Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civ goes hexagonal

Gerrard

Arcane
Sid Meier’s Civilization V players will enjoy the benefits of the Steamworks’ features included in all PC versions such as
auto-updating,
Steam Achievements,
downloadable content,
multiplayer matchmaking and more.

Sid Meier’s Civilization V Digital Deluxe Edition
will expand players’ conquests with the new Babylonian civilization and their ruler, Nebuchadnezzar II (c. 630 – c. 561 B.C.).
As King of Babylon, gamers will be able to expand their empire with advanced Babylonian Bowmen to rightfully earn the title of Nebuchadnezzar the Great. Sid Meier’s Civilization V Digital Deluxe Edition will also include an in-depth “Behind the Scenes at Firaxis with Civilization V” video feature, as well as the game’s epic soundtrack.

Gamers who pre-order any version of Sid Meier’s Civilization V from Steam will receive
the downloadable bonus content, Cradle of Civilization Map Pack: Mesopotamia,
for free when the game is available.
The map pack will let players experience the traditional Western and Middle Eastern “Cradle of Civilization.”
The pack will include the Fertile Crescent with the Nile River valley to the west and extending east down the Tigris and Euphrates river valleys to the Persian Gulf. Leaders will be able to explore new terrain, cultures and conquests
the Standard Edition will set you back $49.99/€49.99/£29.99, while the Digital Deluxe Edition, including an exclusive scenario, goes for an inflated $59.99/€59.99/£39.99:

MetalCraze

Arcane
For fuck's sake man. Civ5 is doomed.
Achievements?
Fucking DLC?
$10 for an additional civilization right from day 0?
Inability to play the game unless you'll install a crappy steam update that can't be even used as a separate patch?

Fuck this shit.

I never paid for online DRM distribution and I never will.

Tails

Arbiter
The same shit will probably happen to X-COM game, if they gonna develop it. Oh well, Alpha Centauri and Test of Time never get boring.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
MetalCraze said:
Fucking DLC?.

Civ 3 and Civ 4 had DLC... they were just called expansions and cost around $30-$40 at the time of their releases.

Gerrard

Arcane
Now you're going to have 2 dollar units and 10 dollar civilizations.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wow. The first bit of information I that I'm unhappy with.

Fez

Erudite
I hate this micropayment nonsense that has taken hold of the industry. I just want a game and maybe a decent sized expansion now and then. Not someone trying to bleed me dry by the cent or dollar.

Fez said:
I hate this micropayment nonsense that has taken hold of the industry. I just want a game and maybe a decent sized expansion now and then. Not someone trying to bleed me dry by the cent or dollar.

1eyedking

Erudite
Metro said:
Civ 3 and Civ 4 had DLC... they were just called expansions and cost around $30-$40 at the time of their releases.
i_see_what_you_did_there.jpg

ricolikesrice

Arcane
fucking hell :(

i hope the Fall from Heaven standalone doesnt go the same retarded route else what looked like a great future for strategy gaming is turning shit really quick.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
oscar said:
I don't think I like the road thing. I never went crazy with the roads in Civ as it just meant the enemy could move into my cities quicker. And I don't really see how the spaghetti junction is a problem either. Over time more advanced civilizations built roads all over the place (how many 'tiles' in your country don't have roads?). So you know people could move around quicker. Primitive societies never got around to it (in game too busy building farms and chopping down forests).

Movement takes long enough in this game as it is without roads costing upkeep.

Could mean that the road symbolises the big trade route, super highway and so on. That way it can kind of be explained becaus from what i know wheat grow very badly on roads.

I am still buying this game.

ChristofferC

Magister
This is a no-buy for me now. I will not buy DRM infested games on principle!!

Too bad, because I do want to support the Civ series.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'll never understand why people hate something just based on its model without regard to the value/content provided. If I'm proven wrong and they just milk it by charging $5 for a single civilization then fine but I'd rather wait and see what they do than jump on the cliched anti-DLC bandwagon.

A lot of people here have pretty selective memories -- the four expansions for Civ 3 and 4 were pretty mediocre in terms of additional content and substantive changes but because they were 'expansions' and not 'DLC' its perfectly okay? Honestly 'Conquests' for Civ 3 was the only one with decent content. Of course most of the people here probably pirated them so dunno why the complaints about pricing.

ChristofferC

Magister
Metro said:
I'll never understand why people hate something just based on its model without regard to the value/content provided. If I'm proven wrong and they just milk it by charging $5 for a single civilization then fine but I'd rather wait and see what they do than jump on the cliched anti-DLC bandwagon.

A lot of people here have pretty selective memories -- the four expansions for Civ 3 and 4 were pretty mediocre in terms of additional content and substantive changes but because they were 'expansions' and not 'DLC' its perfectly okay? Honestly 'Conquests' for Civ 3 was the only one with decent content. Of course most of the people here probably pirated them so dunno why the complaints about pricing.
They charge $10 for a single civilization in the "deluxe" package.

Fez

Erudite
If I want a car, I want to buy a car. I don't want to have to buy bits of the car and then put it all together to get the full "car experience" that the designers actually intended the driver to have.

This is what you have with micropayments and games. It's heading to the road where things are stripped and left out to bleed you of a few dollars more later on. I can see it eventually getting as bad as those magazines that offer you a part of a model each week and take years to finish, so that the model costs you a small fortune in the end instead of just buying whole for a fraction of the price.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Steam?
Like, obligatory Steam as in Empire Total War?

I would've preordered, but now I'll just torrent. Fuck this shit.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
If I'm proven wrong and they just milk it by charging $5 for a single civilization then fine but I'd rather wait and see what they do than jump on the cliched anti-DLC bandwagon.

Where have you been during the last two years? It's been proven by each and every publisher and developer that DLC = milking foolish customers. The instances of "free DLC", ie patches with extra content can be counted with the fingers of a one hand.

But because majority of people are dumb, it works extremely well. The mail-order, small-monthly-payments business model has been thriving for decades and it relies on the same human instinct.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom