Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls Codexistan's Official Skyrimjob Verdict.

I think that Skyrim...

• ... is MAGESTIC!! (Crispy as fuck)

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • ... is an amazing game. (I suck Todd's toes)

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • ... is pretty good, with some issues. (Chocolate Jew)

Votes: 47 29.0%
  • ... is very mediocre, don't get me wrong, but mods will save it. (IGN's max level angry cunt)

Votes: 24 14.8%
  • ... is mediocre, nothing could possibly redeem it. (Good games could only possibly come out on a Thu

Votes: 42 25.9%
  • ... is banal, shit, boring. (Mom told me to clear my room but I bought Arma III instead)

Votes: 35 21.6%
  • ... is too difficult for me. (Comrade of Dragonkings)

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • ... is an ofense towards the Quran!! (Goat fucker)

Votes: 8 4.9%

• Total voters

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
racofer said:
melee combat is repetitive and uninspired, if only Bethesda had mimicked Dark Messiah's
Seems like they did.

Drakron

Arcane
baronjohn said:
Mods didn't save Oblivian and they won't save Skyrim.

It was near impossible to bypass the level of idiocy that was Oblivion since a lot of it was due to the downright idiotic plot of the game, attempts at gameplay balance were made with some megamods but ...

The reason being that modders with great vision ain't gonna fucking bother polishing a turd,

...they ended up fucking as much as they solved because there very few modders with great vision, at least ones that know when to quit instead of adding more and more crap at it (more does not mean better).

so you're stuck with shitty lore-raping anime mods.

So far Skyrim is being cursed with "HD textures" were they just up the texture to 4096 and salt and pepper it, this is not a exclusive problem to Skyrim but I already seeing people trying to create megamods as the game frankly does not need them.

With that said, there have been some good efforts, like RWT that is attempting to remove the odd waterflow of the game and some various fixes.

I would say the "anime mods" are the least of my worries.

Eyeball

Arcane
I must shamefully admit that I voted "amazing."

I thought it was a decent game, full of flaws but well presented, enormous and engaging. A solid 7/10 or so, wasn't interested enough to finish it.

Then I noticed that I'd clocked in about 80 fucking hours into the game before getting even slightly bored. And that is before any worthwhile mods besides "realistic cocks on dragons!" were released.

So yeah, pretty amazing, although it really does have a shit engine.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
+Better roleplaying because the perks define your character more than any previous TES game.
+Better writing than their previous games, though still not Obsidian level.
+Actually offers some choice and consequence.
+Better visual design, more interesting world than Oblivion.
+Spellswords are a great class due to dual-wielding.
+Fuck-ton to do, even more than their usual.

-No stats removes some customization.
-Spells are very limited, creation is gone.
-Most quests are very simple and not well presented.
-Faction questlines are short and relatively simple compared to MQ.
-Choice and consequence more limited than I'd like.
-Engine still sucks.

That's about it for me. Much better than Oblivion and Fallout 3 in a lot of ways but still not up to the standards of the genre in quite a few categories. Morrowind is still the best game they ever did, but this one is a strong step toward being amazing. If not for Deus Ex 3 I might have even said best "big budget" RPG of the year, though what was the competition?

Anyway, I voted good with flaws.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Drakron said:
It was near impossible to bypass the level of idiocy that was Oblivion since a lot of it was due to the downright idiotic plot of the game, attempts at gameplay balance were made with some megamods but ...

Indeed, there was no saving Oblivion. This time I actually like the game, the world and the plot, so modding the flaws is a truly exciting proposition. Right off the bat a new UI and adding stats back in would probably make it a classic in my eyes.

tindrli

Arcane
when i think about skyrim among others i cant get rid of the one thing among all others.. boring... i didn't even finish 30 % of the damn thing and i think i had enough Draug,r for 2 .. no 3 lifetimes. all others is forgettable.

My Name is

Novice
One might think vast, immersive when you begin playing it, where flaws at the start get overlooked in the hopes that "I just haven't reached the good stuff yet", but actually every part of the game is just as dull, boring and badly designed as the one you start out with. Then the buyer's remorse kicks in and gives the game 10/10 because "you can mod the flaws out".

In short, this game is a scam.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Desmodus Rotundus said:
not interested is missing from the options

That's impossible. The game is just probably too difficult for you, perhaps GoW3 would satisfy you the most? Not every person is prepared for a game as deep, expansive and mature like Skyrim.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
There should really be a "didn't play it" option.

flushfire

Augur
DalekFlay said:
+Better roleplaying because the perks define your character more than any previous TES game.
It's a bit disappointing that they didn't take it all the way though. Because some skills are not worth spending any free perks on and some skills redundant at around skill level 70, theoretically at max level you'll still be able to get almost all perks of worth.

The game to me feels like a collection of such wasted potential. Just because bethesda cannot let go of it's "let the player do anything anytime" design philosophy. :(

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Medicore. Stupid AI, Stupid Quests, Linear Dungeons, Linear Quests, No World Reaction to your choices, treating the player as a dumbfuck. Still it looks good and I spent many hours on it. Better than Oblivion and Fallout 3.

tindrli

Arcane
it might be stupid but i tried to hard to figure out is there anything that i like in this game.. and the only thing that ocures to me are those GIGANTS.. dont really know way but seems to me that they are great part of the landscape..

462867-skyrim.gif

also realised that i didnt kill any of them

ok.. thats it

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
flushfire said:
DalekFlay said:
It's a bit disappointing that they didn't take it all the way though. Because some skills are not worth spending any free perks on and some skills redundant at around skill level 70, theoretically at max level you'll still be able to get almost all perks of worth.

The game to me feels like a collection of such wasted potential. Just because bethesda cannot let go of it's "let the player do anything anytime" design philosophy. :(

All of this is bullshit. You cannot get almost all perks worth at max level. Not even close. I know because I cheated to get all skills to 100 and my level to 81 (the max). I was going warrior with some magic on the side. The truth is that the crafting perks take up a lot of space, and you need to spend a bunch of points in all 3 crafting skills because the results are well worth it no matter what style you play.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Mastermind said:
All of this is bullshit. You cannot get almost all perks worth at max level. Not even close. I know because I cheated to get all skills to 100 and my level to 81 (the max). I was going warrior with some magic on the side. The truth is that the crafting perks take up a lot of space, and you need to spend a bunch of points in all 3 crafting skills because the results are well worth it no matter what style you play.

Yeah, I'm at level 54 or so after 100+ hours amd I've only got perks in 5 or so trees and not even all of those are completed, or anywhere near it.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
7/10 for Skyrim. Very big improvement on Oblivion, pacing is superior to Morrowind, more interesting story.

There are issues but overall it's a decent game.

Multi-headed Cow

... is pretty good, with some issues. (Chocolate Jew)

Pretty much sums it up. Having a good time with no mods, and mods will make it better once all those kidnapping radiant quests have the NPCs being raped and then I can stand there and watch.

Would've been good if it ditched the level-scaling and if all questlines had the quality of the thievesguild/DB. Mods can fix the level-scaling but not the mostly shit quests.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom