Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Conan Exiles - Funcom strikes again

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The progression in SP is fucking glacial.
What?
Is it really as simple as that though?
Agree with everything you said. I think I misunderstood you as meaning mechanical progression (and I stand by my comments about that) when you were really talking about progress through the content. Kudos on playing the right way w no guides/walkthroughs, that's how my team did it too over some 500 hours :)

Lhynn

Arcane
Upcoming patch will make a lot of changes. Apparently legendary weapons are getting a complete overhaul, so im excited about that.
Finally free of the T4 bladesmith tyranny.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
The progression in SP is fucking glacial.
What?
Is it really as simple as that though?
Agree with everything you said. I think I misunderstood you as meaning mechanical progression (and I stand by my comments about that) when you were really talking about progress through the content.
That's one thing that astonishes me about this game and probably keeps me coming back - the sheer amount of content, and it all goes into the game world and not stupid cut scenes. You really get your 98 GBs worth with Conan Exiles with not too much useless fluff, at least compared to most modern titles. Sure, it has flaws (some of them quite serious) but it's the ultimate sandbox game, imo. I feel I could have fun exploring alchemy or sorcery in depth here but it's enough just trying to find my way around the huge world without feeling too lost.

mastroego

Arcane
So, what's this about Ages and Chapters?
Does everything remain available for new players, or does the game enter "new ages and chapters" leaving the older stuff behind?
Can't find easy info by googling...

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, what's this about Ages and Chapters?
Does everything remain available for new players, or does the game enter "new ages and chapters" leaving the older stuff behind?
Can't find easy info by googling...
In the last big update (Age of Sorcery) no content was taken out, this isn't a game with an external timeline like "this year you can fight candy monsters and next year candy monsters go away and now you can fight ice cream monsters". It was more like "that used to be a wall but now it leads to a candy monster cave, next year there will be another new cave with ice cream monsters". I hope that's clear.

I'm not sure how save games are retained between versions though. (Like, what happens if a new dungeon appears where your base was? Do you just have to start a new game every update? I don't know these things.)

mastroego

Arcane
That precisely answers my question, thanks.
I keep courting this game but I haven't had the will to start it yet, though it's installed and everything.
It does seem a bit daunting, I need the right set of "external circumstances" to finally give it a go :)

Tyrr

Liturgist
I'm not sure how save games are retained between versions though. (Like, what happens if a new dungeon appears where your base was? Do you just have to start a new game every update? I don't know these things.)
You will never have to start new because of a new age. All the updates are made with the mp servers in mind. All these servers are many years old and there are no plans to every wipe them.
Think of the ages like content patches in a MMO. There are a few things that will only be available during an age (like the camps where you can trade sorcerer skulls for coins, they will go away with the next age), but most stuff will stay.

The last age was mainly about becoming a sorcerer and building golems. The next age will be about building a treasure room, collecting treasure, defending the treasure against NPC attacks and attacking NPC bases.

Lhynn

Arcane
Depends, if your SP is vanilla it shouldnt be an issue. Mods tend to break or corrupt with big updates, can take a while if you have a few mods for them to get patched up, or they can render your save unusable if you have too many.

mastroego

Arcane
Well at the moment I don't have any, I haven't started playing this game. I just wanted to know if SP players get the new content too..

Lhynn

Arcane
Yeah, they get everything. Only thing you dont get is the bazaar and the battle pass stuff if you are offline. But as long as you are online you get that too.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I play with a few QoL mods like Better Thralls to cut down on time and help alleviate what would otherwise be extreme, fun-killing tedium in the game in single-player. I've learned A LOT over the last few weeks since I started CE as a newbie, like making sure that if you play single-player you create and configure a dedicated server so you can change NPCSpawnrate. Otherwise, that cave or camp you just cleared will respawn just as soon as you're out of sight within seconds and you may have to go through it again for some reason when the default respawn rate on official and unofficial servers is typically 15 minutes. I set my NPCSpawn rate for about 75 minutes so areas stayed cleared for that time. I consider this a necessary adjustment for SP.

Zombra

Patron
I play with a few QoL mods like Better Thralls to cut down on time and help alleviate what would otherwise be extreme, fun-killing tedium in the game in single-player. I've learned A LOT over the last few weeks since I started CE as a newbie, like making sure that if you play single-player you create and configure a dedicated server so you can change NPCSpawnrate. Otherwise, that cave or camp you just cleared will respawn just as soon as you're out of sight within seconds and you may have to go through it again for some reason when the default respawn rate on official and unofficial servers is typically 15 minutes. I set my NPCSpawn rate for about 75 minutes so areas stayed cleared for that time. I consider this a necessary adjustment for SP.
Agree you will want to adjust some numbers in your settings mastroego once you get a sense of the game (and yes respawn time is #1), but this doesn't require either mods or a dedicated server.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Agree you will want to adjust some numbers in your settings mastroego once you get a sense of the game (and yes respawn time is #1), but this doesn't require either mods or a dedicated server.
For some reason, if I select Single Player in the main menu instead of Online, my NPCRespawnMultiplier is disabled and you're in for a world of tedium fighting through those mobs you just cleared literally seconds earlier instead of a minimum of 15 minutes like in Online play. It also gives too much exp and causes you to level up too fast in SP, imo. So I did need to configure an online dedicated server to get the NPCRespawnMultiplier to "stick". Basically, I learned not to select Single Player in the Main Menu and select Play Online instead because it allows you to play your single player game on a dedicated server you created with a working NPCRespawn Multiplier, among other benefits.

One mod that I consider essential now is Follower Remote. It got to be downright heartbreaking watching my thrall companions beheading, eviscerating, and/or dismembering that rare, juicy and valuable named T4 thrall I was trying to beat into unconsciousness to convert on my Wheel of Pain. Follower Remote allows me to make my thrall switch to their knock-out truncheons in the heat of battle instead of using their bi-secting katanas that kill your target. Someone mentioned above that the Relic Hunter Treasure Seekers are among the best, most versatile T4 thralls in the game. Well, I went into that wine cellar yesterday (the biggest wine cellar in the history of gaming, btw) and captured three of them, including an RHTS archer (I like to dress my archers up in pretty Valkyrie type armor and perch them on my main buildings). But of course my thrall companion killed several of them so it took longer than it should have because I didn't have full control of my berserking thralls. I hope to change that with Follower Remote.

Tyrr

Liturgist
For some reason, if I select Single Player in the main menu instead of Online, my NPCRespawnMultiplier is disabled and you're in for a world of tedium fighting through those mobs you just cleared literally seconds earlier instead of a minimum of 15 minutes like in Online play. It also gives too much exp and causes you to level up too fast in SP, imo. So I did need to configure an online dedicated server to get the NPCRespawnMultiplier to "stick". Basically, I learned not to select Single Player in the Main Menu and select Play Online instead because it allows you to play your single player game on a dedicated server you created with a working NPCRespawn Multiplier, among other benefits.

One mod that I consider essential now is Follower Remote. It got to be downright heartbreaking watching my thrall companions beheading, eviscerating, and/or dismembering that rare, juicy and valuable named T4 thrall I was trying to beat into unconsciousness to convert on my Wheel of Pain. Follower Remote allows me to make my thrall switch to their knock-out truncheons in the heat of battle instead of using their bi-secting katanas that kill your target. Someone mentioned above that the Relic Hunter Treasure Seekers are among the best, most versatile T4 thralls in the game. Well, I went into that wine cellar yesterday (the biggest wine cellar in the history of gaming, btw) and captured three of them, including an RHTS archer (I like to dress my archers up in pretty Valkyrie type armor and perch them on my main buildings). But of course my thrall companion killed several of them so it took longer than it should have because I didn't have full control of my berserking thralls. I hope to change that with Follower Remote.
I have mapped the important thrall commands (attack&stop) to my keyboard. It helps a lot when I want to switch weapons.
I play on a official PvE server, so no mods or cheating with admin powers.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

I have mapped the important thrall commands (attack&stop) to my keyboard. It helps a lot when I want to switch weapons.
I play on a official PvE server, so no mods or cheating with admin powers.
At the end of the day, multi-player online PvE/PvP is best, I think, (after all, that's what CE was designed for from the ground up) but single player is just too slow and frustrating an experience with default online settings. Why Funcom never bothered re-balancing it for SP is beyond me. So we do it ourselves with mods and "cheats". Yes, you can order your thrall to stop and just stand there and take abuse from 5 or more monsters looking like a cuck but that's a jarring visual for me because I like to see them at least looking like they're fighting back. I'll probably eventually get around to multi-player but for the time being I want to learn all the mechanics and familiarize myself with everything at my leisure with no distractions and not have to worry about finding a server or clan that aren't a bunch of griefing or cheating cunts.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Why Funcom never bothered re-balancing it for SP is beyond me.
It's very easy to change the server setting in sp. You can balance the game the way you want.
Except I couldn't get the most important setting (for me at least) to stick in Single Player - NPCRespawnMultiplier. Try launching your game in Single Player, then adjust that setting in Settings and it just doesn't work. Enemies respawn just as soon as you're out of site of a camp or whatever and come back seconds later no matter what the setting.

Zombra

Patron
Except I couldn't get the most important setting (for me at least) to stick in Single Player - NPCRespawnMultiplier. Try launching your game in Single Player, then adjust that setting in Settings and it just doesn't work. Enemies respawn just as soon as you're out of site of a camp or whatever and come back seconds later no matter what the setting.
Pretty sure this is a you problem and not an us problem. It's been like a year but I was able to flip a switch somewhere that made all my settings work on my locally saved game.

One mod that I consider essential now is Follower Remote. Follower Remote allows me to make my thrall switch to their knock-out truncheons.
I mean sure, I see why that's convenient, but it's really not hard to plan a capture run and give them truncheons before battle starts. If you see someone you want to capture while your swords are out, leave and come back. If it's a big fight, tell your thralls to attack someone else. As ever, yes mods can make the game easier to play, but game is fine without it.

I admit that my philosophy is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I only like to mod games to fix glaring faults. To me having to prepare before a kidnapping isn't a glaring fault. YMMV

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I gave my thrall a truncheon before going in to capture a T4 once, carefully planned that way. Got killed, respawned from my sleeping bag near by, went back and my cherished 20th lvl thrall was chopped to pieces by about 8 baddies because all she was using was a truncheon. I've since learned to just not come back when that happens and let them go into scout mode before returning to home base. In other news, I captured my first Cimmerian Berserker a few minutes ago (controversially and arguably rated as the best fighter thrall) and even that was fairly tough with my thrall helping me. If length of time breaking them on the wheel is any indication of their value then Relic Hunter Treasure Seekers are far better than Cimmerian Berserkers. It took literally hours in real time to break RHTSs (and that's with a journeyman taskmaster manning the Wheel and cook time set to half in server settings) whereas Cimmerian Berserkers break in an hour. Odd. So the best food to give these bad boys is gruel to make them grow up to be the biggest, baddest, strongest, bestest fighters? Personally, if I was a thrall, I'd want steak 24/7 as the incentive to be the best I can be.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Fucking pussies. Since the update hit you dont need to use thralls, they suck unless you level authority. Just do things yourself.
Generally speaking I tend to travel north, looting shit on my way to the mounds. Its a big journey but you can make a shitty home around the area, and just steal hard leather and steel from chests or cimmerians. With that you can make your improved truncheon and give it the advanced blunt shit. You can easily capture a T1 cimmerian fighter, get his star metal weapon. There is a spawn for a lone cimmerian berserker, you can double team him with your thrall, kill or capture, if you capture you have one of the best thralls in the game, if you kill him you can usually loot some epic cimmerian armor from him.

Though I suppose I have played a bit of the game, but yeah, its never a challenge to me. Only thing that may kill me some times is gravity.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
My cimmerian berserker was wearing rags when I found him but did have the star metal great sword. I just find it fun to capture high level thralls and imprison and break them but I'm ready to move onto something else in the game. Maybe go in search of star metal meteorites or black ice and plan my next migration. But first things first... get those waifish low-level cimmerian berserker and relic hunter treasure seeker bums I caught into some decent armor and get some meat on those bones; then with my army of atomic super-thralls, I will conquer da world!

Lhynn

Arcane
All cimmerians have a chance to drop epic armor when they die, all cimmerian fighters will have a star metal weapon and rags when converted. So their village is a great place to farm materials early game. The trip there should get you to a respectable enough level, split points between str and vit, few going to grit for some stamina.

In one of the big circular houses around the mounds there a driver taskmaster that has 100% spawn rate, he is pretty valuable to convert, truncheons made by him have a huge bonus to knock down.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I'm noticing that my 3 Relic Hunter Treasure Seekers I captured in the Wine Cellar have shit stats for strength (one has high dexterity though) and feeding them gruel doesn't seem to increase that when leveling them up, but my cimmerian boy started with 20 strength so it looks like I'll be focusing on building him up instead of the RHTSs unless someone has expert advice or tips on how to get that strength stat up with the Relic Hunters (which I'd prefer to build up because they have such high HP). I really don't want to build up a thrall that in the end won't be as good as the cimmerian berserker considering how long it takes to get them at maximum levels. Also, I finally caught Tarris Leatherbinder after several failed attempts. He should be handy working at my armorer's or Tinker's table making Legendary Armor Repair kits.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom