it's annoying but it doesn't really get to me. I've only used ignore function on two or three people. I'm not necessarily arguing that people should be banned but I completely understand DU's position and agree with it 100%.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom