Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Command Conquer in 2021

Ovg

Cipher
Hello and welcome to my guide to playing these games in AD 2021.

I assume you want to play the game single player. That is, you want campaigns and cutscenes.

The First Games (Command Conquer and Red Alert 1):

There's quite a few options here!
  1. OpenRA allows you to play Red Alert 1 or Command and Conquer (or Dune, but who remembers Dune these days) but with many "new" things that weren't there in the base game like attack move, veterancy, stances and more. Thus if you are a purist, this is probably not for you. In order to play campaign you have to already posses the CDs or The First Decade or Ultimate Collection (from Origin, that EA storefront).
  2. CNCnet version Red Alert 1 and Command and Conquer. You want to click the Full Game, Patches, and Linux for cutscenes to be there. This one is just the game as it was patched up. When installing you can download the cutscenes during the setup or import them from the CDs if you got them. Adds render options for when things don't work and you would like to change the render. Which you only really change if you run into issues or want to run reshade (I don't know how to do it though).
  3. The Remaster. It's like option 2 in terms of no new things (unless you install some mods as it supports steam workshop). The cutscenes were upscaled. Subtitles added. If you were to ask me, they're asking a lot for an old game, but it has remastered graphics, which look cleaner and all.You can toggle between remastered graphics (which include mods from the workshop) and classic graphics with space. Also adds zoom. Beware a lot of steam workshop mods are now obsolete as they updated the game when modders already lost interest. Supports reshade.
Tiberian Sun (and Firestorm)
CNCnet Tibsun be sure to click Full game, Patches and Linux. It also downloads the cutscenes and has new renders plus a lot of resolutions. The game looks tiny on even 1920x1080p but it works, is supported and well, you can go for it if it's your thing. Some people know how to add reshade to it.

Red Alert 2
And here we hit the dreaded paywall.
  • First, you can buy the 2CD version and download patches.
  • Buy the First Decade on Origin (and downloaded unofficial patch for that one as well).
  • You probably want to just buy the Ultimate Collection and run it on Origin. That's the least painfull way as you don't need any more patches and you will be spending money anyway.

Once you've installed the version you want you can download CNCnet Yuris Revenge which once installed, will add more resolution options to the game when ran through the original gamemd (or through origin). If you are playing on origin you have to remember to uncheck "origin in game" and cloud saves. So it doesn't go wonky if you installed that.

Red Alert 3 and Red Alert 3 uprising
Steam or as part of Origin Ultimate Collection

Command Conquer 3 and Kane's Wrath
Steam or as part of Origin Ultimate Collection

Command Conquer 4
Why would you want to torture yourself with that is beyond me. The story was stupid. The gameplay deficent. The graphics poor. I don't like it. Get it on steam or on origin. Or play pretend it never existed, which is clearly the perfect option.

---

MODS

Ah yes, the mods. Of course. Command and Conquer ever since the very first game had a modding community that is still active. You can find mods on moddb. Or you could install them from CNCNet if you want to play them online with friends without much of a fuss.

-----

Multiplayer
OpenRA or CNCnet
I am not actively playing those games online anymore. If someone wants to write a guide to multiplay I will gladly update it into this post.

FROM RED ALERT 3 AND UPRISING ONWARDS, THAT IS CNC3 AND KANE'S WRATH AND CNC 4 YOU MAY NOTICE THE SOUND IS GONE. There's a thousand an one tuttorials on how to fix thins, but none worked for me. So I play those gaemes with this as it sounds like something ecclesia would endorse.

Last edited:

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Here's a mod for switching back to the old cutscenes in TD and RA1's remaster if you dislike the blurry 4K upscaling with all its artifacts.

I would also recommend PortableRA and C&C Gold 1.06 instead if you want to go the non-remaster route.
http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cnc95upd/cc95p106/
https://iran.cnc-comm.com/ra/

There's multiple clients for TS with some being more outdated than others, not 100% sure if the C&Cnet is the same as the cnc-comm link but I use the cnc-comm one and people who play more religiously than I do swear by the cnc-comm client.
https://cnc-comm.com/tiberian-sun/downloads/the-game/installer
https://www.moddb.com/mods/tiberian-sun-client

It's also worth mentioning that C&C3's campaigns got fucked with multiplayer balance patches that make it considerably harder and it might be worth looking into downloading an older version. I still have my DVDs and it works on Windows 10 no problem.

EDIT: And here's a link to Dune 2000 packaged with some fan campaigns. Last time I used it, I remember having to go into the client options and manually selecting english for the cutscene files to download or something along those lines.
https://gruntmods.com/dune_2000_gruntmods_edition/

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
This thread reminds me of Emperor: Battle for Dune. Does that one work on modern machines? I own the game but it's at my parents' place so I can't test it right now.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just want to add that the campaign for Command & Conquer 3 is screwed balance wise on Steam. Apparently the patches they released for the game was for multi only with no regard for the campaign. It makes the campaign a real pain to play. But there is a fix which I found on the Steam forums.

I have done it. You need a copy of RetailEXE\1.0 folder (replace C3C3game.dat with a cracked version 1.0) and a copy of CNC3_english_1.0.SkuDef from the DVD install. I think the mistake people make is either not adding the extra files in the 1.0 folder with CnC3game.dat or using a mismatched version of the cracked CnC3game.dat

Link to the files required:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PJXH8SaLULebXrp6LrySXpuCOVrkQ0Qz/view?usp=sharing

I have put the files in the same file structure they need to be copied into, (the 1.9 versions will be there so it will be obvious if you have put them in the correct place). Then right click on C&C3 in your steam library and click Properties, then under 'General Options' click 'Set Launch Options' and type -runver 1.0 (That's a one time thing).

Fixed the issues for me. Finished the campaign both for GDI & NOD recently.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
The Remaster. It's like option 2 in terms of no new things (unless you install some mods as it supports steam workshop). The cutscenes were upscaled. Subtitles added. If you were to ask me, they're asking a lot for an old game, but it has remastered graphics, which look cleaner and all.

Silly boy, the jukebox alone is well worth the price.

Ovg

Cipher
Generals has custom campaings and custom factiions even (that is remixes)

Ovg

Cipher
But it's still rough around the edges. Yet if you want 2000% of all warhammer stufff, download it without questuin

For everey quality mod that thte community gives us, twice as many as a bandoned or just add usueless stuff. But hey, more miissions. Let me recommend a mod for REAL 40K BATTTELS WITH ALL THEM MEATGRINDERS

Hellraiser

Arcane
The Remaster. It's like option 2 in terms of no new things (unless you install some mods as it supports steam workshop). The cutscenes were upscaled. Subtitles added. If you were to ask me, they're asking a lot for an old game, but it has remastered graphics, which look cleaner and all.

Silly boy, the jukebox alone is well worth the price.
Me after plugging in 'muh tiberium crystal flash drive with the soundtrack in FLAC that came with the boxed version:

:slamdunkride:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
There are still games in 2022 that are more exceiting than SCII both in terms of spectacularity and comebacks

SCII have only two advantages over C&C - supported multiplayer system and balance patches.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
I'm having trouble getting Generals and a bunch of other arty asses to run on my PC. If someome can help me with that, please PM me.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Only C&C game I would like to revisit is C&C Generals.. I wonder if there is easy way to install it on modern PCs and if there are any good mods for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom