Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Conan Exiles - Funcom strikes again

Tyrr

Liturgist
I'm noticing that my 3 Relic Hunter Treasure Seekers I captured in the Wine Cellar have shit stats for strength (one has high dexterity though) and feeding them gruel doesn't seem to increase that when leveling them up, but my cimmerian boy started with 20 strength so it looks like I'll be focusing on building him up instead of the RHTSs unless someone has expert advice or tips on how to get that strength stat up with the Relic Hunters (which I'd prefer to build up because they have such high HP). I really don't want to build up a thrall that in the end won't be as good as the cimmerian berserker considering how long it takes to get them at maximum levels. Also, I finally caught Tarris Leatherbinder after several failed attempts. He should be handy working at my armorer's or Tinker's table making Legendary Armor Repair kits.
Always use Str weapons with thralls, Dex is a trap. The Thrall AI can't handle Dex weapons very well (could change with next patch).
Hold your mouse over the Str value to see how much extra damage the Thrall gets for their Str. Berserkers get ~6% extra with their starting Str. Not that much. RHTS also get more extra damage for every Str point than Berserkers.
I have a RHTS with 14 Str that gets the same extra damage (11%) than another Berserker with 29 Str.

Lhynn

Arcane
Yeah, scaling is different and RHTS has a better one.

That said, fighting thralls really dont matter, long as you build your character right and play him right he should not go down. Only way to make thralls count for shit is to invest in authority, though if you do they can be beastly.

Tyrr

Liturgist
Yeah, scaling is different and RHTS has a better one.

That said, fighting thralls really dont matter, long as you build your character right and play him right he should not go down. Only way to make thralls count for shit is to invest in authority, though if you do they can be beastly.
It's a different way to play. I prefer playing Exiles like I play M&B:Warband: sitting back on my horse giving orders and watching my followers do all the work. It's nice that you can be successful in different ways.
It takes some planing and effort. Raising the perfect thralls, getting them the best equipment, ... But it's very satisfying when it works out in the end.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I got my RHTS to lvl 16 and the game has opened up, difficulty-wise. I beat 3 world bosses in a day today and would have beaten a 4th (the Rotbranch, but I was careless and he crushed me with his mighty paw though I was at full health). Now I've got these skeleton keys that open Legendary chests so I have to go searching for them. I've still only seen about 1/4 of the world (actually probably 1/8) so I can at least explore even if that fearsome 10 meter tall boss that looks like an uber-lich was a bit of a paper tiger. Still lots to do, places to go. To be continued...

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I found the chamber with The Tortured King, defeated him, got his skeleton key to open the legendary chest. Clicked on it, and nothing. The chest wouldn't open (but the other 8 chests in the chamber did). Heard you could log off the server, then immediately back on and it might fix the bugged chest. Did that and the chest disappeared as if I had opened it and got a legendary weapon but I got nothing. Bugs like this really bug me. You work hard for these goodies and you get nothing. Also fought The White Tiger boss in B10 (tough bugger), got his skeleton key, and I couldn't find the chest because it's in a canyon with tons of ridiculously high cliffs you need to scale (fell to my death at least once). Looked up the solution on YT (because it bugs me when I don't get what's owed to me) went to that location, and discovered the chest wasn't there. The youtuber was using an older version and they changed the location of the chest (or maybe it was another bug). Think I'll take a break for a day or two. Bugs break you.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Considering getting into this and dragging a whole bunch of my friends down the rabbit hole with me.

- Do we need to pay for a private server if want to want to have our own?
- Any server settings we should adjust?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you want a persistent world where anyone can drop in and play at any time, you need a private server, either rent one or if one of your team is savvy about that stuff, you can run your own private server. Look it up.
If you're always going to play together, pick one person to be the host and they can invite people to their locally run game whenever they're online.

As to settings, adjust enemy respawn time down. The default assumes that the world is an MMO filled with millions of people so stuff respawns constantly. You can't go into a dungeon and come back out without everything respawning unless you fix this.

Look very closely at "purge" settings. My group set ours so that there could be no purge unless at least 3 of us were online to go fight them. It sucks to be the only person online and have 20 guys come knock down your base. Definitely don't turn purges all the way off though. If they seem too harsh and not fun just turn down the difficulty. Also it's tedious if purges happen all the time, we set it so there have to be at least 6 real time hours between purges.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Thanks mate, super useful. Sound like a private server would suit our needs best. Is it easy to set up? I'm deffo not your average PC user, but I can't do anything that requires more than what you can google solutions for.

Can you adjust purges to only spawn when a certain number of people are online?

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thanks mate, super useful. Sound like a private server would suit our needs best. Is it easy to set up? I'm deffo not your average PC user, but I can't do anything that requires more than what you can google solutions for.
I have no idea. When I did it I just paid $15/mo or whatever for the easy mode subscription service linked in the game itself. My group had a tech-head so he said "stop spending that money, I'll do it myself" so we switched to that but as far as I'm concerned he waved a magic wand and suddenly we had a free server. I don't have any special resources or tips.

Yes, that's exactly what we did. It's right there in settings, very easy.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I have no idea. When I did it I just paid $15/mo or whatever for the easy mode subscription service linked in the game itself. My group had a tech-head so he said "stop spending that money, I'll do it myself" so we switched to that but as far as I'm concerned he waved a magic wand and suddenly we had a free server. I don't have any special resources or tips.

Yes, that's exactly what we did. It's right there in settings, very easy.

Sounds great. Hopefully we'll get a group of 10-15 guys.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Yeah, be careful with the Purge setting in your sever settings. Mine was set to the maximum difficulty 6 by default because it assumed that since I was using a dedicated server (which I only played SP on) I was in MMO mode with many other players to help me out The result was tragic. I lost a shitload of thralls and my entire 2nd base. Now it's set to 2 or 3 until I'm more expert with the game.

In other news, I was blasting through bosses left and right, collecting legendary weapons inside chests (when they're not bugged) and thinking I was invincible. Then I came across the elephant boss. "Bah! I'll make pachyderm steaks out of him like I did to all the rhino bosses!" I thought. Damn thing had more hit-point bloat than a 100 other games with artificial difficulty combined.

Modron

Arcane
Just ask Crispy he loves setting up servers for people.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Considering getting into this and dragging a whole bunch of my friends down the rabbit hole with me.

An alternative is to use a pre-configured cracked server; that way, you don't practically have to be an IT to get it up and running (I originally went on YT and watched the tutorial on how to use the Funcom tools to create a dedicated server and even I - a former PC techie - went, "WTF?"). So I took a shortcut and found a cracked server. Then all you need do is run the dedicated server (which opens a cmd box), then run your CE exe, and voila! You got your private server. You will have to name your server and give it a password in the .ini file so that it will show up in the game's online browser, otherwise you'll have to use Direct Connect and put in your internal IP (or whoever's hosting) every time you play the game with friends. Pain. In. The. Ass. So just use the .ini file (DefaultEngine.ini).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

An alternative is to use a pre-configured cracked server; that way, you don't practically have to be an IT to get it up and running (I originally went on YT and watched the tutorial on how to use the Funcom tools to create a dedicated server and even I - a former PC techie - went, "WTF?"). So I took a shortcut and found a cracked server. Then all you need do is run the dedicated server (which opens a cmd box), then run your CE exe, and voila! You got your private server. You will have to name your server and give it a password in the .ini file so that it will show up in the game's online browser, otherwise you'll have to use Direct Connect and put in your internal IP (or whoever's hosting) every time you play the game with friends. Pain. In. The. Ass. So just use the .ini file (DefaultEngine.ini).

If I pay for one via the Funcom partner it should be easy, no?

Just ask Crispy he loves setting up servers for people.

Is this true brother King Crispy ? Has your broness reached these soaring heights?

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I have no trouble paying a pittance for the convencience if it means everything just works rather than me having to push around files. Got a pretty busy job so anything that cuts down on maintenance before actually spending my leisure time is welcome.

The reason I asked was that Jack Of Owls made it sound like maybe even a paid server required some know-how. Googling a bit it seems that is not the case, but I dunno?

Zombra

Patron
The reason I asked was that Jack Of Owls made it sound like maybe even a paid server required some know-how. Googling a bit it seems that is not the case, but I dunno?
It's somewhat more effort than simply paying the $ and connecting to the IP address they give you, but not much. I was able to do it and I promise I'm not good at this stuff.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I'm sure it's easiest of all to just use the paid server service but I'm a cheap cunt and would never pay for something I could do myself for free but that's just me.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Used to be I was exactly like that, but these days with sparse spare time I've basically ended up the exact opposite - I'll pay good money to spare myself from even minor inconveniences if it means I can make for efficient use of my time off work. Guess I'm part of the problem, so to speak :D

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Used to be I was exactly like that, but these days with sparse spare time I've basically ended up the exact opposite - I'll pay good money to spare myself from even minor inconveniences if it means I can make for efficient use of my time off work. Guess I'm part of the problem, so to speak :D
You filthy casual. I bet you're the reason why rpgs have a commerce system of buying supplies in exchange for ingame currency.

Tyrr

Liturgist
Funcom fucked up again. Major Age of War chapter 3 update and everyone gets banned for negative currency.
HW5AM5W.png

Last time they accidentally set the thrall decay timer from 10 days to 24h and most people lost all their thralls.

Perkel

Arcane
Tried some mods. Thralls are alive seems to be nice but it is very clunky. Tried to make second outpost but thralls just teleport for no reason between those places.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom