Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Command Conquer in 2021

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Good deal on Steam - $10 for all CnC games. I think there is around 13 of them.

Caim

Arcane
Only C&C game I would like to revisit is C&C Generals.. I wonder if there is easy way to install it on modern PCs and if there are any good mods for it.
You're going to want to install Gentool.

Not Gentoo, Gentool.

https://gentool.net/

There's a shitload of mods available for this game. As for popular mods Shockwave expands on what's there, while Rise of the Reds adds two entirely new factions (Russia and Europe) with several specializations. I'd say go unmodded first (especially if you like campaigns) and then try one of those mods depending on whether you want to go deep or wide.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Only C&C game I would like to revisit is C&C Generals.. I wonder if there is easy way to install it on modern PCs and if there are any good mods for it.

Not Gentoo, Gentool.

There's a shitload of mods available for this game. As for popular mods Shockwave expands on what's there, while Rise of the Reds adds two entirely new factions (Russia and Europe) with several specializations. I'd say go unmodded first (especially if you like campaigns) and then try one of those mods depending on whether you want to go deep or wide.
I'll check it out. Of course I meant Zero Hour, not vanilla Generals and I am mostly interested in QoL and UI mods.

Caim

Arcane

Not Gentoo, Gentool.

I'll check it out. Of course I meant Zero Hour, not vanilla Generals and I am mostly interested in QoL and UI mods.
Of course, pretty much most mods for C&C games are for the expansions and not the base game.

There have been updates to the games on both Steam and Origin, so if you had mods already installed you might need to do that again.

On an unrelated note, there are some 6.4k people playing Red Alert 2.

https://steamdb.info/app/2229850/charts/

That's about 11 times the current players for the Suicide Squad game. Give it some time and more people will be playing it than there are playing Starfield.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Nah, no EA account needed, you just get a pop up about accepting ea eula and that's it. I tried TS and RA2. They run perfectly fine on w10 and look nice with integer scaling. On win7 they don't launch out of the box, but with the unofficial patches everything is smooth with no need for any external clients. For TS the missions load kinda slow, but other than that no issues at all.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Bought this, cause I really liked c&c remastered. RA2 plays fine, bit janky with resolution but not too bad after ini hacking. Campaign feels very easy compared to tibdawn/ra1.

Tib sun though... I can't even get the game to scroll the screen properly with the keyboard(you can rebind the keys, but you can't hold the keys to continue scrolling so it is useless). This came out a full year after starcraft, how could they fail so badly when it came to something as basic as camera movement?

Hellraiser

Arcane
Tib sun though... I can't even get the game to scroll the screen properly with the keyboard(you can rebind the keys, but you can't hold the keys to continue scrolling so it is useless). This came out a full year after starcraft, how could they fail so badly when it came to something as basic as camera movement?
Hold RMB and scroll with the mouse like normal people do?

Also I could swear the arrow key scrolling used to work as one would expect.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Hold RMB and scroll with the mouse like normal people do?
I've never used that method. I like to scroll with keyboard in rts.
Also I could swear the arrow key scrolling used to work as one would expect.
I suppose for all I know it used to work, and the reason it doesn't is an issue with the rerelease or win10.
I always scroll by moving mouse to edge of screen, never liked other methods.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Harthwain

Magister
This one seems nicer in general than the default steam version, but it has the same behaviour on scrolling with the keyboard. Googling seems to suggest I am not the only person who finds this an issue, but solutions seem sparse.
How about using macros (RMB + arrow key)? You'd probably need a third-party program for that though, and even then I can't guarantee it will work.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Im4VSS0.jpeg

Caim

Arcane
A mobile game dropped. Or maybe it didn't, it's hard to find this piece of shit.

And it's a piece of shit alright: a pay to skip base building game, with a minigame where you play Vampire Survivors. One of the units you can play as in this mode is everybody's favorite unit from the Tiberium series: the Oni mech from Red Alert 3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom