Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civilization V

DeepOcean

Arcane
Last time I heard about Civ V, people said that is was a very shitty Civilization game with broken AI but the expansions improved on the AI enough to it become playable, is this true or people are just being popamole biased as usual?

Delterius

Arcane
The real question you should ask yourself is wether the 1unit per tile stick will get irritating after a while. As for the AI, I don't know. I was never fond of Civilization's AIs.

DeepOcean

Arcane
The real question you should ask yourself is wether the 1unit per tile stick will get irritating after a while. As for the AI, I don't know. I was never fond of Civilization's AIs.

Can you select all of them and give them a command or it is like CIv 3 where you had to move each one? That shit can get really, really boring on a huge map game.

Delterius

Arcane

Can you select all of them and give them a command or it is like CIv 3 where you had to move each one? That shit can get really, really boring on a huge map game.
If I'm not mistaken, its the latter.

baturinsky

Arcane
I haven't played it since vanilla... Is it still crap, or they removed city states already?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I haven't played it since vanilla... Is it still crap, or they removed city states already?

They nerfed CS considerably, especially the maritime ones.

You move 300 of your units one by one every turn and plan to march them through a 20 tile choke point while your previously planned routes for workers and other units get canceled because some unit happened to be in a relevant tile this turn. And you do that every turn.

Last time I heard about Civ V, people said that is was a very shitty Civilization game with broken AI but the expansions improved on the AI enough to it become playable, is this true or people are just being popamole biased as usual?

AI is better but not good. You have problems losing a war because of how strong the cities now are and how the AI can hardly use their units. Also ranged units massacre everything from many tiles away.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Someone actually made a mod based in one of the most vanilla generic and bland settings ever conceived? Wow.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Played a bit of BNW as Huns, tried to be a warmongering dick with tons of faith. Didn't pay off.
The AI can be a backstabbing bastard which I like.
Banning marble for being amoral is stupid but fuck it. At least now I can has some intrigue.
But penalties for empires are big. What is even the point in that wargame system if I can't conquer anybody, cause my happiness would just hit the floor? All I can do is raze a city, and then opponent would probably just build another one with same name, and in few turns it would grow to similar size.
Ranged units are still best. Cavalry sucks ass against anything. Pikemen kill it, cities kill it, boats kill it, archers kill it, swordsmen kill it... seems like best army is 3-4 archers or their equivalents, 1 infantry and 1 horseman for razing farms.
Religion... had a ton of religion, could buy units reliably, but having ton of money would be a lot better. It's not like playing Hive or Believers in SMAC, can't win with numbers, even with super buffed fanatical experienced numbers, have to do science and moneyz and think small.
In the end I got stuck somewhere around late mid game by having too many cities and not enough science. Had to fight four city states and two enemies at the same time, bah. I should probably try it with smaller empire and with less LARP, more trading posts and shit.

oscar

Arcane
I feel the game is a little too harsh on warmongers or even large peaceful empires. When I can barely keep up with the happiness demands of my own populace what point is there to conquering other than to slap down my rivals?

Conquering and even settling only seems worth it to acquire resources you would otherwise be unable to. And even then if you let them grow to even a moderate size they end up sucking more happiness than their resources provide.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
True, there is no incentive for expansion until at least late-mid game. Before that its better to just pop up another settler. This issue could be mitigated a bit if you could seed the map with more civs to overpopulate it - currently the only reason for expansion is when you are boxed in at the start which happens rarely.

Luzur

Good Sir
True, there is no incentive for expansion until at least late-mid game. Before that its better to just pop up another settler. This issue could be mitigated a bit if you could seed the map with more civs to overpopulate it - currently the only reason for expansion is when you are boxed in at the start which happens rarely.

maybe more of those barbarian states seeded in at start?

Shadenuat

Arcane
So I installed "What would Ghandi do?" mod, it should remove AI happiness bonuses but give him better production, and it indeed seems to do so, I think it gives AI's some free Golden Ages and makes them more aggressive, so now it feels more like basic Civ5 but with all BNW improvements of course and better AI. No more free 30-cized cities for AI, everything is much more even and smooth. I played one game on low difficulty (Prince) to test it out and while it was easy to win I still got a few surprises.

I played Egypt, focused on building wonders and making tall empire. First turns I get rushed by barbarians and 5-6 Montezuma units, manage to kick them out by moving chariots around cities, but can't do anything else. Gathered some forces and backstabbed the prick, and it all went downhill as most civs on pangea started to denounce me, with exception of mongols who acted as warmongers themselves and already conquered a city state (!) and were kicking Poland ball around. The Poland ball seems was made of mithril as mongols were fighting poles for ~1500 years and still couldn't grab Warsaw because it was between mountains and the sea, only when mongols got planes things started to change a bit. Meanwhile I destroyed azteks and prepared to conquer Theodora who was the council leader and constantly annoyed me. So I captured her capital and prepared to sit around and play with culture, when she suddenly attacks me again "it is impossibru but i will fight u", and then BRAZILIAN SLAUGHTER who is ahead of me in tech and also has, just as me, modern artillery and better infantry attacks me. So I am almost in the middle of world war there, grab oil from city state and D-Day BRAZILIAN SLAUGHTER with panzers, foreign legions (what a cheating ability) and artillery. In the end me and mongols have half of pangea each although I lead. Mongols still couldn't capture Warsaw, btw, even with bombers and modern infantry. Game ends with my diplomatic victory.

Much fun almost like real Civ, just still have to move 20 units around and get constantly stuck between mountains and shit. Will try the mod on higher difficulties later.

Gozma

Arcane
Just bought the super everything edition in the steam sale, should I play games installing the DLC stepwise to appreciate what they do or is it all just straight improvement and I should put everything in from the start?

Gozma

Arcane
Also apparently it doesn't have the latest big expansion so they done fucked me

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just bought the super everything edition in the steam sale, should I play games installing the DLC stepwise to appreciate what they do or is it all just straight improvement and I should put everything in from the start?
Only play vanilla if you hate yourself. I have yet to play the most recent expansion, but I would never play less than G&K.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Don't know about the last expansion, but I'd say the game is super-boring without the first one.

edit: too slow sorry

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom