Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
From Saxony, I can contact as far as Armenia, so it's still pretty far.

Huge event spoiler for an awesome event -

I just created the Philosopher's Stone and achieved immortality.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
How reduced is reduced diplomatic range? Interested in enabling it my next game. Currently too easy to marry Khans from Western Europe.

I tried out the reduced range and from England I could contact just about anyone in Western Europe, but the Byzantines were just out of range. So it seems to work well for The far west of the map, but I have a feeling it won't mean much in the middle.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
It's 834. I'm the King of Saxony and I'm still on my starting character, who is in his 80s. Francia just ate half of my kingdom and I'm desperately trying to eat up tiny chunks of Pomerania and Denmark so I can fight back. Things are going terribly. Oh, and the Mongols just invaded.

This is the best game of CK2 I've had probably since it came out. This is so gatdam good.

Are you experiencing the "Councillor events happen way too quickly" bug? Game is unplayably easy for me until its fixed. Steward triple your income, even Tribals can convert provinces easily, Diplomat gets claims everywhere and Spy gets hundreds of tech points a year.

Fry

Arcane
Do you need the Horse Lords DLC to be invaded by Mongols, or is that just to play as a Mongol?

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera

Does it actually make you immortal? I got that quest and failed, getting my hands cut off during the first trial and losing a damn awesome Queen at a young age as a result.

Do you need the Horse Lords DLC to be invaded by Mongols, or is that just to play as a Mongol?
Just to play. They will invade regardless of whatever DLCs you have or don't have.

You can play them regardless of DLC. What Horse Lords adds is primarily the Nomad government type and other related things, without it all of the nomads instead become Tribes and IIRC Mongols become Feudal.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
Oh no, my son died! Oh no, my backup heir died! Oh no, my dynasty is fucked!

This is awesome, probably the best expansion after the Old Gods. The game finally feels dangerous again. I can't lay out 200-year plans anymore because something always throws a wrench in them now. Plus, you can change a bunch of default settings to make the game harder. I decreased diplomatic range and made the Mongol invasions random, and probably some other stuff too. Too gatdam good.

I'm reading some delicious butthurt about this in some other forums. In the past, it was often more in the player's interest to maintain a small, nuclear family. A son, maybe a back-up one in case the first one is no good, perhaps a couple of daughters to marry off for alliances, but not too many children, because that only means more people with claims against the player down the line. Then you could just divorce your wife, maybe marry an old woman with good diplomacy stat instead, and basically your only risk in terms of succession would be your heir becoming stressed or depressed if you chose to land him. Now this strategy actually poses a real risk of game over. There will be more butthurt about this, maybe they'll done it down just a little bit, but I hope they don't concede too much.

Reaper's Due is currently one of the best-reviewed DLCs for CK2 according to Steam, so I hope not.

That said I would prefer that disease come more from epidemics (which can be defended against by hospitals and closing the gates) rather than random events (which can't be protected against). But I dunno if the disease event spam I'm getting is intended since lots of other events are out of whack and firing way too often.

Whisky

The Solution
Yes, that is part of what I like so much about this DLC, it actually encourages children manufacturing. Before every additional son became another pretender or someone who would gobble your titles when you die and there was little incentive to get lots of them.

Now there's a huge incentive to reproduce. It changes everything.

This along with the ability to disable the shitty new game features fucking revived this game.

EDIT: I just thought of something...can mercenary companies spread epidemics? I think I'm going to start vetting them very closely from now on.

Last edited:

eric__s

ass hater
Developer

Does it actually make you immortal? I got that quest and failed, getting my hands cut off during the first trial and losing a damn awesome Queen at a young age as a result.
I don't know. The trait gives you +10 to health and my guy still gets sick every once in a while, but I'm also 140.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I was already a baby machine, even before this DLC I would never let anyone who's not of my dynasty have a title. If I saw some minor count somehow managed to get a title, I'd upend my entire empire just to get him out. And if any of my dynasty for some reason flips culture, they get the axe. Fuck the penalties.

Whisky

The Solution

I don't know. The trait gives you +10 to health and my guy still gets sick every once in a while, but I'm also 140.

Kind of hoped for an event where people start to realize that there's something off about your longevity and you suddenly have a greater chance of dying of unnatural, pitchfork or torch-related, deaths.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer

Kind of hoped for an event where people start to realize that there's something off about your longevity and you suddenly have a greater chance of dying of unnatural, pitchfork or torch-related, deaths.
Yeah, I've been thinking about that too, it would probably be good. At the same time, my dude had an insane life even before he became immortal. He killed Charlemagne in personal combat when he was like 18, he became king of Saxony and created his own religion. They probably think he's Odin. He is without a doubt the coolest character I've ever had even without becoming immortal. I've never had a single guy accomplish so much in ~40 years.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
You can't make this shit up Comrades; playing as Glorious Catholic Kingdom of Asturias this time and bringing the :incline: of Reconquista to Duchy of Portucale my son and groomed heir caught the flue; his curation was botched; all right that does happens send the court physician to dungeon and got back to Deus Vaulting the Moors teamed with our Bro Charlemagne who was fighting for Barcelona so the vastly superrior Moor Army could not beat me to pulp... what happens next? My groomed heir with Thal stats dies of flue after bloodletting; first I was all like:

:whatho:

Then checked who physician was before sending him to noose and....

200_s.gif

+M
So My Aldefonso II send him to ovens instead and kicked out the rest of his blood sucking tribe to Madagascar; Poor Infante Pelagio joined St Hugh of Lincoln in heavens. :flamesaw:

Last edited:

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
King contracted cancer and my court physician decided the only way to destroy it was to cut off his balls. He's a eunuch now, so I guess this is it for children. So sad, he only had 46.

oscar

Arcane
I'm doing a Asturias playthrough too and having a great time. This game is finally good again.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
It's like the motherfuckers actually did try out my Memento Mori mod and turned it into a dlc. Seriously though, glad to see they actually moved back to one of the core parts of CK. The dynasty management. Now all we need is a religious themed dlc with cathedrals, holy orders and relics and I'm back into the fold again.

Well, that and events that diminish provinces and destroy buildings.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
What we need is a DLC that makes heresies fundamentally different from each other, so that you have a reason to join one other than that you want to start killing Catholics now. There is 0 difference between Lollard, Fraticelli, Waldensian and all the rest so there's huge room for improvement.

oscar

Arcane
Some of the mods do this but it is quite pitiful that they couldn't even drum up an event or two here and there for belonging to a heresy in the base game.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well they added some religious flavor with pilgrimage and such but its not enough; My next to throne Aurelio wanted to become monk my King said no; its good to have 4 other little House of Asturias infantes cause it looks like my dynasty will have the first :obviously: Saint and his younger bros Sancho, Favila, Ramiro and Pelagio MK2 will have to carry the Cross and Sword as their Grand Grand Grand Father Palagio I did. :salute: This time Charlemagne succedded to create HRE but has only one living son left... Come on French don't collapse and leave me fighting alone the Islamic Horde... ERE is still in clutches of vile Iconoclast Heresy but holding the Abbasid tide. We need Deus Vult addon hopefully made by some Eastern Europe studio not those Swedening cucks who gave us gender equality, shatered retreat and coalitions.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The Prince and the Thane did this if I recall correctly. That mod really added heaps of atmosphere and really expanded the core gameplay. Shame it died. Always thought Paradox would keep sending out the kinds of dlc that used that strength. Herecies, tournaments, duels, plague, medieval warfare and sieges, religion and crusades. The list goes on and on. Puzzled me that instead of expanding that whole crusader kings aspect they added shit all the way to India. Matter over substance I guess.

If this dlc is made by a new team then I'm once more hopefull though.

Beastro

Arcane
Puzzled me that instead of expanding that whole crusader kings aspect they added shit all the way to India.

Considering that they don't even want to call the series that anymore in addition to their latest DLCs save this one, it shouldn't be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom