Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civ goes hexagonal

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
Sounds like a good decision if they pull it of right.

Also reading the features, I didn't saw the words streamlining or accessibility even once.

Civ IV was a huge improvement over the turd that was civ3. Let's hope they won't disappoint us this time.

Panthera

Scholar
I came so hard my ejaculate reached escape velocity and is now orbiting the earth.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Fuck. Yes.

IV was awesome. CIV is about the only product that keeps evolving without dumbing down.

Fingers crossed. Trying to resist being hyped.

Yeesh

Magister
When I was a young man, naive and full of optimism and possessed of a 386 (sx b/c we were poor folk), I used to play Civ and MoM and think, "MAN! I can't wait until computers get powerful enough that game designers are going to leave these squares behind. It's going to be fucking awesome."

Now, almost 20 years later, Civ is moving from squares... to hexagons. I guess if there were a way to lay out 5-sided shapes to make a play area, this would be slightly less underwhelming, as they'd have at least leap-frogged a bit. But as it stands, I'm just floored that after all this time, with the massive fucking advances in processing and graphics power, a game like Civ still has to have squares or hexes at all. How about measuring unit's movement in fucking circles, adjusting for terrain of course? How about having cities just grow outward organically? How about just trying something a little fucking different, especially in this era of gaming where sales and game quality don't even seem tangentially related? The stakes have never been lower. Why not innovate just a little?

RuySan

Augur
Yeesh said:
When I was a young man, naive and full of optimism and possessed of a 386 (sx b/c we were poor folk), I used to play Civ and MoM and think, "MAN! I can't wait until computers get powerful enough that game designers are going to leave these squares behind. It's going to be fucking awesome."

Now, almost 20 years later, Civ is moving from squares... to hexagons. I guess if there were a way to lay out 5-sided shapes to make a play area, this would be slightly less underwhelming, as they'd have at least leap-frogged a bit. But as it stands, I'm just floored that after all this time, with the massive fucking advances in processing and graphics power, a game like Civ still has to have squares or hexes at all. How about measuring unit's movement in fucking circles, adjusting for terrain of course? How about having cities just grow outward organically? How about just trying something a little fucking different, especially in this era of gaming where sales and game quality don't even seem tangentially related? The stakes have never been lower. Why not innovate just a little?

Because it would be very hard to have convincing AI. Just check the difference between Medieval: Total War and the TW games that came after.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
Yeesh said:
How about having cities just grow outward organically?
the cities in civ IV do outgrow their square somewhat

looking forward to this... with the hexes a decent battletech mod becomes possible

.Sigurd

Educated
screenshot_01.jpg

screenshot_02.jpg

screenshot_03.jpg

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Looking awesome. Cant wait to play it. I think I'm seriously interested for the first time in ages.

Fingers crossed for gameplay being as good as grasphics. And not dumbed down. Or alternatively game being easy to mod.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Fens said:
Yeesh said:

looking forward to this... with the hexes a decent battletech mod becomes possible

And that outgrowing is stupid. I mean lets calculate how big is one hex exactly? Lets not actually but it is huge. Megalopolis didnt appear until late XX century.

Alex

Arcane
Yeesh, without gameplay rules that really took into account a continuous representation (as opposed to a discrete ones, like board games with spaces), this wouldn't be much of an improvement. All it would do is make things more complex without adding anything to the game.

On the other hand, if you do add rules to make use of this system, you have to make sure they make sense in the context of a civ game. Personally, I am ok with hexagons or squares (though I prefer squares that connect on the edges) for a civ game. While distances are certainly important in a civ game, I think that a continuous map would be better placed in games where careful positioning of many units where more of an issue.

spectre

Arcane
The problem is, the AI in CiV4 is predictable shis anyways. And this comes from a guy that likes it.

Because there are smart people out there that realise that you do not fiddle with core gameplay if it just happens to work.
You want something fucking little different, there's plenty of other stuff to choose from. Now, the rest of us would like our Civilization fix, thank you.

Honestly, the only thing Civ needs is a better combat system and AI that doesn't rely on cheats.
Improved espionage and diplomacy would be nice, too. Innovashun? Nope.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
Malakal said:
Fens said:
Yeesh said:

And that outgrowing is stupid. I mean lets calculate how big is one hex exactly? Lets not actually but it is huge. Megalopolis didnt appear until late XX century.

as the everything you build is actually shown on the overview map, the whole city-gfx had to grow, i presume

i wouldn't mind a return to a special city screen for the eye candy (as you won't look at it twice anyway), instead of the civ IV-type city growth

mondblut

Arcane
Why can't they make a proper MOM or MOO sequel for a change? How many more iterations of "ancient greece goes to alpha centauri" do we need?

Hexes my ass.

Yeesh

Magister
Alex said:
Yeesh, without gameplay rules that really took into account a continuous representation (as opposed to a discrete ones, like board games with spaces), this wouldn't be much of an improvement. All it would do is make things more complex without adding anything to the game.

On the other hand, if you do add rules to make use of this system, you have to make sure they make sense in the context of a civ game. Personally, I am ok with hexagons or squares (though I prefer squares that connect on the edges) for a civ game. While distances are certainly important in a civ game, I think that a continuous map would be better placed in games where careful positioning of many units where more of an issue.

Of course the rules would need to take into account life without squares or hexes, but I don't see it as a huge change. Instead of pathing by moving straight and diagonal, just drag your units where you want them, and let the computer figure out on the fly how far you can take it in one turn, stopping your unit there when you go to drag it farther. Then you decide if you want to drop it there or not. Group units together just like in Civ 4 and calculate the movement based on the slowest one. Whatever.

And cities, instead of clicking on squares, just let it happen. Pick from a few areas of focus, the way you can in current civs, but instead of filling in a bunch of squares (instantly) with a large fraction of your workers per square, just let the computer put up little farms and little mines and whatever in an ever-expanding circle, further away for the choicest terrain, and only using the crappy stuff when the rest is filled up.

I don't know, I don't see it as a big problem, but I'm no programmer.

To be honest, what I also considered right around the corner during the 386 days was the same game, just with 9x as many squares. Make them smaller, and make each one matter less. I've always supported an increase in complexity coupled with an increase in automation. The less each click matters, the easier it is to cede control to the AI and focus more on the cool parts. Then again, for a lot of folks the micromanaging is the cool part. I dunno.

Finally, I've always wanted raiding parties/warbands/legions/armies of mixed types of units, of which you control the composition, instead of giant formations of all cannon, all spearmen, all knights. I wanted my units to look like masses of different troops seen from way high up, as opposed to pretty pictures of this type or that.

But I still loves me some Civ, so I'm pleased they're making another one, and making some changes. Now make them bring back SMAC.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
ChristofferC said:
2010 is shaping up to become the best year for PC gaming in a while. :)

Because of Oblivion MMO, amirite? :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom