Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Combat Skill Options & Builds

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Currently playing a more sign based Geralt decked in Light Armor for the 100% Critical Damage.
It's okay, I guess - effective and versatile - the signs when employed correctly can win most fights with no issues.

Let's review on the skill picks they made us choose and judge whether they are worthwhile at all.
General Skills
These tend to be single point investment that pays off quickly for early game. However, a bad pick here could end up as a waste of points since the precious active slots unlock gradually as you level, and it's easy for other specialized group talents to outshine it.

1. Armor Pick: Cat/Griffin/Bear :5/5:
This is a must-have. Never overlook the passive bonuses this skill will give you. Depending on your armor choice, you should invest no more than one school of style, unless you have the Active slots to spare. With full armor set equipped (4x) you gain the following:
Cat: 100% Critical damage & 20% Fast attack damage
Griffin: 20% Sign intensity & 20% Stamina Regeneration
Bear: 20% Vitality & 20% Heavy attack damage

IMO, the best deal of the three is Cat for pure sword damage increase, the damage bonus is very noticeable when you score a backstab critical with a heavy attack. Later on, you'll find some decent Light Armor that grant increased critical hits as well. The downside? You'll take more damage if you're hit.

2. Sun and Stars :2/5:
During the day, you regenerate +10 Vitality/sec. During the night you regenerate +1.0 stamina/sec in combat.
This isn't a bad pick at the start when you're broke and had very little food to top off your HP. But once you've raided 5 kitchens, you're all set to ignore this talent. There are way better skills to slot in. But if you did put a point on it, don't feel bad, I fell to the trap as well.

3. Survival Instinct :0/5:
Immediate increase of 500 Max Vitality
I didn't even give it a second look. At low level this is quite sizable, granting Geralt an almost 25% more Vitality. I'm now level 20 and my max HP is almost eight times of that. Definitely not worth a point.

4. Steady Shots :0/5:
Crossbows deal 25% more damage
Man, if this is 100% damage - a reluctant maybe. It's not worth it.

5. Rage Management :2/5:
When stamina is too low, a single Adrenaline point can be used instead to cast it.
I use this skill to supplement my lower stamina regeneration early game. But the problem is generating the adrenaline and maintaining it in the first place. It's very situational and frankly, I used it less and less as my stamina regeneration gets higher and higher. Swordmaster who gains more adrenaline can use this skill as well for emergency Quen or chain Axii > Backstab

6. Adrenaline Burst :2/5:
Increased Adrenaline generation by 5% and casting signs now generates Adrenaline
I spent a point here to pair it with Rage Management. And found the combo very underwhelming. Overall, not worth it, although high Sign-usage coupled with high Stamina Regeneration can generate noticeable Adrenaline gains.

7. Focus :1/5:
Adrenaline now increases Sign intensity as well
The potential for 30% Intensity gain at maximum Adrenaline isn't bad, but you will have to generate the adrenaline first. It's not worth it, use Blue mutagen instead. Alternatively, Swordmasters who want more Sign intensity without dipping into Sign Skill pool can invest here, but you still have limited casting opportunity due to shitty Stamina Regeneration rate, unless you picked Rage Management.

8. Metabolism Control :3/5:
Increase Max Toxicity by 30%
For those who want to mess with decoctions this is your only option without going too deep into Alchemy tree.
Since decoctions take up 80 Toxicity, you will want to increase Max Toxicity to allow potions while the former is active. Otherwise it also gives you option to consume 5 potions in battle which means multiple buffs and spare room for Swallow/Tawny Owl.

RK47

Patron
Tier 1 Signs Review:
1. Aard - Distance Boost :2/5:
3 Ranks - Increases range of Aard by 1 yard / point.
Could be useful, but let me just say it outright that I don't like low level Aard, this skill doesn't even boost the critical chance.
Compare it to guaranteed stun by Axii at level 1, it's just not as good. While you can trigger an instakill if you crit with Aard, I rather just Axii Stun for a guaranteed back-slash.
This could change drastically once you've got high intensity and chance of knockdowns but as a low level skill, it's not worth it.

2. Igni - Melt Armor :5/5:
5 Ranks - Lowers armor per Igni application, up to 75%
Many ask if the armor reduction is noticeable, I will ask this question back to them, is 2.5 Sta/sec not noticeable?
This is my top pick for tier 1 Sign to improve. You just can't get 2.5 stamina/sec on one active slot till much later levels.
As for the armor decrease? Who really cares mang? I don't- okay, I lied I care about it but not much.

3. Yrden - Sustained Glyph :1/5:
2 Ranks - +2 Alternate Mode Charge and +5 seconds duration per rank, on second rank, two Yrden normal mode can be active at once.
Nope. Not seeing the value in this. Only two ticks of Stamina Regen wasted on an active slot. Skip. Totally. As much as I find the Yrden Alternate useful, it's not worth it.

4. Quen - Exploding shield :3/5:
3 Ranks - Quen is improved - Rank 1 pushes enemy back when it breaks. Rank 2 pushes and damages. Rank 3 does both with an added chance of knockdown.
This is not a bad investment. You will use Quen and it will break often. But overall, I'm not seeing a big deal out of it, unless you boost the hell out of its intensity with runes, then it gets really really cheap on trash mobs.

5. Axii - Delusion :3/5:
3 Ranks - Target does not move towards Geralt when sign is being cast, also Axii is usable in conversation. Increased ranks are required to pass higher level Axii checks in conversation
I like this. Not because of the combat effectiveness. In order to fulfill the 8 point requirement for Tier 2 Sign, this + Igni's Melt Armor is probably the best. Axii Conversation checks grant EXP. Failure is scripted, you cannot fail any Axii checks, it is simply colored very differently than normal dialogue options if you have insufficient rank. I think I've gained close to 500 EXP total from using this skill alone. Combat-wise the effect is negligible, but I feel it does its job well enough and opens up new ways to resolve some encounters.

Last edited:

made

Arcane
Many ask if the armor reduction is noticeable, I will ask this question back to them, is 2.5 Sta/sec not noticeable?
Is it much more noticeable than 1.5 sta/sec tho that you'd want to forgo improving a sign that you actually use?

you cannot fail any Axii checks, it is simply grayed out if you have insufficient rank.
As already established in another thread, they are red, not greyed out. How can I take your analysis seriously if you can't get simple facts right? :|

RK47

Patron
you'd want to forgo improving a sign that you actually use?

I hardly use Aard till mid game. I just don't find it worthwhile with the Burn effect triggering panic on the mobs as well and Axii lands a guaranteed stun.
Quen is worth it.
Igni is still the cheapest way for triggering fire damage. Then I found out about exploding crossbow that can trigger burns.
Yrden isn't so hot. If you just want to grab 8 points, it's probably best to just go for Igni 5 ranks + Quen/Axii

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
I find the sign based Geralt totally viable and fun to play. I went the Griffin route for max sign intensity and regen (focus and rage management from general). Basically i want to make a chain casting Geralt. Agreed on most signs although i like the extended duration on Yrden and increased range of Aard, for crashing and insta killing flying monsters. I think i use Axii the least, sofar, and only have it at 3 points right now for the dialogue options.

RK47

Patron
I'm the opposite. I employ Axii every single time, cause it never failed to stun annoying humans who can parry and counter your frontal strike.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Never fail stun sounds good.

I usually burn humans and use Aard for the heavily armored/shielded ones (not when they are already on fire :)

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
If you want a build that uses lots of signs you probably should make it adrenaline based, i.e. casting from adrenaline not stamina. There's one skill in the general abilities that lets you cast signs with adrenaline and the right column in the combat skill tree is about getting more adrenaline with sword strikes, starting the fight with adrenaline filled etc. That way you can create loads of adrenaline easily and spam signs way quicker than you could with stamina. There's even a skill somewhere that creates adrenaline when casting a sign, which you can then use to cast a sign which will create adrenaline and enable you to cast a sign etc. r00fles

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
If you want a build that uses lots of signs you probably should make it adrenaline based, i.e. casting from adrenaline not stamina. There's one skill in the general abilities that lets you cast signs with adrenaline and the right column in the combat skill tree is about getting more adrenaline with sword strikes, starting the fight with adrenaline filled etc. That way you can create loads of adrenaline easily and spam signs way quicker than you could with stamina. There's even a skill somewhere that creates adrenaline when casting a sign, which you can then use to cast a sign which will create adrenaline and enable you to cast a sign etc. r00fles

Those general skills are really redundant when you go for Sign build. You still need to equip them to work, so IMO it's better to equip only sign enhancement. That way you will have fast stamina regeneration - with Tawny Owl potion regeneration will be nearly instantaneous. Adding Greater Blue mutagens in each mutagen slot will turn Geralt into spellwielding powerhouse. A sprinkle of Superior Petris Philter and you are unstoppable.

Never invested in 3rd tier "sign intensity" bonus. Seems not worth it.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Yeah, at the very least you will have blue mutagens, still looking for red ones. I guess the advantage with adrenaline is you can equip the heaviest armor without worrying about stamina regen.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Tier 1 Signs Review:
1. Aard - Distance Boost :2/5:
3 Ranks - Increases range of Aard by 1 yard / point.
Could be useful, but let me just say it outright that I don't like low level Aard, this skill doesn't even boost the critical chance.
Compare it to guaranteed stun by Axii at level 1, it's just not as good. While you can trigger an instakill if you crit with Aard, I rather just Axii Stun for a guaranteed back-slash.
This could change drastically once you've got high intensity and chance of knockdowns but as a low level skill, it's not worth it.

3. Yrden - Sustained Glyph :1/5:
2 Ranks - +2 Alternate Mode Charge and +5 seconds duration per rank, on second rank, two Yrden normal mode can be active at once.
Nope. Not seeing the value in this. Only two ticks of Stamina Regen wasted on an active slot. Skip. Totally. As much as I find the Yrden Alternate useful, it's not worth it.

Aard with this boost and 2nd tier enhancement is almost gamebreaking. You just stand in mids of foes sending one shockwave after another and see everyone collapse. With 4th level damage upgrade (which I have yet to pick) the game could potentially fall apart.

Yrden is great against huge, "tanky" enemies (and ghosts). Multiple Yrdens layed down on area allows you to outmaneuver any non-flying opponent and score those precious critical bacstabs.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
At higher levels I'd just respec and dump enough points in alchemy to maximize toxicity so Gerald can use multiple decoctions.

Being able to use cluster bombs is nice too.

Last edited:

Nryn

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Acquired tolerance -- the 3 point Tier 1 skill in the Alchemy tree -- breaks the game even on Death March once you've acquired a lot of potion recipes.

The master herbalist in Skellige sells superior potion recipes once you finish his quest. At around level 20 I ended up with 267 toxicity -- enough for 3 decoctions to run simultaneously. Assuming you find places of power as well, that gives you more than enough skill points to invest heavily in the combat tree along with a few points in the general tree.

To test this build I went with Ursine armour to max out heavy attack damage, and maxed out both whirl and rend in the combat tree. I also had the Archgriffin decoction and Ekhidna decoction up at the same time.

Since the Archgriffin decoction makes your strong attacks remove at least 10% of the enemy hp every blow, no boss or contract monster has managed to withstand more than 6-7 blows. The Ursine armor also provides crazy high resistance to monster damage so you're not going to die easily. If your health drops at any point, just whirl for a second -- you regenerate to full hp instantly.

Long story short, decoctions are game breaking. You can output massive damage, tank numerous hits and regenerate to full hp on command. Needless to say, I specced out of this build after fucking around for an hour or two.

Gerrard

Arcane
Did they actually fix it so that if you use the respec potion it gives you back the points gained from places of power? Because it did not.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Sure about this? I used the potion once and got way more points back than my level, so I assumed the points from places of power were included.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I am still running on v1.3 and got these points back when drinking the potion of clearance.
So yes, should be fixed already if they didn't break it again in v1.4.
Also +1 on acquired resistance being OP.
Game is easy on blood&bones with one decotion already.
Being able to drink two or more is basically godmode.
Game needs a permadeath-mode like W2 where you can derp around with overpowered builds without killing the fun for yourself.

Gerrard

Arcane
Sure about this? I used the potion once and got way more points back than my level, so I assumed the points from places of power were included.
Yes, I saw posts about it on the official forum as well, but that was in 1.02 I think. Dunno, guess I'll just save and try now.

made

Arcane
as for Sun and Stars on DM its must have. Was playing without it and at some point was spending too much money on food(im roaming and hiking more than doing quests, so I need a lot of healing).
The regen really is pathetically low. It would need to be percentage-based to justify a slot at higher levels. Try alt-Quen, you can use it to top yourself off before you finish off the last enemy.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
The regen really is pathetically low. It would need to be percentage-based to justify a slot at higher levels.
It's not very useful when in a combat-heavy dungeon, but it comes in handy when you're simply travelling or exploring. I kept it until the end simply because it makes things more convenient, even though you can pretty much replace it with the troll decoction later on if you invest in alchemy.

TedNugent

Arcane
Currently 28 points in Signs tree -

The only meaningful talent is Igni alt-fire with massive sign intensity bonus, everything else in the tier is shit and useless

Does several thousand damage per tick at 160% sign intensity tho and instant ignites everything it touches.

cw8

Cipher
I basically stopped eating food when I got maxed out alternate Quen. I still do on harder fights and the occasional Swallow. It's funny when lesser mobs like Ghouls can restore your hp to near max with just using 1-2 boosted alternate Quens. I'm on death march.

RK47

Patron
Currently 28 points in Signs tree -

The only meaningful talent is Igni alt-fire with massive sign intensity bonus, everything else in the tier is shit and useless
Does several thousand damage per tick at 160% sign intensity tho and instant ignites everything it touches.

I wouldn't dismiss Aard's Alternate Move if it wasn't for Igni's high burn dps instantly taking a huge chunk off Bosses HP.
And the best part is Superior Petri's Philter ensures 100% Critical Sign Effect when in effect. :DDDDD

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Igni is pretty cool yeah. But so is Aard. You can easily mow down hoards of enemies by knocking them off their feet and finishing them while they're down.

I barely use the others honestly, although I acquired alternate Quen. My points are almost equally spent between Signs and Swords.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom