Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Gaming

AZ

Liturgist
GTA2?
It is freeware.

Surgey

Scholar
sabishii said:
Is that multiplayer Oblivion mod done yet? We could play that!

Kidding, of course. But aren't there any Codex-top-ten games to play multiplayer? 6-person Baldur's Gate?

I'm down with an Infinite Engine game. IWD2 is hack and slash. BG2 is a little more story-driven, but it'd still work.

I also have ISO's for IWD2 and BG2.

ixg

Erudite
Hm, you seem to have ISOs for everything.

I guess a game of BG2 would be neat. I have BG1 too, never finished it though.

Fez

Erudite
You could attempt to go through all of BG1 and 2 with a party.

MINIGUNWIELDER

Scholar
Satelite Broadband, I have two options(that I know of), WildBlue, and Hughes.
Can someone with an adequate internet please tell(ie search the webs) me if they are any good?

In the meantime, what can I play with you freaks using dial-up?

SlavemasterT

Arcane
MINIGUNWIELDER said:
Online pong.

Oh, also, satellite is almost always super expensive, from what I've seen. They do that to make sure that there are SOME disadvantages to living in a fortified compound out in the middle of nowhere.

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
MINIGUNWIELDER said:
Satelite Broadband, I have two options(that I know of), WildBlue, and Hughes.
Can someone with an adequate internet please tell(ie search the webs) me if they are any good?

Satellite is horrible for games. The lag is unbelievably bad, and most games can't even run at all with it. It's fast for downloads, but NOT uploads/games.

I used to have satellite, but I got Texas Cellnet. It's wireless, good for games, and I live in the boonies.

Summary: NOT RECOMMENDED.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
roguefrog said:
Tribes TAC would be a gas. Really the only old game I would still play multi.
I don't think we have enough players for Tribes. However, I have an old Tribes CD that I could maybe upload somewhere.

Fez

Erudite
Are the Tribes bots any good to fill out the numbers? I know the Tribes 2 ones were supposed to have been worked on as well.

Surgey

Scholar
Tribes 1 had bots? Oh, I think there are third party ones, but not sure. On the small maps, 4v4 isn't bad. But Tribes IS free (and the second one, if Fileplanet still has enough CD Keys), so it's worth a shot. Runs easy. Just be warned, I like to go kamikaze in the scout a lot.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I got fairly good at it, however Tribes is a pretty difficult game. What I really hated was how some people could use the Juggernaut (bitch) armor and get into your base and totally fuck you up with mortars but I was never able to accomplish this.

I think the gun I used most was the grenade launcher. For some reason it just seemed to work for me.

Surgey

Scholar
It's a very powerful gun. I prefer the chaingun and blue plate special, personally. Indoors I'm partial to the plasma gun and grenade launcher.

EDIT: Here is a link to the Tribes download. It's Fileplanet, I know, but at least it's reliable.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Yeah outdoors the chaingun is better. I liked the plasma gun too, the splash damage was helpful.

One cool thing I remember doing was piloting a bomber around. That is, a heavy APC with a bunch of juggernauts with mortars flying around the enemy base. I remember you could do that in Planetside, too, back when I played that.

Surgey

Scholar
Good times. Download link posted above, by the way. One reason I preferred the plasma indoors is because people tended to use the Shield pack indoors more often, since they didn't jet around as much, and the plasma gun ignored shields.

Fez

Erudite
Tribes 2 is legally free too now, isn't it? Might be worth trying seeing for that price.

Surgey

Scholar
Yes, but if I remember correctly Fileplanet had limited CD Keys, so it might not be available anymore. Still, we could always use, uhh... different... CD keys...

And just so you guys know, the latest version is 1.11, I believe. Get the 1.8 to 1.11 patch for Tribes.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I remember I had Tribes 2 but I forgot my password. I tried installing and playing the game like 3 years later but I couldn't play, a login and password was already assigned to my CD-Key but I didn't know what it was. Gay to the max.

I remember Tribes 2 wasn't as good as the original anyways.

Surgey

Scholar
You know, D&D Online would be fun to play if we got a private server thing going so we avoid that fee. And since it's an instanced dungeon questing game, you don't really miss out on the online economy stuff. I've played DDO before, and I vouch for its enjoyment. Most people like to compare it to Guild Wars, but personally I liked DDO more, if only because it's D&D, maybe.

But anyway, it's a fun game. Many of the dungeons are made for parties, and the translation of D&D rules actually isn't too bad, it'd be great to have a cool unique party of different-classed adventurers going. Anybody up for acquiring it and doing the private server?

I heard DDO was pretty terrible myself, otherwise I would have given it a shot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom